No email notifications

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Anne

We have Scott and his team on the case, checking to see if this IP that we've been recently allocated is on any blacklists. If it is, we'll whitelist it or change it
Good deal!! Thank you!!
I hope that solves our problems.

hostgeekz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

The server is not in any blacklists however we have added the PTR and SPF records which will propogate over the next 24 hours and anyone expericing issues recieving emails should start receiving them.

Most likely with the SPF and PTR not being there I would suspect it would be largely Hotmail/Yahoo users with some issues.

-Scott

hostgeekz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I also just want to clarify some things since this thead is way out of hand, not entirely sure why lots of incorrect things have been mentioned.

TCS's IP's are not blacklisted, neither have they been blacklisted in the entire time that I have been working with TCS which is either 2 or 3 years now. Blacklist checks are ineffective and I if I was to check I would be fairly certain that the IP would be listed on some blacklists simply because of the ranges it is in.

These are hosted in datacenters with vast numbers of customers and IP's and lots of the smaller, un-used rbls will without question blacklist these ranges simply because they do not know how to run an RBL correctly, hence why these RBL's are not used by any of the major ISP's.

I see earlier in the thread on the blacklist checks people checking their own IP's this has no effect on the mail delivery between TCS's MTA's and the receiving MTA however once again almost all of you will be blacklisted should you use any cable/dialup internet as these ranges are generally blacklisted to an extent simply because they are shared connections.

As it stands,

- TCS is not blacklisted
- TCS does not have any phishing problems

The simple problem here is the reverse dns(PTR) was not set since the server move which has been set now, we have also added an SPF record as hotmail actively checks for these.

Hope this clears some things up, you are always welcome to PM me too.

-Scott

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't understand most of that, but I'll try switching my email address back to my preferred POP3 account and see if it's working now. One thing you said about Hotmail and Yahoo: it's with my ISP POP3 email account that my notifications weren't working, but they were working with my Yahoo account. Just the reverse of what you were expecting.

Anyway, here goes -- let's try it and see what happens........

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope. Still not working. I changed it back to Yahoo. But then I reread the previous post and understand that the changes could take up to 24 hours to be effective. So I'll try changing my email address again tomorrow and see if it's working then.

I'd just like to say thanks to the Administrators who put in the time and effort to keep this site running smoothly. I know how frustrating these problems can be. Keep up the good work; this is a great site!!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HostGeekZ

Hello,

The server is not in any blacklists however we have added the PTR and SPF records which will propogate over the next 24 hours and anyone expericing issues recieving emails should start receiving them.

Most likely with the SPF and PTR not being there I would suspect it would be largely Hotmail/Yahoo users with some issues.

-Scott
I think we're getting somewhere! I received about 37 old email notifications in my aol mail account, for threads and PM's while I was at work the last 7 hours! They're old but at least I'm getting them now! Hopefully this means I'll be getting new notifcations again?

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nada. Still not working for me. I think the problem must be on my end.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I still am not getting email notifications on my PM's. I don't subscribe to threads, but it's been about 3 weeks since I've received email notifications on any PM's I've received.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still not working for me.
Bummer. I was hoping that whatever it was that Scott did would fix the problem. It's been 24 hours and it didn't, so I think it's gotta be something on my end.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried changing the settings, deleting your email addy, clicking "Save changes", and then going back later and putting your email addy back in, and again clicking "Save"?

I was having the same trouble with PM notifications at another site, and it worked after that. I think I waited a day before re-entering the info.

What happens if you use another email account? I have a Gmail account just for things from TCS, and have them forwarded from that account to my "usual" account.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

...have them forwarded from that account to my "usual" account.
That might be a work-around for me, since email notification works fine with my Yahoo account. I'll have to see if they have automatic forwarding. Although that account is one of my spam-catcher accounts; maybe that's not such a good idea. I'd really rather just have them working with my POP3 account.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I chnaged my email address for TCS to a yahoo account and it appears I will receive email now. I also have a POP3 account, that one is still not working. I sent a message to a mod and this is the rejection I received back on my POP3 account. Maybe this will help someone figure out what is wrong.

A message (from <[email protected]>) was received at 18 Sep 2007 15:36:48 +0000.

The following addresses had delivery problems:

Permanent Failure: 550-Callback_setup_failed_while_verifying_<[email protected]>
Delivery last attempted at Tue, 18 Sep 2007 15:36:52 -0000
I took out the mod's TCS email address, other than that, this is the rejection notice I receive on my POP3 account when I try to send email to a mod at their TCS address. For some reason, it appears my email address can not be verified, but TCS is the only place I can not get email from. For now, I should receive email on my Yahoo account.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: I've finished my investigations with my ISP. Neither my IP nor the TCS IP are on any IP block they know of. They traced the route from an old email header (before I stopped receiving notifications) and couldn't find any problem. I just tried changing my email back to my ISP POP3 account with no luck. I'm still not receiving anything from TCS at that account. My problem remains the same as before.