No checks? No problem!

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What are cheques???? They are so ancient history!

Well for everyone except my Nana.
Actually heaps of people still use them here and we have to pay by cheque for cat shows - so I pay $5 each time to get a bank cheque!

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Am I the only one who still pays with checks? My ex boyfriend tells me I am old-fashioned and hold up the lines at stores when I write checks. I don't trust the internet and don't want my bills to be deducted automatically. My roommate experienced some problems with this and it took months to get sorted out.

Besides, I love ordering fun check designs!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's about time the US got with the times!!!

When we moved here we had to Google for how to write a check! I have never in my life had checks, neither has DH - nobody uses them in Australia, and nobody accepts them. We have a much more secure banking system (nobody can steal your money with your account number, they can only put money into it, which they are more than welcome to!).

We only use checks to pay our rent, because the complex allows you to pay online, but charges a $25 "convenience" fee

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hardly ever write checks either, I have a couple things I do and I will occasionally write a check for groceries, but other than that I pay my bills thru auto deduction, especially at the places that give me a little bit off the bill like my cable
or I pay them online

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only use checks to pay our rent, student loans, and my fiance's tuition bill. Everything else we pay online. I still have checks from when I was in college, almost 3 years ago, and I just cross off my old address and write my new one in. I'll probably have those still when we move into our own house.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

It's about time the US got with the times!!!

When we moved here we had to Google for how to write a check! I have never in my life had checks, neither has DH - nobody uses them in Australia, and nobody accepts them. We have a much more secure banking system (nobody can steal your money with your account number, they can only put money into it, which they are more than welcome to!).

We only use checks to pay our rent, because the complex allows you to pay online, but charges a $25 "convenience" fee
Sarah, it's obvious you've been in the US for awhile. Check versus cheque.
Usually only US folks use "check".

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just wrote a check today to the guy who fixed my washing machine. I don't like paying cash for things like that. I really only write a few checks a year though.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

on my online banking, i can write stuff in the 'memo' area if i want - maybe write it there?
I used to be able to do that, but only for the ones that were getting paper check mailed to them, not for electronic transfers. My bank recently redesigned their website and now even that option has disappeared. I may be able to set something up if I call the mortgage company and talk to a real person, but I'd hate to try it without having a guarantee in writing that the extra payment would actually go where I want it to.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are the old folks here who pay all bills by check. With the big payroll check only once/month we don't want to get caught short in our checking account. I pay my business bills mainly with check as well as most do not accept debit or credit cards and I get a discount with a check!! My business insurance for instance is with a major us company and I do not have the option to set up for auto-withdraw from my account.
I do use my debit card (maybe too much!) alot.

At my pt job many people pay with checks-esp the senior citizens. My mom pays everything with checks-she doesn't have or want a debit card.