No Kill Shelter Euthanizes 130!!

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

PETA said it was the best move, and heaven knows they would go off their rocker if they thought it was even slightly inhumane.
Actually, PETA does not believe in animals being kept as pets, because it is degrading to the animals. I would not trust PETA to protect shelter pets.
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...highlight=PETA

Sorry for the thread hijack...

Whether the shelter over reacted in fear, or truly needed to euthanize all the cats, it is simply heartbreaking!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I emailed a thank you letter to the nice person who had written the article, and she responded that she would mention our heartfelt thoughts and condolences to the shelter workers. She herself had adopted 2 kitties from that shelter following a previous story that she had covered there, so felt esp. close to the story. Bless all you TCS members who have replied - your dear thoughts and concerns will help those devastated survivors cope with this overwhelming tragedy.

breal76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I work at an open door shelter that does euthanize every day. This is our take on outbreaks.

We have had pan luk outbreaks at our shelter. Usually 2-3 a year. It's just unavoidable. Our protocol is usually to euthanize all kittens (unless they are owner releases with vac history). All strays that come in with no vet history. However, that is a judgment call, because if stray does come in neutered, we figure he/she has went through some sort of vaccinations.

Kittens have to go through two to three rounds of vaccinations to be fully covered. It just depends on the age of first shot.

It is sad, and I will never forget the look on the kennel managers face during the first outbreak when I had just started at the shelter. She looked like death. She looked like everything inside of her broke. It was aweful. Pan luk usually shows up during kitten season which is the worst time because on any given day we house around 100 cats if not more.

What was the MOST discusting part during that time was having to tell people "Are your cats vaccinated?" Then they say no, and I say "Your cat will not be put up for adoption." Yet they don't seem to care. Blech. It's just like "oh well! So be it!"

It's a tough work enviroment. It has more downs than ups. People say to me all the time "I love animals too much to work here." And I say "I love them too much not to."

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you are being too gentle with these people. I'd say "your cat will not survive" or "Your cat will have to be euthanized".

but then again such people probably think of the cat as a thing, not a living thing. Nothing can reach them. I am sorry for the cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Breal76

And I say "I love them too much not to."
Beautifully put!

What a great answer
When I go traveling out of town with my husband, I try to visit the local animal shelter while my husband goes golfing. I find that more people find that unusual & weird, than understand; esp. my MIL
But as sad as I am to leave, I know that I have given at least some kitties one more chance to purr, to give and receive affection and attention; almost always, I will get to visit with prospective adopters; I like to get names and faces of kitties that I can personally pray for; and I really get satisfaction out of listening to the shelter workers tell me whatever they want to. It takes such great love, and courage, and commitment to do such a job - and I send {{{prayers and vibes}}} for them all.

princesstiffany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awww!
That is so sad! I can't imagine...I know how much our local no kill shelter loves their kitties and puppies...My heart goes out to them.

And to all the people who devote countless hours working there...
Good for you!

RIP Kitties!!!