no by products = less stinky poo?

zoggy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

You may have a kitty sensitive to wheat .. try the nautral choice next bag mix them for about two weeks
Wouldn't it be better to keep feeding the kittens the same [healthy] food and let their stomachs adjust to it?
Plus, they don't have Natural Choice for kittens here.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zoggy

Wouldn't it be better to keep feeding the kittens the same [healthy] food and let their stomachs adjust to it?
Plus, they don't have Natural Choice for kittens here.
Yes it would as long as wheat is not the reason its sensitive..

mbd1974

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been feeding Blu Nutro for around 3 months and I have to spray air freshener and hold my breath when she poops!
It is really, really bad.

I am currently in the process of switching to another brand, and it seems to stink less...

purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PurrPaws

Polly and Prego both eat Science Diet right now. (Prego eats lite and Polly gets kitten.) After reading a lot of threads on this board, I was thinking I might try switching them to Nutro next time I need to buy them a new bag. Would a by-product-free food (like Nutro or something else) will make a less stinky poo? I know it's never going to smell like roses
I want to add canned food too, which leads me to my next question.

Second question....Every time Prego gets canned food it gives him the runs. His tummy is very sensitive. I only tried Science Diet before, but maybe another brand would work better for him? He has chubby tendencies, so I'd like to keep him on a light food. Should I try other brands and see if he still gets the runs or just stick with dry food? Polly has never had canned, but I don't anticipate any problems.

Sorry for the descriptiveness of this post
I read in a cat book once that it's not just the by-products, but anything in the food that can not be digested. Ideally, a cat's waste should just be digested matter that wasn't absorbed by the body (nutrients), which would be very little and not very stinky (of course anything that moves through bowels will be stinky
)

Feces with a lot of extra junk in it will sink, and healthy feces will float. Not that I advocate seeing if your cat's poop will float...
But, that is what the book said.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Felidae has a lot in it, but I've noticed the poo stinks less around here these days. My cats...and this is weird...were both SD addicts who did NOT do well on Nutro and the LB stunk a lot for the one bag of Nutro we all suffered through. Evo was THE WORST and it had no by-products. Man, that stuff could clear an entire apartment.

I like the Felidae, the cats love it too. I've had similar results with Nature's Variety Prairie, although I think they find the Felidae more palatable. I have a sensitive stomach guy who was on and off of Hill's i/d for a while and he has taken to the felidae. As for wet food, try either Wysong's just meat or Evanger's game meats. Their marketed to dogs, but it won't hurt cats. It just doesn't have the necessary supplementation to be appropriate as the only thing in the diet. Leo really likes the 100% rabbit that Evanger's sells.