NO SIGNS OF LABOR... YET(?)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

feebeel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I could be doing the math wrong, but I don't think she's getting enough to eat each day by a fair amount.  Can you post a photo?  Are you feeding her through the night as well?  Do you know how much she weighs?
To be honest, I can't really give you the exact amount of what she's eating everyday, because she eats different amount every time.... I lost track... I'm such a bad "mother"

Yes, I feed her every night, also every 3 hours. I have been feeding her day and night every two hours in the first week, and I started feeding every 3 hours started Day 7...

My scale broke... need to get new batteries for it, but I haven't left my house every since she was born.......... 

I think i'm going crazy. I'm sorry... 

Last edited:

feebeel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
But I think, these two days, she has been WAYYYY more active, as she started walking, rolling around.... maybe she used up her energy faster...? So she eats more...? *sigh*... 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

As she's now 13 days old, I feed her every 3 hours. 

I usually let her eat until she doesn't want anymore. And that would be usually 2-3ml. 

But every time is different. This time she eats a little, but the next time she eats a lot. 

No problem in the past 13 days, but it started crying today... 
This sounds as little.  The rule of thumb for kmr or goats milk is 8 ml / oz per day.    Say she is 250 grammes now. its 8 oz, ie about 65 ml kmr or goats milk a day.   Given every 3 hours, 8 times a day, is 8 ml at a time...

What was entirely sufficuent when she was newborn, is too little as she is growing...

In necessary, you can give her more often than every  3 hours.  More work for you of course, but.

Anyways, my guess is she IS hungry.

Are you burping her too?  This may be a reason for uneasy stomach...

feebeel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

This sounds as little.  The rule of thumb for kmr or goats milk is 8 ml / oz per day.    Say she is 250 grammes now. its 8 oz, ie about 65 ml kmr or goats milk a day.   Given every 3 hours, 8 times a day, is 8 ml at a time...

What was entirely sufficuent when she was newborn, is too little as she is growing...

In necessary, you can give her more often than every  3 hours.  More work for you of course, but.

Anyways, my guess is she IS hungry.

Are you burping her too?  This may be a reason for uneasy stomach...
Okay.

I had a difficult time figuring out how much she eats every time as the milk bottle shows in ounce and my math is bad. 

So I used google for help. 

At this moment, I am not sure how much she weighs, I will replace new batteries for my scale soon. 

Roughly calculated, she eats about 2ounces of milk every 24 hours. Which is about... 60ml per day. 

60ml divided by 8 times a day = 7.375ml per time. 

I will try to feed her more often, but it's either she refuses to eat, or she eats a lot. 

Yes, I burp her every time too. 

She just cried again. one hour after the last feeding, which she had 7ml of milk. 

I didn't feed her this time. I just pat her, and stroke her then she fell asleep.....................................

Just tell me I'm over reacting to this... Cats meows, right? Why am I panicking...? 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Okay.

I had a difficult time figuring out how much she eats every time as the milk bottle shows in ounce and my math is bad. 

So I used google for help. 

At this moment, I am not sure how much she weighs, I will replace new batteries for my scale soon. 

Roughly calculated, she eats about 2ounces of milk every 24 hours. Which is about... 60ml per day. 

60ml divided by 8 times a day = 7.375ml per time. 

I will try to feed her more often, but it's either she refuses to eat, or she eats a lot. 

Yes, I burp her every time too. 

She just cried again. one hour after the last feeding, which she had 7ml of milk. 

I didn't feed her this time. I just pat her, and stroke her then she fell asleep.....................................

Just tell me I'm over reacting to this... Cats meows, right? Why am I panicking...? 
Yes, she perhaps DID needed her Momma.  and thus, patting and stroking now and then is what the doctor prescibes,  as alternative to food and burping and elimination.    :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You need a scale asap that works. You need to know the kitten's weight daily. You need to write down how much she eats at each feeding. It's the only way to know for sure if she's gaining properly. She needs to eat every 2 hours at 13 days old, and should weigh about 7 ounces minimum.

I suggested earlier that you see a vet for eye ointment for the kitten.

How is the mama cat doing? Is she staying 100% in the house? Have you scheduled a spay for her?

feebeel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello :) 

It has been a month I haven't been on this site. 
Was very busy lately as I started a full time job. 

ever since the last message here, we have been through quite a lot. 

She got a skin infection, eye infection and diarrhea started again. 

Went to the vet, took a long time to fix her everything, she is now better. 

Other than her skin... she had some some hair loss problem...

She is now 6 weeks old, started weaning her into soupy dry foods, but there it goes, diarrhea. Will go visit the doctor soon. 

His father is now neutered, had to take care of him too as his face is too flat and can't eat from his bowl, needs to feed him. 

That's it for now. Really thank you all for helping me in the last 2 months!!!!! 

Here's a new pic of the kitten. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Has the vet treated the diarrhea? It may need to be treated with medicine for parasites as well as an antibiotic.

Also, what exactly are you feeding the kitten?

The dad should be able to eat on his own. Can you post a picture of his face please? How old is he? I'm wondering if he is ill. What are you feeding him?

feebeel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@posiepurrs

Can you weigh in on the health of the Persians here? Sounds like dad needs some help too!
:(

Sounds like.. my house is full of sick cats :'(

The dad couldn't eat is because of his cone~~~ I hope he's not ill :( 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can remove the cone during meals so he can eat comfortably. Additionally, he really doesn't need the cone. Males heal very quickly. He may do a little genital licking, but it won't hurt anything.

The kitten needs to learn to eat pate-style wet food now, in addition to the dry food. Let us know how the vet appointment goes.

feebeel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can remove the cone during meals so he can eat comfortably. Additionally, he really doesn't need the cone. Males heal very quickly. He may do a little genital licking, but it won't hurt anything.

The kitten needs to learn to eat pate-style wet food now, in addition to the dry food. Let us know how the vet appointment goes.
Oh... our vet said he must have his cone on until Sunday........................ and she warned us that we MUST NOT take it off... that's why... haha

Okay! I will tell you know when I'm back from the vet. Thanks a lot sarthur2 :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh... our vet said he must have his cone on until Sunday........................ and she warned us that we MUST NOT take it off... that's why... haha

Okay! I will tell you know when I'm back from the vet. Thanks a lot sarthur2 :)
Yes, please take the cone off. He needs to be able to eat.

The kitten does look a bit thin and I think it should be eating more.

feebeel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, please take the cone off. He needs to be able to eat.

The kitten does look a bit thin and I think it should be eating more.
Thank you! I will take his cone off, and will feed the kitten more times + portion. :) Thank you! 

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, kittens MUST be allowed to eat as much as they want.  Remember, their bodies are growing, need extra fuel for that. 

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How's it going?? Really hope the kitten is eating lots and looking healthy and the rest of your cat family are doing great and you too of course xx [emoji]128578[/emoji] Please post photos xx