Newfoundlands

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Fiona is such a joy.  I have her on a raw diet and she is doing so well on it.  What I like about raw feeding is it takes her time to eat so the threat of bloat is diminished (at least that is what my friends with Newfies say). 

When I was little, my mother let me have a lab puppy.  I bonded with her the whole day.  I loved that puppy.  When my dad came home from work he made us take her back.  I never forgave him for that. 

As time goes on..the kitties are getting along better.  Mr. Orange Kitty is not hissing anymore. 

Trick or treat!!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So cute! I love the pic of her with the hat, I always say it's good to get them used to wearing "stuff" when they're little, it's a good socialization exercise and helpful to get them used to strange objects/items on them when young because you never know what they may need in the future.

That is somewhat true about raw diets however bloat isn't always directly connected to eating so there is still risk. My Golden bloated with torsion when she had not eaten that day, had not drank a lot of water or exercised (other 'risk factors') etc...

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

She is getting so big!!

I look at that first picture and think...Was she ever that tiny??

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Look at the paws on her! She may have grown quite a bit, but she's got quite a way to go yet! She's really adorable.

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks!

She sure does have alot more growing to do.  Her father is 180 pounds!

Training is a bit harder than I expected.  It is getting easier now that I found a treat that she loves...freeze dried tripe.  I have gotten over all the squeemishness that I had with raw food.  It is what it is and the food is better for her. 

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
180 lbs.! That's incredible. My sister had a Newfoundland years ago, but I doubt Bear was more than 120 or so. He was a bit stubborn, but an absolute love.
Clicker training really works with the right treats.

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here is one of her Christmas pictures.  She has a bit of an allergy problem now.  They vet said it was normal this time of year.

maple syrup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am also a Newfie... but not a dog LOL.  My first memory of a Newfoundland dog was when I was 7.  My friend had one - quite young.. maybe 2 years old physically grown but a puppy nature, I walked over to her house and he came bounding out to greet me... which included standing up to put his paws on my shoulders.  It was a full Marmaduke moment as I landed flat on my back with a big excited doggie tongue licking my face.  At 7 years old it was both frightening and funny all at the same time.  Cool dogs and always good natured.  Love the pics.

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would love to visit Newfoundland.  It looks beautiful.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What an absolutely gorgeous dog! l love Newfs. A lady had one where l used to get my nails done, and he was the most amiable dog ever - although he wasn't a fan of the heat.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Your Christmas will be extra special this year with such a beautiful pup to share it with - enjoy!:heart3:

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not sure how I am going to do Christmas.  If I have an artificial tree, the kittens will climb it, pull branches off and basically demolish the tree.  If I get a live tree, the cats will leave it alone but who knows what Fiona will do.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually haven't had many problems with Xmas trees with my dogs even the fosters. I always keep the breakable ornaments out of their reach, (mostly worried about happy tails getting too close!) and we had one small dog who liked to sleep under the tree. I also make sure the tree water is covered because it can be bad for them if they drink it. I know some people use a dog exercise pen or one of those extended baby gates to go around the tree to keep their dog away from it, although I've never had to do that.

Last edited:

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

One of her final Christmas pictures. 

And yes, she is smiling in every one of her pictures :)

Last edited: