Newest Update On My Husband's Health

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Battling this horrible Merkel Cell (skin cancer). Started radiation but after a PT scan the dr felt it wasn't doing the job. He is now on an immunotherapy treatment program with a new FDA approved drug called Avalumab. It has had considerable success in treating this Merkel Cell and we feel it should do the job. It is an intravenous treatment administered every other week, with the alternate week for lab work. So far he has had just one treatment, next Tues is labs and the following Tues the Avalumab treatment. It is done similar to chemotherapy, but doesn't have the bad after effects that chemo has. Treatment takes around one hour. The only side effects they mention would be a skin rash, itching or maybe muscle aches similar to flu. I am grateful for the wonderful drs we have and just pray for the best. This is a very aggressive disease and will be to be monitored for the rest of his life.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for checking in. However, I'm sorry the radiation wasn't doing what the doctors expected. I have heard promising results with the use of immunotherapy regimens particularly less potential for creating resistance. My thoughts are with your DH and you. Please keep us updated on his treatment program. :hugs: