Night time lovin'. anyone else have a midnite lover kitty?

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Swanie likes to jump up on the bed above my head, get comfortable on my pillow, root around in my hair for awhile purring all the while, then settle in and purr. Other times he'll burrow under the covers and lay against me, or on my leg.

Occasionally I'll wake up to find Cindy sleeping on my side.

I love having my kitties in bed with me.

gannett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our cat Nigel likes to sleep with us at night (well, for part of it, anyway!). He sleeps in the gap between our pillows, usually licking my back and neck before curling up and falling asleep.

I was wondering, though, is it really healthy having cat fur near your face while you're sleeping? Our cat doesn't have fleas but he does shed, and I feel all itchy when he's in the bed with me (I'm assuming it's stray cat hairs).

My wife and I would prefer it if he slept at the bottom of the bed, or even half way down, rather than by our faces, but try as we might, he doesn't seem to get the message. Any ideas there?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dorabella's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Gannett

Our cat Nigel likes to sleep with us at night (well, for part of it, anyway!). He sleeps in the gap between our pillows, usually licking my back and neck before curling up and falling asleep.

I was wondering, though, is it really healthy having cat fur near your face while you're sleeping? Our cat doesn't have fleas but he does shed, and I feel all itchy when he's in the bed with me (I'm assuming it's stray cat hairs).

My wife and I would prefer it if he slept at the bottom of the bed, or even half way down, rather than by our faces, but try as we might, he doesn't seem to get the message. Any ideas there?
I would think that as long as you're immune system isn't compromised it should be okay. I used to think about this when I would hold dorabella and she would put her paws on my face when I would try to hug her. or when she walks on me trying to get a comfy place to sit on my tummy or walking on my face to lick my cheek or nose. I am not sure if the fresh step clumping litter I use has antibacterial properties or not, but so far, so good. and she is such a little lady in the box, she somehow always manages to cover without sticking her feet in.
I love her so...

[

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Gannett

Bijou starts out laying against my face and proceeds to groom my nose and eyelids before he moves lower to groom my neck. I've discovered I can actually breathe through cat fur.
As my old family doctor once told me, when you have a cat for awhile your body builds up any immunities you need to be around that cat. Since Bijou is like Nigel in that he prefers NOT to sleep on the bottom of the bed, I just don't worry about it. He's indoor only, gets all his required vaccinations and is healthy so I'm assuming I'm going to be OK.

lilyluvscats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One of former cats that died about 2000... Bugsy.... always slept under our covers. One time I woke up and he was curled up in a ball under the fitted sheet. lol

namo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitten Edward absolutely loves to cuddle the whole night.. but not with me.. with my HAIR! He sleeps on top of, underneath, and tangled around in my hair all night.. I love his loud purr right in my ear while I'm trying to go to sleep.