No fur, black spreading scab?

rachel holmes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

I have a litter of kittens a stray had on my porch. I've been trying to help take care of them, but one of them I've noticed has a bizarre thing going on and I don't know what it is.

They are about five weeks old now, walking around and beginning to eat wet and dry kitten food. One of them had a bald spot on their back, I thought maybe the mother had licked it too roughly. It's been there about a week or so now, and it's turned black all over and seems to be spreading. I'm a little alarmed about it and want to know if some neosporin or antibacterial wipes would help? Or if anyone would know what this is. I've noticed it doesn't eat with the others but It's still an active kitten, really enjoys snuggling and playing with me. 

I have a picture I snapped tonight.

View media item 168857
The part on its neck is new I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

rachel holmes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has anyone seen this before or know what it could be? The kitten doesn't appear to be in any pain, is active and playful and super cuddly, but the black part isn't going away, if anything it seems to be spreading.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have no idea what it could be. I would be careful of using anything OTC as it will be ingested during grooming. I think since it's spreading, it should be looked at by a vet.

tjcarst

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know what this could be either.  I would try and get into the vet today or tomorrow so it does not get any worse, or spread to the others.

1iora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not a vet.  And I quit pre-med because I can't do math.

My guess is it's probably a fungal infection.  My cat has a small bald spot in the same area and when we got him from the shelter they did a culture because they thought it could be that.  It wasn't, but... still goes to show that the vets thought it was likely for something similar.

If you weren't able to get into the vet before they closed, and tomorrow's not an option (my vet is always full on Saturdays for a week in advance), I'd do this for my own cat:

Ketoconazole is, according to the internet, safe to use on cats (while selenium sulfide is not).... it may be worth trying a pure ketoconazole cream (like an athlete's foot cream without other active ingredients) over the weekend while you're waiting for the vet next week.  If you do it, keep the kitten separated from the others so they don't ingest it from grooming him.  The first day, leave it for a half hour (to be sure of no adverse reactions) and wipe it off before putting him back with the others.  The following days, leave for a full hour then wipe off.  Don't use on the day you go to the vet.

brand leesnider

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It looks like manage to me. Manage is a skin condition at only a vet can help with. I just had a thought typing the sentance. The kitten may be malnorished. My cat was malnorished and had hair, and was back up with poop. It may be just that so just buy kitten food. If the kitten will not eat on it's own try hand feeding it. It worked for me and he is over a year old

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for caring about this little family! The kitten may have a flea allergy. I really do think the best thing to do is to take the little one t the vet.

Please don't put ANYTHING on the kitten until you know what the problem is, and only a vet can diagnose it.

Are you handling them a lot so they will be well socialized? Are you planning to find homes for them, and spay the mother?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might be right but the fact is, none of us are vets, and none of us can make a diagnosis based on a picture in a message board. There are many skin diseases kittens and cats can suffer from. Hopefully the kitten has been brought to the vet by now, or will be, on Monday.