News on royal canin cat food

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’ve been feeding their weight control kibble (not the vet) and also Maine coon to my seven rescues as a partial feed. Suddenly both Amazon and chewy “out of stock” so I messaged the company and their response was a kinda “due to tremendous growth and shortages” da,te, da and “we don’t see an Anticipated date for restocking.”

Anybody know what’s really going on?

Just hate to change brands on 7 cats

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is a shortage of cat and dog food in my area (uk) and some stores are limiting the purchase to 2 boxes. They claim that due to Covid, many people have adopted/bought pets as they are home so much and therefore the need has grown. Who knows how much truth is in it.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I expect they are experiencing some combination of high demand plus supply chain issues.

I'm attaching a copy of the letter Royal Canin has posted on their "professional portal" (I have an account with them). It doesn't say a whole lot, but in summary, they are temporarily focusing on products that they consider more essential than others.

Attachments

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I had the same response when I could not find RC food for Geoffrey.. Then they changed their formula--Geoffrey hates it.... and changed their packaging...

Who knows what to believe???

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's probably similar to human foods having less options right now. I've notice variety in products slowly going down and supply seems to be more limited. The supply chain issues seem to be impacting all areas of commerce.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is an argument for variety of food to feed, to avoid any potentially difficult situation. I’ve been having issues getting some of the food my guys used to eat for years, but luckily I rotate so that it’s not such a great deal. I’m also hearing that some manufacturers are looking to change the production partners which may mean recipe changes :(

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree it's always good to rotate foods so you don't rely on one. I also try to keep a stockpile of extra food on hand in case of momentary supply disruption, because it seems like this kind of thing often happens with pet food companies.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree it's always good to rotate foods so you don't rely on one. I also try to keep a stockpile of extra food on hand in case of momentary supply disruption, because it seems like this kind of thing often happens with pet food companies.
I keep an unopened bag on hand at all times, use the bag and buy a new one to replace it so that I rotate the bag. That way I both have time to figure something out if food changes and in case of emergency I have a sealed bag I can grab and go with.

ara11

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ve been feeding their weight control kibble (not the vet) and also Maine coon to my seven rescues as a partial feed. Suddenly both Amazon and chewy “out of stock” so I messaged the company and their response was a kinda “due to tremendous growth and shortages” da,te, da and “we don’t see an Anticipated date for restocking.”

Anybody know what’s really going on?

Just hate to change brands on 7 cats
[/QUO
I was told some of the shortage or delay was due to not having the suppplies from China needed to make the cans and not all factories are at full capacity due to COVID

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I keep hearing about tin and aluminum shortages. I wonder if all we recycle goes to landfills vs recycling plants....
I am in Europe and my foil pack trays are now a different color, in various brands and some cans as well. The metal changed color maybe a new supplier or other change but the effect is across brands.

jstie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I learned not to rely on what the online sites say about what's in stock. I checked Chewy, Petco, PetSmart sites and they all said "out of stock" for my Werewolf's RC S/O hydrolyzed protein kibble. I happened to be in my local PetSmart recently, and they had four bags of it! I bought two. So be sure to check personally and you might get lucky. I suspect PetSmart may be "hoarding" some for their in-person traffic, and just not filling online orders.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You might be right. I’ll check but the problem with living out is always an issue. Several small towns within 15-20 miles but anywhere that has anything other than “old roy “ is an 80 mile rt!

jstie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I get that! I live part of the time in central Kansas, and it's the same there. I wouldn't do the trip to Salina unless I'd called first... good luck!