No Good Deed Goes Un ....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by blueyedgirl5946

How is Buddy doing today.
Hi, Buddy is doing really good today, in fact - he's been great.

He had almost 2 days of no appetite. Katiemae helped me think through what may be happening - she offered a couple of reasons, and I picked the cause as the antibiotics causing his tummy to be upset - he had vomited a couple of times, he had no fever, his lymph nodes aren't enlarged anymore - so I did as she suggested and fed him something very mild - chicken broth. Although he didn't have very much of that - it helped him, and yesterday his appetite returned - and it's holding - he's eating like a "dog".

He's bouncing around the room, trying to break out, has a lot to say.

The one thing that started yesterday was his scratching/licking episodes. I wondered if maybe he was allergic to the meds so I called the doctor and left a message.

She returned my call today, and said that it probably wasn't the meds - the steroid she gave him is given for exactly that problem, and the antibiotic was the same antibiotic he was given for his surgery with no reaction. She would only be guessing at the cause - and said it might be the disease. I didn't say this to her, but every "nurse" knows that just because there was no reaction to an antibiotic one time, doesn't mean it won't happen the next.

I asked her about him being able to kick off the disease - she told me that since his lymph nodes had been enlarged that he's past the stage where he would be able to fight off the disease. Well, okay - but we've all heard about cases where the medical profession's opinions/knowledge were wrong.

I don't mind asking for a miracle.

I inquired how long the steroid would be working - she said it depended - sometimes it works for a couple of days, other times it works for a couple of weeks.

Just a few minutes ago he started yowling for food - I couldn't see where he was when I looked into the room - so thought maybe it wasn't food he wanted but, that he had gotten trapped someplace. I unlatched all my gates and went into the room, still not seeing him, but hearing him. He had climbed into the small carrier, I guess to nap - which was the last place I would have looked. He just was complaining about the afternoon snack being late.

I picked up his empty food dish and began to try and get out of the room - this time he was ready - and almost made it out, too! Lesson learned - now I close up the Original Three into my bedroom before I enter Buddy's room - just incase he does make it past me next time.

Here's my "Security Gate(s)" set-up.

I took in food and he almost knocked me over trying to get to it.

So, that's our story for the day - thank you for asking.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first visit (7/7/10) was when the snap test showed the FeLV virus - the vet wanted to wait for the outside lab test results before giving him his vaccines.
His first office visit also presented a very slight temp at 102.4 (as I can best remember) - nothing to really draw attention to as temps can vary per cat, or time of day, etc.. Other than that his physical exam was good, she thought he was about 1 1/2 years old, his teeth were in "great shape".

The next day (7/8/10) we returned for the results, and that's when I was told that the test results showed he had an 85% chance of having the virus.

She then gave him his Rabies, and his distemper (forget all that it contained).

7/12/10 - surgery and chip

It wasn't until about 12 days later (7/20/10) that he started not eating, and had a fever. I questioned her about the vaccines - she said that if there would have been a problem/reaction it would have been in the ? 24 hour period after - please remember that by now this conversation is a little vague for me - I do remember asking the question, and got the answer that he was over the time frame for a reaction from the shots.

I hate giving the vaccines! But, in his weakened state with this virus, I thought the vaccines would be a preventative - although, thinking about it - after the fact - I wish I would have had my wits about me enough to say to forego the Rabies. I mean it only makes sense - really, he has to be confined - how would he ever come into contact with Rabies now. !!!

So, I am hitting myself for not being more quick to realize this and not get the Rabies vaccine. ugh!

Thanks for asking.
No way it caused a reaction 12 days later, I was wondering if IT caused his fever. I have heard of cats/dogs getting a fever & feeling icky after vacs. The rabies vac should be ok for him, so don't feel bad.

lol, your setup looks like something I would do.
I completely understand why you are going through great lengths to seperate him. My vet freaked me out & told me that my other cats could possibly catch Bear's illness, so he got seperated for a long time. I just reccently let him back out with the other cats, we still don't know if he is contagious but since he has hung on so long it is unlikey that he has FIP like the vet origionally thought. No way I could go through this again (Bear's unknown illness) with another cat.

Good luck, I know it is a hard trek to climb. You & Buddy have lots of support though, he will pull through this!

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
We're now dealing with another issue - constant licking, and now scratching his skin raw.

