no more animals

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by notme1295

People here are so preachy. I don't know that I'll continue to post here.
I'm sorry you feel that way, and I'm not sure what's prompted it. I've not seen anyone preaching, and I've not seen ANYONE (ok, maybe one, but she even apologized) on this thread tell nyzki that she was not a good pet owner, only that they agree that if s/he (?) doesn't believe she can afford them, she should not get any MORE pets. Yes, her original post sounded a bit desperate and frustrated, but I believe we've all been there, myself included. I currently have five cats and a dog, and am going back to school full-time, so I'm not sure where the money's going to come from. Food and routine vet visits I can plan for, but just one emergency will cause a real strain on my budget if it happens in the near future. These cats are family, they belonged to my mother, and as long as I can adequately care for them I will continue to do so, but I know it will be many many years before I can afford to add a new pet to my menagerie, even if God forbid I should lose even one.

So I will be a horrible person and APPLAUD the person who started this thread... thank you for loving animals enough to give yours a home, I know it can be hard sometimes but NEVER DOUBT that you're the best home for them. Without you they might be put to sleep, mistreated, etc, and at least they know they have a roof over their heads. Thank you for giving them that.
I don't think you're a horrible person at all (and I know that was just a dramatic statement). I quite agree with you. It IS difficult on a low income to care for our critters, but when we do, we should all be pleased and revel in the unconditional love we get from them. And if we can't rant occasionally to fellow pet owners, who can we talk to. One of the reasons I call my best friend and rant and rave to her is because she is able to calm me down, give me a fresh perspective on my troubles, and tell me it's ok to feel what i'm feeling.

And DO NOT let these people make you apologize. They have NO CLUE.
1) No one's MADE nyzki apologize, and 2)if you read back thru this thread, there are quite a number of us who have more than a clue, and we're all here to help each other. I'm very sorry that you don't feel that way.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I could really go off here but it would serve no purpose. People who have the habit of feeling like they are victims, instead of claiming responsibility for their own behavior & seeking solutions for their problems, are ignorant. I am not saying that they are stupid...just immature & uninformed.
I live on a fixed income. My kitties health & well being is totally dependant on me. I do not consider their care a sacriface. I feel it is an honor to share my life with them. I scrimp, save & do whatever I can to be sure that they have what they need to live a good life.
If you can't afford to care for an animal, the bottom line is...don't adopt.

purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember a few years ago (I'm 25) I told my mom that I wanted to have a baby. I said that I know I could handle a baby. She asked me: "What about when you want a new outfit or something and you can't get it because the baby needs diapers?" I decided I wasn't ready to have a baby ~ lol.

We (my housemate & I) don't really struggle financially, but I also have to watch what I get Cupid. Last year for xmas, my housemate gave me $500 and I spent it all on Cupid, and was happy to do so. It made me so happy...and I'm passionate about shopping!

Anyway, my point is that I don't think it should be an issue because if you love them, you will do whatever it takes.

I understand your frustration! I worry all the time about my cat's health and happiness, and sometimes I worry SO much that I wish I never got him simply because it's so exhausting and I become consumed by it and actually wonder if he would be happier elsewhere. My friend told me that's why I'm a good cat-mommy, because I worry. I told her that's why I don't think I'll be having kids for a very long time ~ lol. So I think if your cat's welfare makes you worry so much that, at times, you wish you hadn't gotten them or will never get another, then you're a good cat-mommy.

It's when you're SURE your cats are as happy as they could possibly be at YOUR home, there's a problem.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear you have felt so frustrated about your situation, hopefully you will be in a better position in the future and not have to worry about things so much. I do know how you feel, i have spent over nearly £500 at my vets this year so far (was £300, i foolishly took on another cat, and it rocketed, as a result, i will stick at 2 cats, and might just have fosters when the next cat goes till the money situation is better), the first £400 went on the credit card, but then i got up to the limit, so have had to use the current account and the overdraft, but the cats needed vet treatment. I do know that it isnt the best way to pay for things, and i do worry loads about getting the credit card down and getting out of the overdraft, and i suppose i should really look into ways to save, but my cats would always get what they need - this week, i have barely any food in the house till i get paid tomorrow, yet the cats have enough food to last till Mon!! I am dreading when i pass my driving test and am looking for a car. On one hand, it will make vets trips easier, and i will prob help more with cats, but the money does scare me.

I do think rather than being so judgemental, we should allow people to let off steam, and appreciate the fact that they have learned the hard way how much money and hard work goes into animals, and are going to use that lesson wisely.

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by booktigger

I do think rather than being so judgemental, we should allow people to let off steam, and appreciate the fact that they have learned the hard way how much money and hard work goes into animals, and are going to use that lesson wisely.
I agree. Living in a mansion with infinite funds to your name should not be a prerequisite of pet ownership. Being able to offer a loving home where the pet will have a far better quality of life than it would've in a ditch or abandoned lot somewhere should.

IMO, even the most basic of vetcare (shots, s/n, worming) and the cheapest of foods available regularly is a far cry better than no vet care, an occasional dinner from a trash can, horrible parasite infestations, being constantly knocked up or fighting, and no warm, dry places to sleep.

Why jump on someone for not being able to offer the very best when so many animals face the very worst every day because no one is willing to give them the time of day? Would you immediately take your cats to the shelter/dump them if you lost your job tomorrow because they wouldn't be able to get the most extreme of surgeries? or would you budget accordingly and try your hardest to find a job?

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
nyski...I in no way intended any disrespect toward you, when I posted my rant about immature people not taking responsibility for themselves.
I applaud your efforts to find solutions to your current problems. Venting can be really helpful when you feel like you have hit the wall & are getting nowhere. This is a supportive place to do that. I wish you well. Please keep us updated.

Lei