Nighttime diarrhoea

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Any reason why my cat could only be having diarrhoea at night? His poops are perfectly formed during the day. He has IBD, chronic pancreatitis and a sluggish gallbladder. I usually feed him tiny meals many times throughout the day, but leave a bigger amount for the night which he probably eats up faster. Then he has periods without food unless I wake up at night to feed him.
Could this be the reason for diarrhoea? It’s pretty new to him as he was mainly a vomiter and always had hard poops before, to the point of constipation.
We are taking a break from constant vet visits (he has vet-fatigue) so looking for an at home solution. He’s eating and drinking well, lively and looks ok otherwise at the moment.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Given what you are saying, it makes sense to consider the larger amount of food at night to be the culprit. Or, if that meal is of a different type of food, that could also be the cause. Any way to make that meal the same amount as the others, and add another meal to make up for it? With that many meals, even canned food could be left out for that last extra meal several hours before it would be an issue. Or, you could consider getting a timed feeder to accommodate the time of the extra, later meal?