Newly Adopted Cat Not Moving

telsiph

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Greetings All,

I realize this is an issue that occurs with new cats, but I'm curious how long is an acceptable amount of time for it to occur. A little over 24 hours ago I adopted a new cat that needed a new home. Clean bill of health, happy at her old home but unfortunately fought with the other cats so it was determined she would be better by herself without other cats. There was a dog at the original house, so she is at least used to be being around dogs.

She has never been moved to a new house, so I understand this is a shock, but I'm concerned for her health. Unfortunately I do not have enough room in the house to give her a room all to herself. I've set up everything she needs in the front room where she is hiding. Have some food and water on one side, a liter box on the other. I've kept things really quiet, and the dog has only been in the room for a few moments. She does not appear to be terrified, but she does not appear to be willing to move. This appears to have gone on all night. I was hoping there would be some sign of movement, but liter box is unused, food and water were not drunk etc. This continued as well as I gave her 5 hours in the house by herself. She let's me pet her, has not made a sound (no hissing or meowing), just no real movement either.

I've placed a few treats in front of her, and tried a plate of wet food with some cat nip sprinkles, sniffed it and was not interested. I also tried a little bit of this..."At Ease" pheromone spray around the room, this also did nothing. I may be trying a bit to hard here, I'm just concerned for her health, not sure how long a 4 year old cat can safely go without eating or drinking due to fear!

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was she spayed already or did that happen recently?

I would call the shelter/group and ask how she did at shelter/foster home.  Is she being offered her food choice from original home?  It is going on being to long now.

Clear eyes and nose?  no discharges?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

telsiph

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not 10 minutes after I posted this, she's finally exploring! Came out, was very loving, sniffed around, moved into the kitchen and is now hiding under the table. Hasn't eaten or drank anything, but definite progress. I'm confident it is just a matter of time now.

Also yes, the treats and food is the exact same she had in the original home.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let her come to you, and it can take a couple of weeks or more for some cats to settle even as an only cat.  She will probably eat at night when you are not around.

telsiph

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has been spade for quite some time now, so it was not recent. I do have a dog, so I know that's frightening for her, however the interaction has been minimal. They have seen each other, but he is outside the majority of the day (for now). She's incredibly loving when I can convince her to come out, but she seems afraid that the dog is going to come around the corner. She was around a dog in the shelter, so I had hoped she would be more comfortable around one than this. She has a nice cave set up in the kitchen, sitting on a chair underneath the table gives her a nice vantage point of everything.

I left her a buffet of food to try, some mashed up classic patte, some dry food (that she used to eat at the original home) treats (that she used to eat at the previous home) and water. It seems as though she ate a little bit of the classic patte. No indication of using the liter box, she's been here coming up on 48 hours so I'm just concerned for her health is all, not sure what is "normal" amount of shyness in a new home, and what could be harmful. She also appears to be afraid of the height of the ceiling. My kitchen has a very high roof, and this seems to bug her, she is always looking up and around as if something is above her. For now I've placed the buffet rather close to her little cave in the kitchen, and sprayed some of the "At Ease" pheromone, not sure what else I can do other than that. At least she came out and explored though, and appeared to appreciate the attention she got when she came out!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coming out after only 24 hours is really quick, often cats will hide for weeks or months. I'm glad she is settling in. Congratulations on your new family member!

telsiph

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, that's good news then! So there are no health concerns for her not eating (maybe a little of the wet food I left overnight, hard to tell) drinking, or using the liter box for 48 hours? She's getting a little brave today, coming out and looking at something and then running over to me for a reassuring neck rub before exploring some more, then back to the cave after about 15 minutes of that.