No Pets Policy

catlady810

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our apartments don't require declawing, but we did also have to pay a 200 pet depsoit. We are also required to show vet papers, which I think is really understandable. We're to the point with Sushi we can understand why apartments require declawing. We're getting the claw caps this weekend, hopefully we can get them on her without ending up in the ER.

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I own a condo where pets are allowed. I think the main reason for allowing pets was because no one would buy here if they were not allowed.

The rule clearly state "cats and dogs" are allowed. As well as pet birds and small animals.

The rules also state that sheep, chickens, and live stock are not allowed.

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Jeez, if you think pet restrictions in apartments are bad, then listen to this! When my parents were looking for apartments in St. Louis County in 1987 it was still legal for landlords to put limits on the number of CHILDREN their tenants had! My parents were turned down many times just because they had TWO! Disgusting.

Anyway, I picked this apartment complex I'm living in now because now only did they allow cats at all, they allowed 2. I only had one at the time, but I was planning to get another one. Now they allow small dogs (yay!), too, but still limit it to 2. There is a pet fee, but my apartment complex "swept it under the rug" since I'm a poor grad student. They've been in several times for maintenance reasons already (I moved in in January!), and they all love Loki. Possum hides, so they've never seen him, though they know about him.

I can understand a non-refundable deposit (my dog, Lady cleared that one up for me), but I just don't get the additional charge tacked onto the rent every month! It's not like they're doing anything for the animals! And I find the ones that require declawing reprehensible. Damages should be covered by the initial deposit, or even the extra rent fee.

Also, good luck to everyone finding a good, cat-friendly apartment! I'm sure you'll all find one!

Tricia

dodie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!

I was absolutely stunned to read your posts. I couldn't believe that some towns have a pet limit! I am so glad that I have my three cats and couldn't imagine the government deciding how many pets I was allowed to have.

I live in Hong Kong (although am British by nationality) and thought the US was super pet friendly! I know of apartments in Hong Kong that don't allow pets, but I also know that many people ignore it - infact, one of my friends has two bengals in an apartment and no one knows! But this is normal and everyone is aware of the situation - as long as no one sees them, you're fine. They bought the apartment (in Hong Kong, almost all homes are apartments and not houses).

You've made me thankful for my three cats!

Good luck finding a pet friendly home!

Dodie

Check out my cat's blog and leave me a comment!

http://starbuckandtorrey.blogspot.com/