Newly adopted cats have disappeared in the house.

michele mandel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We just adopted two sisters from a pet shelter. Our last cats died over six months ago and we are happy to have new ones. They are spayed already and 5 months old. But they had been in the shelter for a month or two. As soon as we put them on the floor they disappeared behind cabinets. They found areas we did not know we had. It has been a week and they have yet to join us and I can't find them. They are using the litter box and eating so they are still around but continue to refuse to come out into a public area. We can't even pet them they are so spooked. Help!

Michele

quiltingkate

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, at least if they're eating and using the litter box, you know they've found a hiding place they can get out of!  We rescued a kitten that kept hiding from us, every night we had to look for him (he was delighted when we found him) and the last time we found him he was between the studs in a wall that was only finished on one side, with boxes stacked on the other... he'd was five feet down and I don't think he'd have gotten out of there on his own.  After that, he only hid in my closet under my clothes...

What a shame that they're so spooked! I'm sure adapting to a home after the shelter would be hard... were they feral before?   Hang in there, they'll come around.  My spooky cat became a loving, loyal boy (came when we called, hung out with us when we were home, but was always spooked by loud noises...)  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

michele mandel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks, it is good to hear they will eventually come out. Darn it- we want to play with them.

quiltingkate

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep, it's frustrating when you're all geared up to play with the kittens, and the kittens are hiding... probably hanging out together somewhere...

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yep...we always recommend starting them off in a small room, and letting them adjust first. A whole house and new people can be quite overwhelming to a shelter cat. Especially if these 5 month old kittens were from an unsocialized, unwanted litter. They will come around, and eventually try coming out during the day. I would look for them though, or wait for them at night when they are likely coming out, and confine them to a smaller room so you can spend some time with them while they settle in.

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Do you know which room they are hiding in? Is it possible to close the doors to that room so they have to stay there? Then you could set up that room as their safe room with everything they need in it.

If you're able to do that I recommend getting a Feliway Diffuser for that room. it gives off a smell that humans can't detect, but it calms the cats right down.

Then you could try sitting in that room, talking to them softly until they get used to the sound of your voice.

I had a semi-feral kitten that lived in the bottom of my wardrobe for a whole month once. I knew where he was, but he was way too skittish to come out until he was good and ready.