No More Outdoors...Why..

baebaecatcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am just curious if anyone can give me a little advice here..My cat is now 3 yrs old..She is a tabby and is fixed..She has always loved to go outdoors..She goes to sleep around 9pm every night and goes out around 6am when my husband leaves for work..And returns back indoors around 7pm everynight...For some reason the last like 2 weeks she has not wanted to go out..She will go to the door and look out like she wants to but when you allow her to she does not want to..she steps away..Her eating habits or nothing has changed..She has always went out to use the bathroom now we even have noticed her in her liter botx which she has not used since being a kitten...Im thinking its either the temps have rose alot..Its not 80+ everyday OR its the kids are out stirring around since they are out of school...Any ideals or suggestions..??..

jillian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If she's not showing any intrest in going outdoors, why not keep her as an indoor only kitty? She'll be much safer that way.

Also... a vet checkup may be in order... just to be sure that she isn't sick in any way.

Oh, and welcome to the boards!

talon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No way to tell for sure, but my guess is that something probably scared her badly and she is afraid to go out.

Better for her to stay in anyway!

simmyandnunny

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She could be running into a bully cat. Or like you said, other kids running around. Is it a problem that she remain in doors?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

baebaecatcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all SO very much for the info..Actually she has her yearly checkup the end of this month..So I dont think I will rush it..Shes not seeming ill to me becuase she still wants to play indoors..And actually having her inside is really nice..And its not a problem at all..I guess I was just worried since she has always seemed to like the outdoors...
I think also there is a bully cat around..She did get into a fight not long ago..So this could also have a little to do with it..
But I dont think its anything I should really worry sick over...

And I am glad to be aboard..If you all have anything I can help with let me know..I am a BIG TIME cat lover...
Thanks U Alll

simmyandnunny

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jillian

If she's not showing any intrest in going outdoors, why not keep her as an indoor only kitty? She'll be much safer that way.

Also... a vet checkup may be in order... just to be sure that she isn't sick in any way.

Oh, and welcome to the boards!
I would have to disagree with that. Because she's all of a sudden decided she's not going out for whatever reason, that would be cruel to make her an indoor only cat. While I understand wanting to keep our cats safe, if they've been outside and are then not allowed anymore, that's just cruel.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

baebaecatcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
See I kinda thought that..Because she does seem a little sad about not going outside..She acts if is she wants to..Going to the door looking out and then just stepping away...So I think I will call the vet and ask about it..Maybe she can tell me a few tricks of the trade...LoL

talon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that likes to look out the door, but has no desire to actually go outside. I wouldn't force her, she would be scared to death and in IMHO that would be cruel since she is so obviously afraid of the big bad outside.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with others that something might have spooked her.

simmyandnunny

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If it's a matter of her having been frightened out there, just give her some time. She'll go back out, just be patient.

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SimmyandNunny

I would have to disagree with that. Because she's all of a sudden decided she's not going out for whatever reason, that would be cruel to make her an indoor only cat. While I understand wanting to keep our cats safe, if they've been outside and are then not allowed anymore, that's just cruel.
It would be cruel to make her go out if she doesn't want to go out.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds as if she's been spooked by something. Hard to know what for sure, so she'll just have to work it through in her own way, in her own time.Meanwhile, you're enjoying having her inside, which also gives you a good opportunity to keep an eye on her for other changes, which might indicate some other cause for this change in behaviour.

I'd say don't force the issue either way. If she wants to stay in, fine; if her interest in the outdoors returns, fine, though I think I'd want to watch her outside for a bit to see if it's possible to figure out what the problem was. Either way, though, let her make up her own mind.

And, of course, when she's being checked by the vet, tell them about this and any other changes, and see if they have any suggestions for you.

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I totally agree with the others that it's a spooked issue. My Sasha is 13 and totally and outdoor boy. But he's also very experienced....and when he's hesitant to go out, that's just fine with me! He stays inside and is perfectly happy. Cats have an inordinate sixth-sense about them and it works in so many different ways. Take clues from your sweet kitty and don't force or fret the issue (if health is all good, etc) and bond with her as your home being a fortress she can rely on. I think it's great that you're so sensitive to see this and bounce it off everyone.
I will have a soft spot in my heart for Tabbies forever.

dvandyke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a male cat named Luke Skywalker that was a wild kitten when I first got him. He wanted to go out so bad when I first got him but I knew that he would run away (plus we have wild animals around my place that would eat little kitties) and I wanted an indoor cat so I kept him indoors. We discovered that he had a problem with his claws that forced us to get all four paws declawed so now he has to stay inside because he can't defend himself. One night he ran out and we could not find him anywhere. About one in the morning he was howling at the front door and all beat up and bloodied by another cat. For months after that he never tried to go outside but would just stand at the door like he wanted too. He now darts out again but NEVER ventures off the porch. It is his safetly zone. It sounds like what your cat is doing. I agree she probably is scared about something. I would just enjoy her while she is wanting to stay inside and let her work out her problems with the scary outside. And she may decide from now on that staying close around the house is more to her liking like Luke did. He is really happy now. (Well as happy as a fussy cat can ever be)

nano

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Consider giving the cat a window perch where she can enjoy viewing the outdoors with the comfort of being indoors.