This is the 16th day of the 14-day antibiotic - and he may still have the steroid in his system.

When I contacted the vet after I first noticed all the constant licking, I suspected that the meds may be causing his problem - along with the (almost) hyper-activity - she told me that the steroid was the drug of choice to stop problems with itchy skin - so it probably wasn't the steroid.

I reached out to Katiemae1277 about the possibility of the itchy skin being caused by the leukemia virus - she doesn't think so. Then I reached out to Sharky about food allergies - and anticipate hearing from her about a food allergy being a possible cause.

I've put antibiotic salve on the wounds, cut his nails, and trying to figure out how to keep him from scratching the same area.

I am designing an outfit to cover his neck - and he tolerates it nicely - I'm in the altering process.
A leg I cut off of my jeans is about the right size for this project.

The Upside Down Kid:

Other than this new development - he's active, no fever, good appetite, and much more tolerant of receiving cuddles now that the meds have worn off a little.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you put any flea drops on him lately? It looks like it is in that area... that is why I am asking. If so, it could be a reaction to that.

I hope it heals up fast!

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatKisses

Have you put any flea drops on him lately? It looks like it is in that area... that is why I am asking. If so, it could be a reaction to that.

I hope it heals up fast!
No flea drops, but thanks for the suggestion.

Thing is, there's no fleas - I'm familiar with those pesky bugs - and haven't seen anything resembling a flea since I started living in the desert. There's such a thing as sand fleas - but, we have a desert landscape, and I guess the intense heat on the rocks kills them off ???.

I just talked to his doctor about mites, etc. When I told her where he was scratching the most, between the shoulder blades, she said that it's possible that it could be a reaction to where the injections were given.

As we talked about when all this started, etc., it has come down to the far-reaching idea that he may be having a reaction to the steroid - but, she's never heard of such a thing.

She repeated what she said to me about the antibiotic being given before and no reaction - but, I said yes, but we also know that even though there's no reaction the first time, it doesn't mean the body won't react the next time. She agreed.

It's all speculation at this point.

My appointment this morning would have just been an opportunity for her to see for herself what I am describing. We probably wouldn't do anything, other than a skin scraping to check out for bugs.

Going to the vet - especially knowing that there probably won't be a finding - is money taken away from Buddy's Fund that we may have need of later. Also, and this is high on the priority list, I don't want to stress him out. If she runs blood tests, skin tests, takes his temp - this is all very stressful, and I'm sure doesn't help him.

So, since she isn't insisting, we've agreed that I can wait and see if something more obvious develops so we'll know how to treat him.

It could be the meds - and if so, his itching will decrease as they wear off - she's now telling me that the steroid could last a month.

I did tell her, and, for now, she's agreed - no more steroids. After the steroids his personality changed from a cuddler (sp) to an over-active cat. I can't see spending what ever time he has left like this - this isn't Buddy.

Meanwhile - I am going shopping for a NO GRAIN food - any suggestions would be welcomed.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
July 20, 2010 was the day the consulting vet thought it would be okay to say goodbye - that day. I refused, and Buddy's vet injected him with a steroid and antibiotic. I learned that the steroid would be effective about 1 month. The antibiotic was a 14-day antibiotic.
Each day that Buddy is here is such a blessing, and as I've said before it's a One Day At A Time situation. Each morning when I see him, and he's doing fine, I am so thankful.
Today he is doing great.
He has a TV in his room, and I have it scheduled for it to turn on at 9 a.m., and off at 1:30 a.m. - so he'll have company. Too bad it doesn't have a classical music channel.

I made a "busy box" out of a old U.S. Mail box, and it is keeping him entertained.

Here's some current pics:

Buddy playing - Phoebe behind the protective plexiglas & bars - watching

(just click on the picture to start the movie) Sorry, it doesn't seem to be working. ?

After the way Buddy was acting with the steroid shot, he was jumping all around, didn't really want to be touched or cuddled - I told the vet I didn't think I want him to have any more steroids because his reaction didn't let him be the cuddle cat I know him to be - not a quality of life.

She agreed, but - we're still open to discussion depending on Buddy.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
As of today, we are delighted to say that Buddy is thriving.

