No Idea What Is Happening

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittysprinkles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wanted to add one more update and something suspicious I've discovered.

My boy has been home for a week now and is doing great. He hasn't gained any weight but he isn't losing anymore and his appetite is great. He's active, alert and really snuggly.

However, my other cat is now very ill and we're off to the vet today. She's been throwing up and can't keep anything down. Keep in mind, she never vomits, unless it's a tiny hairball, even that's only every 2 months or so.
After some serious thought on what would have made her so ill suddenly, I realized that both cats got sick within a couple weeks of me adding Iams into their diets. She started on the dry food a week ago and I started giving him the wet food about 3 weeks before he got sick. Maybe it's coincidence but it's the only change I've made for both of them. Still, I am not taking any chances and it's all going in the trash. I feel so awful knowing something I was feeding them could have hurt them both.

KJK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wanted to add one more update and something suspicious I've discovered.

My boy has been home for a week now and is doing great. He hasn't gained any weight but he isn't losing anymore and his appetite is great. He's active, alert and really snuggly.

However, my other cat is now very ill and we're off to the vet today. She's been throwing up and can't keep anything down. Keep in mind, she never vomits, unless it's a tiny hairball, even that's only every 2 months or so.
After some serious thought on what would have made her so ill suddenly, I realized that both cats got sick within a couple weeks of me adding Iams into their diets. She started on the dry food a week ago and I started giving him the wet food about 3 weeks before he got sick. Maybe it's coincidence but it's the only change I've made for both of them. Still, I am not taking any chances and it's all going in the trash. I feel so awful knowing something I was feeding them could have hurt them both.[/QUOTE

I was wondering about his diet...your girl reinforces the hunch...recently read that a bunch of food companies were tainting their food with euthanasia drug apparently from euthanized pets going into pet food supply. Grotesque. Iams has had numerous recalls in the last decade. With both kitties coming down with flu like symptoms I’d be looking for kidney/liver issues. If the food was tainted there might be longer term ramifications for both. Better to know...

Pookah Bear was 18 when we lost him. We treated him long term with zenequin for an infection that lurked in his kidneys. Expensive but it kept him healthy for years. He behaved like your fellow before we lost him...the urination marination and all that. It was his liver that failed. Our vet told us he would have felt like he had the flue...Have they checked his liver enzymes as well as kidney function? Is that part of the advanced blood work? The liver filters toxins so that may be where the trouble lies.

Your older cat is only 14...years of healthy life left. Maybe flush both out on IV fluids? And maybe bring the situation to the attention of Iams? They’ve been through this a time or two.../QUOTE]

KJK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was wondering about his diet...recently read that a bunch of food companies were tainting their food with euthanasia drug apparently from euthanized pets going into pet food supply. Grotesque. Iams has had numerous recalls in the last decade. With both kitties coming down with flu like symptoms I’d be looking for kidney/liver issues. If their food was tainted there might be long term ramifications for both. It might be a good idea to flush both kitties systems with IV fluids. Your 14 year old should have years of good health ahead of him. Better to know...I’d be contacting iams as well. They’ve been through this a time or two...don’t throw the food out yet. You might need a sample for confirmation if the food caused all this.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know you feel bad but you have put the pieces of the puzzle together and I bet you are right. None of it is your fault.
I had a similar experience when I thought I was doing a good thing and switched my cats to a grain free canned food. Within about ten days both got diarrhea.