Newly Spayed Abandoned Cat Peeing Everywhere But The Litter Box

Problemchild1995

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A small adorable female cat (estimated to be only about a year old by my local vet ) showed up on my porch in the middle of nowhere during a snowstorm. We kept her in a shed with a box filled with blankets, food and water until we could convince my parents to let us bring her in. I named her Lilly. We think someone dropped her off. At first, everything seemed to be going well and she seems happy here. But a couple weeks ago, we started to notice she was peeing on my fiances shoes. At first, it seemed like Just HER shoes. Then a few days later we noticed she was actually peeing ON THE RUG by the front door (where we keep our shoes). However, she does poop in the litterbox. We've cleaned the rug at least 4 times since then with vinegar. We haven't put the rug back yet because we know she'll do it again. Shes' since started peeing on towels in front of the washer and my mom just told me she peed ON MY DADS SHOES.

Everyone in my family is starting to get annoyed and my parents are threatening to make me get rid of her. I want to keep my kitty! She was fixed and had her shots a month ago. She's very healthy and we're certain it's behavioral, but I don't know what to do. Even when I try to take her to her litter box regularly, she still peed elsewhere. I'm panicking because I don't know what to do and I want to keep her. Please help!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Don't panic - she'll pick up on your stress.
Along with those terrific articles, here are a couple other things;

You could try potting soil added to the litter in one of the boxes ( you need at least two ). Also, try littermaid walnut litter, and there's also dr elsey's respiratory relief crystals.

In addition, try a calming product. Feliway is pricey and sometimes ineffective, but Thunderease and Sentry have diffusers, there is Calm-o-mile, Only Natural Pet and Vetriscience have products, there are treats, collars, wipes, and each product has a different ingredient forumula.

Also, along with the enzymatic cleaner pick up a black light (check the reviews, some are better than others) and make sure you're getting every thing clean.

Contain her to a room while you-all get this worked out. How soon are you getting married and moving out? Do what you can to ensure your parents are less stressed about this.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Problemchild1995

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the ideas so far!!!!!!

So far I have put her into a spare room she seems to like. I put 1 clean litter in there and I'm likely gonna bring another up. I don't have potting soil, but I did dig up some dirt to mix in.

For litter I have Glade clumping and some cheap non clumping clay litter. I'm gonna have a box of each for her in there. I'm also gonna try to stream her some cat music from YouTube over night.

She was fixed only a month ago, they give them her shots and check her over. It may be a week or 2 before I could afford to get her in, so I'm hoping it's behavioral.

Problemchild1995

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also have food and water in their for her. Hoping to make it as unstressful as possible. I think she knows I'm worried though.

Problemchild1995

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I came in to check on her and dig around in her litter. Found a clump that might be pee. Could it be as simple as she wanted a place away from the other cat boxes? We have our litter pans in a very close together square.

Jack B

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One thing that may help, is when introducing a new cat box with new cat litter you might try adding a tiny bit of second hand litter. Without this your cat may not recognize it as a litter box. They're behavior is greatly influenced by smell. You and kitty will work it out.
Jack

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Could it be as simple as she wanted a place away from the other cat boxes? We have our litter pans in a very close together square.
If there's any type of bullying going on between 2 cats, it can help to put the litter boxes in different areas of the house. That way the bully can't be watching every litter box at the same time.

Problemchild1995

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, so she's been in here 3 days. And only uses litter. Except 1 time, my sister decided to throw clothes in on the floor. She peed on them. No other issues

What is my next step? And when can I let her out?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow, that IS positive!

Ummm, I'd say leave everything exactly as it is in her room, and I think go ahead and open the door so she can explore ? Are there litter boxes out in the main part of the house, not too obvious to your family but where she can find them?
Keeping my fingers crossed for you!!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is she the only pet? Or are there other cats / animals?

Problemchild1995

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's supposed to be HOT today, so I think I should let her out of that room. I will let her try.
And no. We have 2 cats besides her. Plus a Chihuahua/Jack Russell mix.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I guess by now she's met her feline and canine siblings. Let us know how it went.

Problemchild1995

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey. I've been busy!

Yes she met them a few days after move in.

She peed on the kitchen floor this morning. I know of 2 or 3 incidents since my last post.
Got woken up early to clean a big puddle.

We've been trying to give her her own litter box, but so far we can't seem to keep my fiances cat Pumpkin from using her box. He's lazy, so goes to whatever's close! I can't punish him, HE'S using the box. Just not HIS box. We moved her box downstairs, but away from the other boxes.

If I want to keep her I HAVE to get her to use the litterbox 100% of the time. Parents are already suggesting places to send her or to make her an outside cat etc. I'd much rather keep my cat.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Was she using the litter box all the time when she was in the spare room?

Problemchild1995

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Was she using the litter box all the time when she was in the spare room?
Yes. She I checked all over, there was no where else to go. And I checked enough I would have been able to tell. She was using the box. It just seemed she didn't stop until Pumpkin decided to use it.

I moved her box back downstairs. She has 2 boxes on the opposite side of the basement from the other cats. I haven't found any pre spots since, but I will have to do an in depth search downstairs. So far, she seems to be adjusting again. She even started loving on my parents. The only person who hasn't earned her trust yet is my fiance. And that's likely b3cause she doesn't like being forced to be held or cuddled and my Fiance LOVES to do that.