Newly adopted cat hisses when I try to pick her up

moonsweptdreams

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yesterday I adopted a beautiful gray tabby, 4 years old, spayed, up to date on rabies vaccination. I named her Elsie because I didn't think the name the shelter gave her was fitting for her. She's a very sweet girl. She's a little hot-tempered but not violent. She's a very curious cat. She will gladly come up to me, marking her scent on me etc. She LOVES to have her head and back rubbed.

I have managed to hold her long enough to say hello and get her put in a cat carrier, but that's it really. I have to pick her up occasionally since she still doesn't understand that bedtime is in my bedroom and that she can't be out roaming around during that time. But soon as she sees me slowly reaching out for her, she hisses and growls but doesn't make any violent threats. I understand she still doesn't trust me fully yet, and I'm patiently letting her adjust. But I need to pick her up occasionally to get her places and she's scared when I do that. Is this likely to be a temporary thing?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi Moonsweptdreams, welcome to the Catsite :wavey:
Glad that you adopted a cat from the shelter.
How long has the cat been home? It takes time for the cat to get use to a new place. It's better to let him roam the whole house and blocking places you don't want her to go. Let her get use to the smell of the house and get familiarized with the place. Let her do her own expiring of the house.
It is most likely that she is not use to her new home yet and therefore she hisses and growls when you try to pick her up. Let her gain her trust in you and to the people around and also the surroundings. Many things we want to do with a cat is always on their terms and not ours. So do it slowly and it'll soon get over. Talk more to her and not necessary to carry her all the time yet.
Distract her into the room by luring her in with a toy and play with her till she gets accustomed to the idea that the bedroom is for her to sleep in.
But don't be surprised that in the middle of the night she asked to get out as lots of cats start to get active around 4am.
Hope her transition to her new home is a smooth one.
Please show us her photos!

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to you and Elsie! tabbytom tabbytom has given wise advice. For now, use a toy or treat to lead her where you would like her to go. I would avoid picking her up for now so that she can learn to trust you. I think it will just take time for Elsie to get used to her new home and the routines. New homes are really stressful for cats.
Some cats just dislike being picked up. I adopted my girl from a shelter for years ago and to this day I just don't even try to pick her up. It's not worth the stress it clearly causes her. If she needs to go to the vet, I lead her into her carrier with a treat. She will go into her carrier willingly because I leave it out accessible to her all the time so that it's a place she is familiar with and feels safe in.

Good luck to you and Elsie and thank you for adopting her and giving her a forever home [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

PS yes, please post photos of Miss Elsie [emoji]128522[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moonsweptdreams

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone. She's slowly warming up but still prefers not to be picked up. I admire her for how tolerant she is when someone does pick her up though. She's not violent toward us at all. She's mostly warming up to me, thank goodness. I have been wanting a cat of my own, that I can actually call my own :) She is coming out of her shell. Still learning her boundaries, etc.

Here's a picture! :)

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness she's adorable! Definitely looks like an Elsie!!

I just wanted to echo what everyone else has said -- even as Elsie becomes more comfortable with you and her new home, she may never like being picked up! She's an adult cat and she may not have ever been picked up before in her life, and suddenly finding all four paws off the ground can be startling! Even if she never enjoys being held in your arms, no doubt she'll have her own things she loves, like favorite cuddling positions and favorite places to be petted. 
 I hope you'll continue to post pictures, she's such a beautiful cat!

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I'm so glad that things are improving with that beautiful girl of yours [emoji]10084[/emoji]️ It takes time for a cat to adjust to her new home...lots of new sights, smells and sounds. Lots of love and patience (both things you seem to have plenty of [emoji]128522[/emoji]) will help that process and will forge a bond between you and sweet Elsie. Keep doing what you are doing and you will really see her blossom.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moonsweptdreams

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone :) Her favorite things to do are head boop, get head and booty rubs, get high on catnip and smell herbs, lol. We have rosemary in the kitchen and she was hopping onto the counters just to smell it! It calms her. I'm doing that tape trick though, so she doesn't do that again. I need to get her one of those kitty pouches with lavender in it or something :)

MaxKatt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OP... Did you get Elsie at the shelter in Yonkers, NY and by chance return her that just short of the 3 month deadline?

I ask because I stumbled upon this site after Googling "shelter cat hisses and can't be picked up."

We adopted "Ellie" from Yonkers 4 days ago. See my avatar, she looks like your cat, was checked in 11-12-16. I note that date would be just 3 days short of your 3 month return date.

We're going to be patient and see how things progress. I'm 50 and come from a family of multi cat owners. Lots of experience. Never had to deal with anything like this.