We use dishes for all of the cats - not paper plates, or pet bowls.
I keep a container with a bleach solution in the sink - and all the cat dishes are disinfected, then usually put into the dishwasher for additional sanitizing.

We have designated dishes for the "Gray Family", for KiKi, for Simon, Phoebe, and now - Buddy.

I don't believe it, but I found six (6) porcelain, oven/microwave, heart-shaped dishes at GoodWill for Buddy!
Here's a pic.:

They needed to be distinctive so they would be exclusive for our contagious little boy.

We've exchanged the gates with a modified door we bought. My husband cut out a top and bottom panel of the door. He installed a plexiglas panel in the bottom - this plastic keeps Buddy from sharing fluids with the other cats AND lets him interact with us (and the other cats) when we pass by the room.

For the top, he put in a screen guard to allow airflow between the rooms.
It's a door, with a handle AND I no longer have to take all the gates apart in order to enter the room. YEAH!!
Here's a pic.:

This pic shows Buddy watching me take the picture.

... and Buddy.

Buddy paws at the plexiglas, sometimes the other cats paw back - it can get quite noisy - good noise, though.

I need to work on the bottom of the door - there's enough space for paws to squeeze though.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This made my day... It is amazing to see the amount of love and the extent you went to accommodate this special little boy into your lives.... and to make sure he is happy and healthy... You and hubby are true angels
There are not many of you out there.... Really really special thing to see, proving you are some really special people

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

This made my day... It is amazing to see the amount of love and the extent you went to accommodate this special little boy into your lives.... and to make sure he is happy and healthy... You and hubby are true angels
There are not many of you out there.... Really really special thing to see, proving you are some really special people
Thanks Carolina.

When our family starts thinking about calling for the "little men in the white coats" I'll ask people on this web site for personal references.

Buddy is giving back ten-fold. Today as he snuggled in my neck, purring, with his little pink nose in my ear, my heart melted all over again.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Every day with Buddy is a blessing!!! You and your DH are wonderful people to help such a sweet boy!!

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Today is Thanksgiving - and we have so much to be thankful for - not the least of which is how well Buddy is doing.

I wish this pic was better - but - getting a pose like this isn't easy.

He gets our attention by pawing at the door - which can be a very noisy event.
I could fix the door so that it wouldn't bang and not make so much noise, but we've purposely allowed it to be noisy so Buddy has a way of telling us he wants some attention.

Our usual routine is for me to go into his room from 7:30 pm to 10 pm (+/-) and get and give lovin'. While I'm in the room he plays, when I'm not he mostly sleeps. When I get up from the bed to leave, he complains - sometimes so much so that I continue to stay with him for yet a while longer.

When we're not in the room, and he sees us in the hall - we hear from him - sometimes he races around the room just so I'll go over to the door to cheer him on.
He has my
!

It's a good thing I'm "retired" and have the time to give all 8 of our cats individual attention - we are so blessed to have each of them in our lives.

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your Buddy reminds me of Tristan, my first Felv +, unfortunately I lost him just over a yr. ago at Thanksgiving time. He had been perfectly healthy for his first 2 and a half yrs of life, then a two week illness and he was gone....

He was such a character. Buddy looks like a wonderful kitty, somehow the Felv kitties are special. Just treasure him while you have him.....

I love that door!!! I've got to do something like that for Kayenne, my current Felv + kitty. She REALLY wants to see who is on the other side of the door!!

Lisa

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gloria, I'm not sure how I missed all of this, but I have to echo what Carolina said...

Originally Posted by Carolina

You two are amazing, and Buddy is one lucky little boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Docs Mom

Your Buddy reminds me of Tristan, my first Felv +, unfortunately I lost him just over a yr. ago at Thanksgiving time. He had been perfectly healthy for his first 2 and a half yrs of life, then a two week illness and he was gone....

He was such a character. Buddy looks like a wonderful kitty, somehow the Felv kitties are special. Just treasure him while you have him.....

I love that door!!! I've got to do something like that for Kayenne, my current Felv + kitty. She REALLY wants to see who is on the other side of the door!!

Lisa

I'm so sorry to learn of Tristan. Did you know he was FeLV the two years prior to his passing? The idea of one day they're doing great, and the next day things begin to fall apart - well, it's almost impossible to cope with.

