No interest in water and food after biopsy

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello,

My 13 yr old male cat Boogie had some biopsy and endoscopy (I think) on new years after bringing him to ER vet. It was due to thickening of his upper small intenstine. He's had chronic vomiting issues and this year it's gotten worse, in November I had to bring him to ER for it and it turned out to be pancreatitis. He recovered from that and then had another serious enough vomiting issue that I had to bring him in new years eve.

He was send home on the 3rd afternoon with steroid pills and cerenia. He hasn't vomited at the vet nor at home so that's good. The evening when he came home he was relatively perky and ate/drank a little. Yesterday (the 4th) I'm pretty sure he did not drink nor eat all day, just spend most of it resting. He drooled a lot esp when I had to give him the medication. I ended up bringing him to my primary vet in evening to get fluid IV in him. It stressed him out a lot and he drooled a lot again after we got home.

Now it's morning of the 5th and I'm pretty sure he hasn't eaten, since his food is not changed and I didn't hear his microchip feeder open. I've confirmed that he's peed and had one diarrhea per day since he came home. He purrs when we pet him. He hasn't drooled since this morning when I woke up tho and seems a bit less mopey (right now he's chilling in living room with us)

He can't have chicken and I've tried everything in my home he used to go nuts over, from treats to wet/dry food. He doesn't care for the baby foods, I've tried many times in the past. He has 0 interest in drinking water (he's normally a great drinker) and 0 interest in any food or eating. I've even given him the appetite stimulant on the ear as instructed but he's not grooming himself so I don't think it works at all.

If this was any other situation I'd take it slow and steady since bringing him in to the vet only sets him back with intense stress, but I also know how dangerous not eating and drinking is for cats. I'm currently waiting for my primary vet to open so I can call and ask, because the ER hospital told me they don't see a reason for me to bring him over (yes I did say he hasn't eaten).

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi
There might be something here that entices him and helps to remind him that food is good;

Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!
Thank you for the reply. I've tried more than half of the things on this post and he just stonewalls any food. He has not even gone to sniff his food (which he used to do during previous illness, he might sniff but not eat). He can't have chicken which also reduces the choices I can give him.

The vet should open in about 20 mins so I can prob call to ask what they suggest.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ask the vet about if he could be experiencing another bout with pancreatitis. He might need a different anti-nausea med if Cerenia isn't helping. I'd also ask about an appetite stimulant - and, maybe even some pain meds.

He is an older cat and it sounds like he has been through quite a bit, so anything the vet can give him temporarily to help tide him over while he attempts to recover from all of this is worth trying.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. He really doesn’t look like he feels good at all. I think you are wise to contact your vet as soon as they own.

You always have to be careful when talking to vet offices. Sometimes, sad as it sounds, youwind up only talking to a staff member and the vet doesn’t even know you called.

please let us know what happens.

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I called my primary and she said she will relay the information to a vet and call me back. He's been coming out to the living area more, even being slightly affectionate with me. He did have a moment when he went to look at his water and food but didn't have any.

I noticed his mouth area is a little dirty so I wonder if he was trying to clean up some of the diarrhea around his bum (I cleaned the best I could with wet wipes and damp paper towel, I don't want to bathe him right now as it'll stress him out. I cleaned up his mouth and chin with warm wet paper towel and he seemed to like that.

Ask the vet about if he could be experiencing another bout with pancreatitis. He might need a different anti-nausea med if Cerenia isn't helping. I'd also ask about an appetite stimulant - and, maybe even some pain meds.

He is an older cat and it sounds like he has been through quite a bit, so anything the vet can give him temporarily to help tide him over while he attempts to recover from all of this is worth trying.
I will definitely bring this up when they call me back. He does appear to be doing much better than when he has pancreatitis. That time he vomited thru Cerenia and behaved totally differently, looking like he was curling up in pain but this time he's resting, purring when pet, and gets up once in a while to look around the apartment/come to me.

The appetite stimulant I gave him twice already and didn't seem to work, so I will ask about that as well + the pain meds if needed.

Hi. He really doesn’t look like he feels good at all. I think you are wise to contact your vet as soon as they own.

You always have to be careful when talking to vet offices. Sometimes, sad as it sounds, youwind up only talking to a staff member and the vet doesn’t even know you called.

please let us know what happens.
Yea he looked like that when we picked him up from the ER vet, I think he must have been drooling a lot since it smelled like saliva. I haven't done much grooming for him since I want him to feel relaxed. I'm waiting for a call back from my primary vet since someone took my message to the vet. The ER place is much further with long wait so they encouraged me to talk to my primary even tho I mentioned he hasn't eaten.

If I don't get a response I will call again in early afternoon. They didn't have any openings for me today but said they will talk to the vet and see if it's concerning enough to bring him in.

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry to double post but I just manage to get him to eat a little bit I think!!!!!

I heard him checking out his microchip feeder so I watched him on the cam (didn't wanna spook him by running over). He checked out his food and water and then came out to the living room where I was. He checked out the communal water bowl and where his food normally would be (I gave him personal ones in the room he's been resting in).

I got treats and his kibble and put some on my hands and he actually started licking and trying to eat it! He did kind of spit out most of what he got in his mouth while chewing but he kept going back for a while. I'm pretty sure he at least swallowed a little bit.:crossfingers: I didn't force him more and gave him lots of pets when he went back to his resting place.