NO Rabies!! Woot!

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AnneRiceBowl

bats don't carry rabies.

Was there some reason you thought you had rabies from a bat? I must have missed something.
Bats are a natural reservoir for rabies.

It's great that you're safe! I've been told that human rabies shots are VERY pricey...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Katzyn

Bats are a natural reservoir for rabies.

It's great that you're safe! I've been told that human rabies shots are VERY pricey...
I think they are covered by OHIP here...the gov makes you get them if you have been exposed.

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I think they are covered by OHIP here...the gov makes you get them if you have been exposed.
I wonder if the gov't takes care of them here, too, if you've been -exposed-. I think when my teacher said they were pricey, he meant that if you were getting them just as a precaution, then they were upwards of $300.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
wonderful news Nat!!! Now you and Trout don't have to worry anymore.
RIP Dori.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Katzyn

I wonder if the gov't takes care of them here, too, if you've been -exposed-. I think when my teacher said they were pricey, he meant that if you were getting them just as a precaution, then they were upwards of $300.
The government covers most medical care here

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't understand your post so I went and found the original and read it all the way through. Having a bat in your house must have been traumatic! Glad it's over and that you're ok.

They are good and useful creatures in their CORRECT environment - eating tons of mosquitos and helping to pollenate plants.

I actually touched a tame bat, several of them. I was working on a local morning TV show and we had guests from the zoo come in with hand-raised bats. They said the bats are genetically closer to monkeys than rodents. Their fur was really soft and their wings leathery. It was really cool.

The pic of that big bat on someone's post looks like a flying fox - a huge bat that lives in Australia. Saw them on Animal Planet.