Newest "keeper" girl

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitties - have you been to a TICA or ACFA show where Bengals are shown? If not, that's a good place to learn what makes a Bengal show quality. And also reading a good Bengal book.

When I got my Oci, I also picked up an Ocicat book and read it cover to cover. Then read the standards in CFA and ACFA (which is the same). My biggest problem was that Charlie was usually the only Oci and had to listen to judges compliment him on points if they finaled him or when judging.

I learned what makes a better Ocicat so that when I picked out my next one, I knew what I was to be looking for (knowing Charlie's faults and strengths)

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would love to go to a TICA show. Unfortunately, the only TICA club in my state is having their annual show on the same weekend that I will be out of town at a work related conference. However, they are hosting the SC regional show in 2010. I would think there would be even more cats and breeders at that one.

I do have the Barron's book on Bengal cats by Dan Rice, D.V.M. There is not alot out on Bengals. There is a book by Gene Ducote of Gogees Bengals - one of the founding catteries in Bengals. I plan on ordering it soon. If anyone knows of another book on the breed, please, let me know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittiesHasMe

Ok, I gotta ask. Why is she your pick besides her gorgeous coloring? What are her strong points and what are her weak points?

I used to show dogs (salukis and whippets) and I'm always fascinated by what makes one animal show/breeding quality and another not. How does an animal compare to the written standard for that breed?

Since I now have Anna I'm trying to learn about the Bengal breed. I realize she is not show quality and was sold on a spay/neuter contract (she is spayed) but I would like to learn more about what makes a top show/breeding prospect.

Actually, I've been following all the threads on showing and breeding regardless of cat breed. There is so much to learn!
Good questions!

I picked her over her littermates (who are all IMO, breeder/show quality) for several reasons.
I like her long body and her huge nocturnal eye structure. Her rosettes are more closed than her siblings. For her age she meets the breed standard very well, so I was looking for outstanding things about her. Her sister is going to another breeder and both her brothers sold as show quality pets.
I'm on the fence about her ears and her tail is not as thick as I would like, but I have to keep in mind that she is only 9 weeks old and these things change dramatically as the cat approaches adulthood.
The perfect bengal cat does not exist yet, so we do the best we can. The breed is improving so fast, it's almost hard to believe. Many bengal cats now look much more exotic than a standard asian leopard cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittiesHasMe

I would love to go to a TICA show. Unfortunately, the only TICA club in my state is having their annual show on the same weekend that I will be out of town at a work related conference. However, they are hosting the SC regional show in 2010. I would think there would be even more cats and breeders at that one.

I do have the Barron's book on Bengal cats by Dan Rice, D.V.M. There is not alot out on Bengals. There is a book by Gene Ducote of Gogees Bengals - one of the founding catteries in Bengals. I plan on ordering it soon. If anyone knows of another book on the breed, please, let me know.
You might want to subscribe to Bengals Illustrated. It's a quarterly magazine, as good as any cat magazine in print. I can't say enough good things about this publication. You will learn tons of stuff about bengal cats and the eye candy in the magazine is super!
Contact "Brigitte" at www.bengalcatconnection.com
You can tell them that Nial from Meridian Bengals referred you.

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you, for explaining. I realize she will grow and change but it's nice to learn why you picked her at this time.

I first learned of the Bengal in 1995 in the October issue of Cat Fancy magazine. I still have that issue. However, the cats shown in the article were very different from the current Bengal. Type was all over the place - round heads, wedgie heads and poor spotting. To be honest, at that time I couldn't see the point in another spotted breed when there were already Ocicats and Egytian Maus.

Then I saw the pictures of your cats here on TCS and WOW! has the breed come a long way! Gorgeous rosettes, tri-color marbles, silvers and snows, oh, my! Then I started visiting Bengal breeder sites, I saw new goals set for thicker tails, white bellies and white spectacles adding to the exotic, wild look. And glitter! Visually Bengals are yummy eye candy indeed! It's fascinating to see the evolution of the breed from that article in 1995 to the cats being bred and shown today.

By the way, the earliest CF breed article I have saved is on the blue Abyssinian from December, 1982.

Edit: Thank you for the info and link for the magazine. I will definately check it out.