night time window privacy

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Currently, if I want privacy at night from lookie loos outside my home, I just close the curtains, however, our kitties LOVE to play with each other from opposite sides, which I'm sure I don't need to explain the many ways this could end up bad. So far, I've only had to replace a set of sheers, but I have simply found myself not closing the curtains all together...which makes me feel like I'm in a fish bowl.
I don't want blinds either...same reasons as above.
I'm not a fan of window film (which apparently don't work at night anyway...), or frosting my windows as I want to see out of them.
One thing I have heard, but can't seem to find the answer, is that if you put string lights in your windows, inside...the light will prevent people from seeing in, past the lights....does anyone know if that's true? For the life of me I can't think of if I have been able to see inside people's homes if they have Christmas lights on in their windows (indoors).

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are concerned about ground floor rooms - wait until dark, turn on a light in the room. Go outside and peer in the window. Can you see in? If yes, Christmas lights are unlikely to do any good.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I don’t think the Christmas light thing would work, unless you don’t turn any lights on inside and creep around in the dark. But what about applying Command strips clear hooks to the top of the windows (they’re removable) and hanging a piece of fabric the size of the window on them each evening? Or you could install a roller shade.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If anyone comes up with a window treatment that's truly one-way, regardless of where the light is, they'll be very successful and make a lot of money. As far as I can find, there's nothing like that available.

I use frosted film but, yeah, can't see through it at any time of day.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
what about old fashioned window shades underneath your sheers. They are inexpensive, quick to raise or lower and no cords worry about. You can get them cut to fit at most large hardware stores.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm couldn't tell from your post if you're actually having a problem with people standing around outside looking in your windows or not. If this is the case, talk to the police about the problem and request extra patrols. Another thing you could do is turn on a light in a room near by instead of in the room you're in which would make it harder for anyone to see what you're doing.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just close the sheers on my bedroom window. Outside, people can only see shadows moving around, no detail. If your kitties shred the sheers, they are inexpensive and can be easily replaced. Because of my light-sensitive cacti in the room, I rarely turn on lamps, just using the hall light. Not much can be seen from outside.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I used to have sheers and curtain panels, but once I got Ruby, I knew she'd want to be able to see out the window 24/7, so I took down the sheers. I still have grommet curtain panels to the window, and though I close them at night, Ruby quickly figured out how to get behind them and sit on the ledge or her condo. I end up wrapping the panels around the condo, which I'm sure looks odd from the outside, but it keeps Ruby happy, and nosy eyes from being able to see inside at night. So maybe something like that could work for you.

Here's a pic. There's 4 panels. Occasionally when she wiggles in between them, they leave a gap, but not every time, and it's easy enough to fix. And if it happens overnight, it's not a big deal, as there's no light on in the room. The condo is there in the middle, btw.

1637010128383.png

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm couldn't tell from your post if you're actually having a problem with people standing around outside looking in your windows or not.
Oh no, nothing like that. We live in a neighborhood where many people go for walks/walk their dogs and my living room window is huge. And of course, when people are walking they look around and can see right in as they walk by.

I heard...but I can't find confirmation...that if you put a light source in the window, and if that light source is brighter than one in the room, it can help prevent/lessen people from seeing in the rest of the way into the house.
I guess at this point I'll just have to try it out.