Newly adopted cat hissing

stephcb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I adopted a cat today and it's my first time adopting an adult cat. I had my first cat from the time he was a kitten. This cat (the only one in our home) came home only this morning. His previous owners had him declawed unfortunately. He's hiding in his safe room under the bed with food on one side of the room and his litter box on the other side. He's used the litter box but hasn't eaten or had any water in the last 12 hours. Whenever we try to get into the room he will hiss and charge at us. He hits our legs with his paws which doesn't hurt obviously. But we back off and leave him alone. The only thing I'm worried about is my son who is 3 and keeping a safe distance since he was hissed at. Is our new cat likely to bite since it's the only way he'd have to defend himself? And what is a realistic time frame in which to expect some changes in his behaviour? He came out to visit onice today but attacked and went back under the bed.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The cat is definitely scared, and he probably has had some unpleasant experiences in his life, starting with having his toes cut off and having to learn to walk all over again.  He may have pain in his feet -- many declawed cats do.  Did you adopt him directly from his previous owners or did he come through a rescue group or animal shelter?  Why did you choose this particular cat?  Do you know his history?  I would suggest you treat him like we do newly captured feral cats, and you can read a lot about this in our Forum called Caring for Strays and Ferals.  I would suggest NOT allowing your son to be with the cat at this time, as it will be stressful for both of them.  The cat does need a room of his own, with his food and litter on opposite sides of the room (nobody wants to eat near their toilet!) and if you can move slowly and talk gently to him when you do go in, and don't look him directly in the eye, that is a good beginning.  He may calm down in a few days, or he may not.  In the meantime, do try to find out as much as you can about this poor cat.  I'm sorry that right now he can't be a good pet to you and your son, but he's a lost soul who has been wounded and needs your patience and sympathy right now.  I'll see if I can get one or two of the Feral advisors to come and coach you and how to calm down a scared cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephcb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. He just came into the kitchen where my son was eating dinner. He sniffed my son's toes and then rolled around on the floor right in front of him. On his back! That must be a good sign. I don't consider him a bad pet. Just scared. I want to make those scary change easier for him. I chose him because I saw him posted and the ad was all proud about him being declawed. So I wanted to rescue the poor guy. Breaks my heart. He's currently hiding under the couch but I'm sure he'll come out when he's ready.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with red top rescue red top rescue that your son should keep his distance for now.

I think patience and time are key here. It can take weeks for rehomed cats to form bonds and acclimate to their new environment.

He's a really handsome guy, who will probably make a very sweet pet once he adjusts. I think it's a good sign that he has already come into the kitchen to visit and roll onto his back!

However, I would let the cat set the pace. In fact, just sitting on the floor with him and allowing him to check you out without trying to pet him will help to reassure the cat.

And I'm guessing that he will eat during the night when the house is quiet.

He's scared. Be patient. Thank you for offering him a home!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some other things to consider are investing in some calming agents such as Feliway (this may have already been suggested).  This will help him de-stress.  My other thought is to confine him to just one room with all the ammenities so that he can get used to all the new sights, sounds, and the routine of the house.  You can also make sure that he comes to know you and is comfortable with you.  I put all my kitties in isolation for at least a week when I bring them home just to make sure I know they're using the box properly, eating well, and they're comfortable with me.  Then I gradually expose them to the rest of the house.