Newly Pregnant cat leaking clear watery fluid

British Girls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys!
So my British female just came back from the stud the day before yesterday and I noticed that she has been leaking a clear watery discharge....not a lot (just enough so that you just see a bead it on her lady parts - sort of like when she's in heat), it doesn't smell, and she is acting pretty much normal (eating, drinking, using the potty as normal). Has anybody had this before? Am I just being a worrywart? She would be 6 days pregnant today (if she is pregnant) and is acting totally normal and has no fever.

I would normally just ask the vet, but there is a language barrier here in the middle east... My arabic is very weak, and unfortunately, I don't feel that they know that much about cats as when ever I ask a question, their cure for everything is 'Ohhhhh, she needs her routine vaccinations (which she already has)!'

Also, she came out of heat yesterday...could it be from that or do you guys think it's something else? I'm really hoping it's not pyometra, but I was told that pyometra is like a pseudopregnancy and that discharge is pus like or bloody or green and stinks... It's none of those... I just wanna be careful and err on the safe side of things...I just love her to bits, and hope I'm just overreacting. Lol.

Also, for those that will probably tell me that I shouldn't be breeding, my cat is a registered British Shorthair, and I have breeding rights.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

British Girls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys!
So my British female just came back from the stud the day before yesterday and I noticed that she has been leaking a clear watery discharge....not a lot (just enough so that you just see a bead it on her lady parts - sort of like when she's in heat), it doesn't smell, and she is acting pretty much normal (eating, drinking, using the potty as normal). Has anybody had this before? Am I just being a worrywart? She would be 6 days pregnant today (if she is pregnant) and is acting totally normal and has no fever.

I would normally just ask the vet, but there is a language barrier here in the middle east... My arabic is very weak, and unfortunately, I don't feel that they know that much about cats as when ever I ask a question, their cure for everything is 'Ohhhhh, she needs her routine vaccinations (which she already has)!'

Also, she came out of heat yesterday...could it be from that or do you guys think it's something else? I'm really hoping it's not pyometra, but I was told that pyometra is like a pseudopregnancy and that discharge is pus like or bloody or green and stinks... It's none of those... I just wanna be careful and err on the safe side of things...I just love her to bits, and hope I'm just overreacting. Lol.

Also, for those that will probably tell me that I shouldn't be breeding, my cat is a registered British Shorthair, and I have breeding rights.
I wrote "I have breeding rights....just to clarify, my cat is 'active' on the registry.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I want to believe this is normal and ok.

If the local vets are so so, and there is a llanguge barrier, you can perhaps find a vet in your home country, whom answers telephone or mail questions? Perhaps your own old vet?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The clear fluid is not concerning unless it turns bloody or green or yellow. It sounds like the end of her heat cycle and perhaps from mating. It will hopefully stop soon. Continue to observe and let us know if it does not get better.

How old is your cat? Is this a different pregnant cat than the one who was pregnant in January?

British Girls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The clear fluid is not concerning unless it turns bloody or green or yellow. It sounds like the end of her heat cycle and perhaps from mating. It will hopefully stop soon. Continue to observe and let us know if it does not get better.

How old is your cat? Is this a different pregnant cat than the one who was pregnant in January?
Thankfully, it stopped...I think it was just from her heat.

She just turned 4, yes this is a different cat...this is her third litter.

Last edited:

British Girls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I want to believe this is normal and ok.

If the local vets are so so, and there is a llanguge barrier, you can perhaps find a vet in your home country, whom answers telephone or mail questions? Perhaps your own old vet?
I don't really know any vets in the states, but I'm sure I could get hold of one... it has been 17 years since I have lived in the US, so I don't really know anyone. I can ask my aunt who has a cat who she would recommend.