Although I initially focused on her due to her attractiveness, I probably would have passed on her due to personality. My girlfriend, however, felt they made eye contact, and felt something deeper. I felt it was more important for her to feel a strong connection, as the last cat was my 15 year old and she often felt "odd man out" as he and I were super close. Loved that cat. Stray from the streets of Houston.

We assume she's just "institutionalized" from her year and 2 months "in jail." Got her climbing furniture, toys, everything a cat could want. We scatter nuts and bird food outside the window to insure she has stimulating things to look at.

Still the hissing, and her preferred place to rest is on the threshold of the tiled bathroom floor. We think this is because the bathroom is the closest approximation to her former cage. Cold/cool smooth floor, controlled box behind her into which she can retreat and nobody can be behind her.

Any help from anyone appreciated. We love her and think she's a beautiful cat. She can be so sweet when she's being good...but the second you put your hands on her....hissing explosion!

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
MaxKatt MaxKatt , the very best thing you can do is not put your hands on or even near her until she signals you that she wants to be touched. She will do this by sniffing your hand or head butting it or other places on you. Until then she is signaling you that she doesn’t want to be touched. By honoring her wishes you are helping to build her confidence and trust in you.

Four days is a very very short time for any cat to adjust, let alone one who has lived at a shelter for more than a year. It may take weeks for her full personality to emerge.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not uncommon to find cats that look alike, and they all take time to get accustomed to a new environment. Hissing is the only way a cat has to warn you that she is unsure, or doesn't like something. Time will take care of that, as she grows to love you she will allow a lot more situations that involve something she doesn't like. A LOT of cats don't like to be picked up, they have bad experiences, perhaps remembering the trip to the shelter, or being shoved into a carrier. If you HAVE to pick her up, do so gently and stroking her, talking softly the whole time to give her confidence that you are not so scary. Getting her to first sit on your lap and be comfortable, paves the way to handling her too. It just takes time, but she will come around!
I hope she isn't the 'Elsie' from above, that would be heartbreaking! Your Ellie looks like she has more pronounced stripes. I hope the original OP comes back on!

MaxKatt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks guys. I'm glad I checked here.

One of my girlfriend's friens with 4 cats of her own encouraged just the opposite, saying the best approach was just to man-handle her and force the issue. Didn't feel right in my belly, so I wanted to check conventional wisdom with some authority.

We do not HAVE to pick her up or move her anywhere. Sad though. She was in the cage so long it appears her muscles have atrophied. She can barely get on the bed, and then only with great effort hauling herself up by clawing the side. Her entire exploration has been confined to the ground level. Every other cat I've ever known LOVES to explore and take the high ground to observe all if they can.

I'll post updates.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so sad she was in a cage so long. I think she has been through enough, been let down enough, learned to mistrust enough, taht forcing the issue would not be a good thing. She will come around. Work on building up those muscles, get a wand and play. They will build up eventually, make sure she is getting a lot of protein and extra nutrition in her diet, A kitten food would provide that. You have literally saved her life. She will repay you sevenfold, she will bring so much into your life and soul, your are truly blessed!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's pretty! She actually looks really happy and comfortable in the photos. My cat Maggie is like that, she likes to hang out with us and roll around on her back and lay in doorways, but she doesn't like pets unless she asks for them. I think everything will be okay, she even looks like she's smiling in that one photo! :)

MaxKatt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are having a better morning here. We laid out blankets on the living room floor and she slept down on the corner of our little campsite last night. No hisses yet. I just scattered more peanuts outside all the windows to bring the squirrels for her. We're trying to make it work!

MaxKatt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He guys. Bumping this again. We seem to have good moments, and not good moments. I've given in, assuming men previously treated her badly. My girlfriend is trying to push through this in hopes her relationship with the cat improves, but at one month in she's still hissing and often distant and evasive.

We don't want to bring her back because if we can't figure it out, most likely she will spend her days in the cage, or worse.

Going to take her to the vet to be sure there's nothing physical going on. Doubt it.

We have toys, boxes, peanuts and seeds outside to attract squirrels and birds for her to watch. We don't pick her up, and respect her hissing and wagging tail. I would have thought any creature going from a cage to such a warm and loving environment would respond more positively.

How to break through and let her accept...everything is okay now. Everything will be okay forever. Just relax.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All you can do is keep trying and never give up on her. Maggie still hisses at me sometimes and I've had her for 3 years. She likes to hang out with us and play. But she doesn't like to be told what to do or petted without her permission. Hopefully she will mellow out, but if not, I accept her for who she is. Luckily I have a boy cat who is more affectionate.