Ninja Kitten

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So we have done a slow introduction with our older cats to our new kitten. Things are going well except the kitten's favorite game seems to be surprise ninja attack. He sneaks up on his elders, does a little pounce, then runs away (then repeats about 45 seconds later). Typical kitten behavior. Adult cats are taking it really well but when they get annoyed, they will hiss at ninja kitty. So far no swatting.
Should I intervene on the adults' behalf or should I just let them handle it? I know the kitten needs to learn manners and boundries from them since he was dropped off at the shelter at approximately 3 weeks old with no mama. He's about 12 weeks now. He's definitely not trying to be a bully, he is just trying to initiate play.
I thought the older cats would teach him what isn't OK, but honestly they just keep looking at me with an expression that says Aren't you going to do something about him?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've never introduced a kitten to adult cats, but your situation sounds like it's going quite well.

I love that the adults are looking to you "to do something about him?" ;)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, this is just so typical! In the long run, the less you interfere, the better they are going to deal with each other. And at some point, it might come down to a cuff or two, and even a certain amount of outraged squalling. So long as there is no blood on the floor, there's no real cause for alarm. HOWEVER, getting your older cats to understand that they really do need to handle the little upstart on their own might be tricky...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
HOWEVER, getting your older cats to understand that they really do need to handle the little upstart on their own might be tricky...
:lol: I know. My adults seem to have the attitude "YOU brought him here so YOU deal with him!"
It is funny, but I don't want the adults' good nature to cause them any stress in the long run. (Does that make sense?)
For example, I have already seen Jasmine walking slowly and looking around as she heads towards her food dish. I don't want them to feel like they have to be on "high alert" all the time.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It can take weeks, even months, for new cats/kittens to be fully integrated into a home with resident cats. Occasionally, you hear of introductions that were successful immediately, or withing days, but those are NOT the norm! So far, so good with your guys. Jasmine and the others will relax with time, unless something out of the ordinary sets things back...and even that can be overcome!