Night Meowing

pattib59

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a nine year old healthy spayed female cat who has started meowing loudly at intermittent times all through the night. She does sleep on the bed with me. She meows very loud until i get out of bed and turn on house lights then she settles down and goes back to sleep for a short period of time. This continues until around 7:00 am and then she sleeps all day. She will wake up to feed, drink and use the litter box and then right back to sleep. It seems that since she is nocturnal, she is trying to get me to stay awake with her during the night. My sleep is being constantly interrupted all through the night with her loud howls. I know she may be lonely, but how do I solve this problem. I am a senior citizen and she is a great companion to me since I live alone, but I have to get this night behavior under control. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this?

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I wonder if she is going deaf.  We had a similar situation with a cat who started yowling during the night.  The vet 'tested' his hearing by dropping a can of coins behind him--Jake was looking at me, and didn't react at all to the loud noise behind him.  She suggested that we start leaving night lights on.  That way, when he woke up during the night, it wasn't so disorienting for him.  That helped immensely.