Newly diagnosed diabetic cat

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took my parents' cat to the vet because they were neglecting his care. Kirby is diabetic and needs insulin twice a day. Does anyone have any experience with having a diabetic cat? Any tips on getting low-cost insulin? I'm not sure how long I can afford $300 insulin for him since I'm not giving him back to my parents.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi MonaLyssa33 !

The very best online place to get info and advice for diabetic kitties is the Feline Diabetes Message Board. They really are experts in all this, as well as being very well-informed in cat health issues. People from here who have 'met up' with them have come back calling them 'Angels'. They have a forum like this one, so there's nothing different or unusual involved.

Have a look around and see what you think: Feline Diabetes Message Board.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely join the FelineDiabetes.com message board for more advice and tips.

What insulin is the cat on? Lantus and other insulin for Humans are pretty pricey but there are ways to lower the cost. Starting the cat on a good insulin and a low carb canned food only diet oftentimes puts the cat in remission within a short period of time. Start with the diet change first and then start insulin.

You may be able to get a one time help with diabetic supplies from this organization: Assistance Programs – Diabetic Cats in Need

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Definitely join those boards as they are very well informed and a great help. My last diabetic cat (there have been two) was on ProZinc but I was not paying that much for a bottle of it. Previous cat was on Humulin but that was about 20 years ago so I don't know if that information is even valid.

A bottle of insulin should last for 6 to 8 weeks and has to be refrigerated. It is very kind of you to step up for this cat. It is running about $107 on most of the websites like Chewy.

I have said this lots of times here....I would rather give an animal insulin injections than pill them, especially cats, even though who are not primo friendly. Not saying that diabetes is not a serious condition that has to be monitored, but I have never had cat or dog fight the injection, and the first cat was semi feral.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Previous cat was on Humulin but that was about 20 years ago so I don't know if that information is even valid.
Humulin N is sometimes used but it's too short acting for cats and regulation is harder. It's a cheap insulin to buy.

A bottle of insulin should last for 6 to 8 weeks and has to be refrigerated. It is very kind of you to step up for this cat. It is running about $107 on most of the websites like Chewy.
That's about typical for a pet insulin. For some Human insulins such as Lantus and Levmir, the 10 ml bottle lasts about a month before it "poops out" but a 3 ml insulin pen can last to nearly the last drop. The insulin pens typically come in a box of 5 but that's basically at least a 5 month supply you have on hand. Definitely lots of pros and cons to using pet insulin or Human insulin and it should be discussed with the vet who will know what the best course of treatment is :) I know the FelineDiabetes.com board has more info on all the different types of insulins that can be used and the dosing protocols.

BCP PZI has a free 5 ml insulin offer your vet can get you MonaLyssa33 MonaLyssa33 BCP PZI® Bovine Insulin for Cats | BCP Veterinary Pharmacy I have no experience with that particular insulin but there is a whole forum on the FelineDiabetes.com board about it.

I have said this lots of times here....I would rather give an animal insulin injections than pill them, especially cats, even though who are not primo friendly. Not saying that diabetes is not a serious condition that has to be monitored, but I have never had cat or dog fight the injection, and the first cat was semi feral.
Glipizide is the pill alternative to insulin. Pilling a cat any kind of pill is difficult even if Pill Pockets or some other method is used. Glipizide also just doesn't work well at all, forcing the already burned out pancreas to work even harder. Remission or even semi-good regulation is not possible using the pill.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My rainbow bridge cat Mist was on Glipizide. She would nomm it right up in her food. Low carb wet food only, got some weight off her, and she didn't even need the Glipizide any more. Worked very well for her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UPDATE:
A couple of weeks ago I took my parents' cat, Kirby, to the vet because he was emaciated and sickly looking. He was diagnosed with diabetes and was severely dehydrated. I took him to the vet today for a check-up and they said he's doing really well. He gained about a pound and his glucose levels dropped significantly so he's no longer in a diabetic crisis. I haven't returned him to my parents and I haven't planned on doing it, to be honest. I feel he is better off with me and my siblings agree.

I've started feeding him 4 times a day because he was biting my face while I was sleeping because he was hungry and wanted me to wake up (and he's the world's sweetest cat, so biting is not something he does). His fur is looking a lot better too and he doesn't have dandruff anymore.

Even though he's 12 years old, he has gotten along really well with my kitten. They like to play and chase each other. My parents have another cat, who is 17, and she's so old now that she doesn't really do anything, so I feel that Kirby is loving having playmates.

Last edited by a moderator:

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi again MonaLyssa33 !

It's great to hear how he's recovering.

I haven't had to deal with diabetes in any of my cats............I've read about 'hangry' cats, though. I wonder if he's getting enough food.....?

Did you talk to the wonderful folks on The Feline Diabetes Message Board ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so happy to hear that he is doing so well under your care! I'd be inclined to keep him, as well.