No more TCS while at school for me!!

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I think that pretty much says it all - KIDS don't want to be there if it isn't fun. Unfortunately kids often don't know what is best for them and need someone to tell them (even if they don't want to listen). Well, you know what, life isn't always fun either and for those who have ambition and motivation they will always find something else to do and/or learn even if they have finished one assignment when in the classroom, and still find time to "play" and "have fun" after class.

If I were a teacher I would definitely not allow my students to waste valuable time and I would make sure that those students that finished their assignments quickly were actually getting most of the assignment correct and not just hurrying it up so they could "play".
Wow! I don't know about you, but since when was school supposed to be the military!!! Good students should be rewarded for finishing their work early (and correctly) and I don't see that doing some research on the internet is such a bad thing - Better that they learn how to use the internet correctly whilst still in school so that they can use it as a better tool when they get into university!

And yes, I do think that KIDS should have fun in school - I think we need to give them more credit than we already give them - Treat them like children and they will act like it - Treat them like contributing members of society and they will act like it!!! Respect is something that children should receive as well.

I learned much more from the teachers at my school who treated me like a collegue instead of treating me like I was beneath them.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But at the same time, many kids have to be taught to appreciate the fun in learning something. Too many only equate fun with a video game.

Since when did school become a place with no time to 'play'? Ever heard of high stakes testing and school accountability to state and national governments?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jane_vernon

And yes, I do think that KIDS should have fun in school - I think we need to give them more credit than we already give them - Treat them like children and they will act like it - Treat them like contributing members of society and they will act like it!!! Respect is something that children should receive as well.

I learned much more from the teachers at my school who treated me like a collegue instead of treating me like I was beneath them.
We did have fun in school and we were given credit and special treats for being good students. But we had to EARN the respect. I've not met many teachers who come down hard on good students. But then we must remember that there are 2 sides to every story and we are only hearing one.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I finnished an assignment. especially in computer lab. i asked for extra credit. It looks good to the teacher. it challanged me And was often fun..than again I graduated a year early too..

mommalori

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow how mean... there again my school has an antichat program and I'm not sure if forums are included (the only class I have with a comp is int. algebra and I neeeed the time there.....)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lil_axl_gurl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friends at school and I we know how to multi-task and talk and do our work at the same time. I mean you can't put a group of teenagers together in one room and expect them to NOT talk. So of course we'll be talking and the teacher will bite our heads of and snap at us "GET TO WORK!"........Uuh..we ARE working..