Newly recognized cat breeds

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've just recently gotten into purebreds (Holly is an Ocicat) and would love to learn more about the little known breeds. I think most people that stumble onto TCS are like me...clueless and cat lovers

I vote for Australian Mist, although to be honest I haven't heard of most of the suggestions listed before. Guess that's my homework

possomscreek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by FerrisCat

Under which registry are they recognized? As the Savannah and Donskoy are still both developing breeds (and one a hybrid at that!!) I find it a little questionable that they would already be used to create new breeds. . .
We are using REFR to reg. our kittens at this oint to keep a tract on our breeding program. These kittens are being made for pets for people who have allergies to cat dander. Sv and DonSphynx is main breed used but we are also using breeds that are also used in the legal outcross for both breeds. Few breeders in CA and USA have come together to create this hypoallergenic breed. Making kids with allergies happy to have a kitty to love and hold with out he illness.
I cat that is of all worlds, ours and the outer limits!

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by possomscreek

We are using REFR to reg. our kittens
Dossow cat is not a recognized breed with any of the major US registries being CFA, TICA, and ACFA. I don't even think it is recognized in any of the major registries outside of the US either. REFR is not a legit registery.

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by possomscreek

These kittens are being made for pets for people who have allergies to cat dander.
We already have established breeds that fill that need; the Sphynx, the Devon Rex, the Cornish Rex. . . and not to mention the Siberian, a LH breed!

My issue with this is that the Don Sphynx/Peterbald is a new breed. It is still not recognized in all of the major cat registries. Until the breed is fully established, it should not be used to create any new breeds, least of all with another developing breed, the Savannah, which doesn't even have Championship status in TICA!!!
I'm not even sure why a Savannah would be selected in the first place. . . I don't think the breed is known for people being able to "love and hold" it!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the Savannah has any "wild cat" in the background, it will never be accepted by CFA - so its not a good thing to be including it into developing a new breed.