Nice start to the new year.....

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
One of my co-workers is a huge donut fan and he'll bring DDs in for us about once a month or so....sometimes he pays; sometimes I'll buy if he'll fly.

This morning he stopped in at DD on his way to work for a dozen donuts. He got to the window and the guy said, "They're free......the guy two cars ahead of you paid for them. He said he'd pay for the next person who ordered a dozen donuts!" What a nice start to the new year! So we agreed to do that for somebody else the next time we get donuts.

Several years ago, Rick and I were at an Olive Garden. There were two elderly ladies in there and they were really enjoying their lunch. They seemed like just the sweetest old ladies, big smiles, and you could tell they were having a ball. After we were done, Rick paid our bill and then he told the waitress to please bring us their bills. We paid for their bills (it really wasn't all that much) and then we left. I'm sure that was a nice surprise for them.

What do you do for a RAOK (Random Act of Kindness)?

Last edited:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If I have a full basket of groceries, I let some folks ahead of me in the line.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I paid it back a bit this morning. I had to get some gas, so when I went inside to pay, I gave the woman (we know the lady as she graduated in dear Richard's class, so we talk all the time) an extra $5 and asked her to put it on the bill of the next person to come in and pay cash.

Well, while I was pumping gas, this guy came over and thanked me! He thought it was really neat to do something like that and he gave the woman an extra $5, too!!! He said he would have had to give her the $5 anyway, so he figured he might as well pay it forward. $5 isn't much, but even a little bit helps.

We're on a roll!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may have something to do with the 26 acts of kindness movement, in honor of the 20 children and 6 adults murdered at Sandy Hook School, Newtown Connecticut

http://www.facebook.com/26acts

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
It may have something to do with the 26 acts of kindness movement, in honor of the 20 children and 6 adults murdered at Sandy Hook School, Newtown Connecticut

http://www.facebook.com/26acts
I still feel so overwhelmed by that tragedy. :(. It happened in the next state and some of the relatives of those poor children live not far from here. It's still talked about on the news here almost every day. School starts again today at Sandy Hook elementary, but in a different building. Thankfully they are keeping the reporters far, far away.

As far as random acts of kindness, it's hard to point to a specific thing. We sometimes give a very large tip to a waitress, etc. I try to be helpful to others when out shopping g if they look like they are struggling with something. Holding doors, being kind and offering a smile and a thank you. People can be so rude at times that just a smile and being polite is appreciated.

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I do it all the time at the gas station.  Many people don't have enough cash to pay for their coffee in the morning.  I am stuck behind them and I just tell the cashier I will pay for it.  They always try to give me what money they have but I tell them to buy someone else coffee that doesn't have enough.

I have also decided to finally adopt Orange Kitty.  I have heard he has a home but they don't care about him.  Over the past couple days everything has fallen into place.  He is considered a feral cat so I can get him neutered for $30.00.  The day I made the appointment, I received a check from my car insurance company for $45.00..an over payment of my premium.  Found a place that offers free rental of a humane trap for him.  He has had frostbite on his ears, he has deep mats in his fur.  I already feed him, give him shelter outside, provide him with Revolution during flea/tic season....what the heck is a few more turds to scoop.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I do it all the time at the gas station.  Many people don't have enough cash to pay for their coffee in the morning.  I am stuck behind them and I just tell the cashier I will pay for it.  They always try to give me what money they have but I tell them to buy someone else coffee that doesn't have enough.

I have also decided to finally adopt Orange Kitty.  I have heard he has a home but they don't care about him.  Over the past couple days everything has fallen into place.  He is considered a feral cat so I can get him neutered for $30.00.  The day I made the appointment, I received a check from my car insurance company for $45.00..an over payment of my premium.  Found a place that offers free rental of a humane trap for him.  He has had frostbite on his ears, he has deep mats in his fur.  I already feed him, give him shelter outside, provide him with Revolution during flea/tic season....what the heck is a few more turds to scoop.

Congratulations on taking in OK (Orange Kitty)! He'll have a great home with you, Zohdee. And you're right....it's only a few more turds in the long run.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is "DD"?  Typically it means Dear Daughter, but I don't think so in this case, lol

I'm sorry.....I just assume that people know DD = Dunkin' Donuts. We always call it DD around here and I wasn't thinking. 
 Kind of like MickeyDs for McDonalds.

We used to have Mister Donut stores around here. Anybody remember "Hey, Mister, that's a donut! Hey, Mister, that's a Mister Donut donut!" (and now I will have that song floating through my mind the rest of the day!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so cynical, I always wonder if the person taking the money pockets it and charges the next person anyway. 
 Hopefully that doesn't happen much.

I guess the only thing I make a point to do is to take some time to talk with lonely elderly ladies when I see them. You know the ones, they are trying to chat up the produce guy at the grocery store, or they start telling the pharmacist all about their friend who is in the hospital. I'll go to them and say hello, and it never fails we have a nice conversation. Seems there's always a hug at the end of the chat, too, and well-wishes for each other when we say good-bye.

Last edited:

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on taking in OK (Orange Kitty)! He'll have a great home with you, Zohdee. And you're right....it's only a few more turds in the long run.
Thanks!  Even if he doesn't want to live inside, he will have a warm place in the winter.  I swear he can understand English.  My son told him he would be coming in soon.  When he went out to feed him (I was still at work) he walked inside, something he has never done.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Thanks!  Even if he doesn't want to live inside, he will have a warm place in the winter.  I swear he can understand English.  My son told him he would be coming in soon.  When he went out to feed him (I was still at work) he walked inside, something he has never done.
He knew you were going to bring him inside, so he figured he might as well just do it. Bless your heart for taking him. Hope it all works out OK!

