Night Drama! (Long, sorry)

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is an example of a night for me with Daisy and Marshmallow. Marshmallow is a quiet sort of fellow. He goes to sleep long before I do. I have to move him over so that I will have a place on the bed, but he doesn't object.

Daisy is jealous. She cannot stand the thought of Marshmallow being anywhere near me. But she won't sleep near him. So I either end up as part of a cat sandwich or she sleeps near my head - something that wouldn't worry me with one of my other cats, but makes me uneasy with her.

Anyway, the other night, Daisy was sleeping right next to my head. And snoring. "Onk! Onk! Onk!" It's very close to an oink, really. I finished reading my zombie book and was ready to go to sleep. But I couldn't with all that snoring! So I reached out and gently touched her on the shoulders. It startled her, but when she realized it was me, she gave me this digusted snort. (I don't remember hearing a sound quite like that before...does your cat snort at you in a digusted manner?
)

Well, I finally got to sleep and was having this horrible dream about the zombies from the book. All of a sudden, something touched my face and I woke up scared to death. My heart was pounding, my pulse was racing. Then I realized it is Daisy. She didn't scratch me - she must have just put a paw on my face. Maybe it was payback because I woke her up.
Or maybe I was snoring and she couldn't sleep!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great Story, love it!

I, too am a Cat Sandwich (hehe, love the phrase). Tolly sleeps in my arms, Mazy sleeps squished into the back of my neck, and Jennie sleeps in the crook of my legs, on top of the covers.

And yes, Mazy cat has a very expressive Disgusted Snort.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PS cat snoring disturbs my sleep too. Isn't it strange that purring, no matter how loud, doesn't bother me in the least, but even the quietest snore will keep me awake?

thf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awww....hehehehe.....beautiful cat in the picture!! Yeah Zero snores from time to time. Sometimes he will be sleeping and dreaming....meowing & twitching, and sometimes he sleeps so soundly, but then wakes up in a panic. The other day I woke up to a claw in my nose! Zero must have mistaken my nose for a "creature" under the blanket. Not the most pleasant way to start the day off

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's just nothing like dreaming about zombies grabbing at you and someone actually pawing you in the middle of the whole nightmare.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had cats pawing my face, specifically my mouth, a couple of times during sleep. I think I must have been talking in my sleep and disturbing the cat in question. Or snoring I suppose.

I once woke from a bad nightmare and, remembering some bad news that probably sparked the nightmare, lay there crying and crying. Mazy came over to the face side of me, curled up in my arms with a paw on my cheek and crooned to me until I stopped crying. Once I was quiet, she got up and returned to her customary spot next to the back of my neck.

I was stunned at this show of sensitivity, as this was in her earlier years, before she was quite socialized. The episode has never been repeated though, but the comfort she gave that one night was incredible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by THF

Awww....hehehehe.....beautiful cat in the picture!!
Thank you! That's my touch-me-not cat Speck. I adopted him from the pound in a nearby county after my beloved Redman crossed the Bridge.

Originally Posted by otto

PS cat snoring disturbs my sleep too. Isn't it strange that purring, no matter how loud, doesn't bother me in the least, but even the quietest snore will keep me awake?
The sound of purring is such a comfort! Sometimes Daisy snuggles up and kneads the leopard print throw on the bed. She purrs and purrs. I could listen to it all night.