I want no regrets - I know that's probably impossible - but, I try to make that happen.
Right now I'm in his room, he's laying along side of me and every now in then he wants some attention. We have a routine when I come in here at night. I watch TV, get on the internet, and scrub on him when he asks. He has learned to lay between my legs, under the laptop, and sleep.

When it's time for me to leave, and I begin getting up from the bed, Buddy begins to whine and complain that I'm leaving.

The door is great! I couldn't recommend it more! The interior door was under $40. We already had the plexiglas, and my husband got the screen for the top panel at the local Lowes - in the trash. We used the hinges, and the door knob from the door we removed. So, Buddy is able to interact with us, and with the other cats during the day.

Buddy IS a wonderful character - nothing like any other cat that we've ever had. He is very vocal, has a lot of verbals. We've learned to sleep through his yelling out the window through the night - he has a special sound when he sees other cats, there's no mistaking who he talking to.

We play fetch - I throw a toy mouse, he chases it, brings it back to me and drops it for another chase.

I want to think he's beat the virus - I think it was Carolina that suggested we get him retested in 6 months - and, even though I'm curious - I'm reluctant to take him to the vet and get him stressed out.

I hope Kayenne is doing okay - you sound like you're a great furmommy,

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Gloria,

I hear you about stressing them out taking them to the vet.... Kayenne gets REALLY stressed out if she even SEES the carrier. When I adopted her all her vet work had already been done, including tests, spay etc., so I hope to minimize her trips to the vet until she really needs one.

Tristan adopted us when he was about 3 months old, I took him in for the usual and got a rude surprise when they told me he was positive. I thought about ending his life for about 5 seconds, until they brought him back in and put him in my arms.... I decided right there and then that we would deal with it. He was perfectly healthy for the first 2 and a half years, then.... well ..... 2 weeks.... I regret that I never got him a buddy, actually I did, but it was almost too late. He had his own room, and he stayed in a 3 story cage when I wasn't in there with him. Now.... Kayenne only goes in the cage when she wants, her bed and litter box are in there. I've loosened up quite a bit I guess.

Just enjoy Buddy everyday, your routine sounds alot like mine. I get ALOT of books read, and she has a radio on all the time. Also a bird feeder outside her two windows... I do give her daily supplements with her Purina One Dry. She gets Pet-tinic, Lysine 500 mg. and DMG (dimethylglycine, to boost his immune system.) in 1/2 a can of fancy feast. I got all that info from the gal that I adopted Serendipity from, Tristan's girlfriend. It didn't help Serendipity unfortunately, but so far so good, for Kayenne, knocking on LOTS of wood!

Good luck!!!

Lisa and Kayenne

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Docs Mom

Hi Gloria,

I hear you about stressing them out taking them to the vet.... Kayenne gets REALLY stressed out if she even SEES the carrier. When I adopted her all her vet work had already been done, including tests, spay etc., so I hope to minimize her trips to the vet until she really needs one.

Tristan adopted us when he was about 3 months old, I took him in for the usual and got a rude surprise when they told me he was positive. I thought about ending his life for about 5 seconds, until they brought him back in and put him in my arms.... I decided right there and then that we would deal with it. He was perfectly healthy for the first 2 and a half years, then.... well ..... 2 weeks.... I regret that I never got him a buddy, actually I did, but it was almost too late. He had his own room, and he stayed in a 3 story cage when I wasn't in there with him. Now.... Kayenne only goes in the cage when she wants, her bed and litter box are in there. I've loosened up quite a bit I guess.

Just enjoy Buddy everyday, your routine sounds alot like mine. I get ALOT of books read, and she has a radio on all the time. Also a bird feeder outside her two windows... I do give her daily supplements with her Purina One Dry. She gets Pet-tinic, Lysine 500 mg. and DMG (dimethylglycine, to boost his immune system.) in 1/2 a can of fancy feast. I got all that info from the gal that I adopted Serendipity from, Tristan's girlfriend. It didn't help Serendipity unfortunately, but so far so good, for Kayenne, knocking on LOTS of wood!

Good luck!!!

Lisa and Kayenne
RE: carrier
I leave our carriers out, and opened. I put bedding inside, and I'll often find a cat napping inside.

It's interesting to read about how others are coping with this disease, thanks for sharing.
g

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is a really great set-up you have going there, Gloria!! I'm so very glad to hear that Buddy is doing so well