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I have a full basket of groceries, I let some folks ahead of me in the line.
Yes, we do the same thing if someone is behind us with just a couple of items.

Oh and Pam your mention of Dunkin Donuts made me want to go there all the more for my favorite jelly donuts. I'm not a big sweet lover, and now we have to watch the sugar with Paul's Diabetes, but I absolutely would KILL for a jelly donut now.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was an article in the paper here about a 3 hour random act of kindness where people were paying for the next person in line at a coffee shop, for a whole 3 hours!!!

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...ness-at-tims-goes-on-for-hours-185398352.html

I love random acts of kindness.  Last year I read a story from the US that talked about some people going into stores and paying for lay-a-way purchases for people.  I thought I would give it a try this year.  I went to the customer service of 2 different stores and paid for 2 lay-a-way purchases of less than $50 at each store.  They wanted me to leave my name, but I refused. It was anonymous and it was random. I figured that close to Christmas, having things on lay-a-way it was people that were struggling for money to pay for gifts for their kids.

It made me feel so good that I'm squirreling money away all year this year to do it again in Decemeber.

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I tried to do something nice but UPS screwed it all up.  As soon as I get the money from the claim, I will resend what I sent.  NOT UPS.

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is kind of a continuation of my Orange Kitty nice start.  I bought his Friends of Animals certificate today and obtained the humane trap.  He is getting neutered on Friday.

I went out today and bought a litter box and a bed for him.  He was sitting outside my window this evening so I brought him in.  I thought he would be very afraid.  At first he was being in a new place.  Then he discovered his kitty bed.  He is laying in his bed and he is looking at me with such thankful eyes.  He is warm and not afraid.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Yes, we do the same thing if someone is behind us with just a couple of items.

Oh and Pam your mention of Dunkin Donuts made me want to go there all the more for my favorite jelly donuts. I'm not a big sweet lover, and now we have to watch the sugar with Paul's Diabetes, but I absolutely would KILL for a jelly donut now.
We are big Dunkin Donuts fans around here, too, and it's hard to stay away from them. My favorite is the sour cream glazed donuts......YUM!
There was an article in the paper here about a 3 hour random act of kindness where people were paying for the next person in line at a coffee shop, for a whole 3 hours!!!

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...ness-at-tims-goes-on-for-hours-185398352.html

I love random acts of kindness.  Last year I read a story from the US that talked about some people going into stores and paying for lay-a-way purchases for people.  I thought I would give it a try this year.  I went to the customer service of 2 different stores and paid for 2 lay-a-way purchases of less than $50 at each store.  They wanted me to leave my name, but I refused. It was anonymous and it was random. I figured that close to Christmas, having things on lay-a-way it was people that were struggling for money to pay for gifts for their kids.

It made me feel so good that I'm squirreling money away all year this year to do it again in Decemeber.

A couple of years ago, somebody started doing that, I think it might have been at a KMart. A widow did it for some people as her husband had died that year and she wanted to do something nice. One of the people she paid the bill for was a man with several children and when he heard that somebody paid his bill, he just broke down and cried. He couldn't believe it.
This is kind of a continuation of my Orange Kitty nice start.  I bought his Friends of Animals certificate today and obtained the humane trap.  He is getting neutered on Friday.

I went out today and bought a litter box and a bed for him.  He was sitting outside my window this evening so I brought him in.  I thought he would be very afraid.  At first he was being in a new place.  Then he discovered his kitty bed.  He is laying in his bed and he is looking at me with such thankful eyes.  He is warm and not afraid.
Aw, Zohdee!
 Bless you! He has such a good home now.

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aw, Zohdee!
 Bless you! He has such a good home now.
I am so happy to have him.  I wonder how long it will take me not to ask my son if he saw Orange Kitty today.

He was meant to be my kitty.  He would come around twice a day for food and drink.  Not so long ago, he stopped coming around.  He was missing for about six weeks.  I would go outside and call him and he never came.  I sobbed, really cried because I thought he had passed.  Then he showed back up and I was not going to go through that again. 

When I  picked him  up today the vet tech called him a luv bug.  I can't understand why someone would just toss a cat out like that.  He is a tom cat and he pee smells.  The tech told me it happens more frequently than anyone knows.  Some euthanize them due to the peeing.

I am truly blessed to have him as a furever kitty.  I feel horrid that it took me so long to take action but he is here, safe, neutered and de-fleaed. 

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
about 6 or so mos ago an 80+ elderly lady weelchare bound was at walmart she was having a hard time getting her stuff on the belt <whatever its called <no one was helping her so i walked up to her and asked do you need help? she goes what do you work here I say no she goes ho she didn't say anything so i started putting her stuff on the belt thingy and she goes oh dear you don't have to i said i know i don't i want too so i finished putting it on the belt thingy and after that i said i would help you to put it in your car but i have to go back to my mom and grandma at the eye spot of walmart she said something like these ,thank you its alright my husband is in the car he'll help me ,she proceded to check out when i was walking away i gave all the young people around her a look

and another time i was in a small store and i had my arms full of stuff i noticed a guy in a weelchare trying to come in and couldn't the store worker was right there and five other people so i put my stuff down and let him in and i noticed he had down syndrum i was thinking to my self why no one opened the door for these poor guy why?

and there was another time a guy weelchair bound was at walgreens trying to get his meds WGs was refrusing to give him the meds and he ran out he was obese doesn't matter diabetic and other health issues him and the WGs pharmacy tech woman was arguing for about 15mins she was saying your meds ain't due you have to get a prescribtion he goes i gave you one 25mins ago so i jump in and gave the woman a big lecture on how to be nice and so forth and he got his meds i was mad that day he thanked me and was in shocked a teenager helped him

it makes me mad that no one helps these people or be kind to them i try my best

there is more kindness stories up my sleves i can't think of all of them at the moment