Newborns pooping by themselves

Honey23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all
I have newborn kittens who are 36 hours old and i have noticed yellow poop on their bedding. Are they pooping on their own as usually mom cat cleans it up. It is possible shes not stimulating them or she might not be cleaning up after them? She is very protective over them and it doing a great job otherwise. Is it anything to worry about? I haven’t seen poop in the nesting box like this before.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Honey23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, she might not be cleaning up after them.
But she is stimulating them? Should i take over and do this for her? Is it something to be worried about?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s not a problem, but you can wipe their bottoms with a warm, damp, soft cloth to clean them, and change the bedding.

When newborn kittens poop on their own it usually means they are eating well and are healthy!

How many kittens are there? Is this the same cat who was pregnant back in April?

@Nala14

Honey23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s not a problem, but you can wipe their bottoms with a warm, damp, soft cloth to clean them, and change the bedding.

When newborn kittens poop on their own it usually means they are eating well and are healthy!

How many kittens are there? Is this the same cat who was pregnant back in April?

@Nala14
Thanks for your help it has put my mind at ease. There are 3 kittens and nope, its not she has been spayed last month. I will be getting this one done too once shes weaned her kittens.

Honey23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
3 kittens all born a healthy weight of 100+ grams, unsure of birth weight exactly as i didnt weigh them for the first time until the morning after they were born.
2of them have gained 20g in 24hours wheras 1 of them has only gained 8g. I am worried it will fall behind or that there may be something wrong. It is quite vocal and takes a while to find the nipple but i have seen it suckling several times throughout the day. Shall i step in and supplement feed it or just wait and monitor?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would not only help guide it to a nipple, but I would begin supplementing 2-3 times a day and see if the kitten’s weight gains pick up.

Do you know how to supplement safely? Here is a helpful video:
Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

Keep us posted!

@Nala14

Honey23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would not only help guide it to a nipple, but I would begin supplementing 2-3 times a day and see if the kitten’s weight gains pick up.

Do you know how to supplement safely? Here is a helpful video:
Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

Keep us posted!

@Nala14
I have been checking up on it frequently and helping to guide it, seems like it has a favourable one and will only feed from it. I will go and get some kitten milk thank you

Honey23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since posting this (2hrs ago) i have weighed it again and it has gained 2g putting it up to a total gain of 10g is this more acceptable or shall i still feed it. I will get the milk regardless

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I would still begin to supplement. The kitten should gain at least 6 grams per day. However, do not force feed if the kitten is not hungry. That’s why I suggested just 2-3 times daily for now. See how it goes!

Honey23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I would still begin to supplement. The kitten should gain at least 6 grams per day. However, do not force feed if the kitten is not hungry. That’s why I suggested just 2-3 times daily for now. See how it goes!
It’s gaining more than 6g but im guessing that’s the minimum that they should gain. Thank you for that i will go out first thing tomorrow morning as it’s currently 1.45am where i am.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That’s fine, and if the kitten is beginning to feed well and gain more you can hold off supplementing. It’s important to have the formula powder on hand though. It can be frozen and they can all lap it during the weaning process if you do not end up using much to supplement.

Your last post is encouraging. It may be that this runt is just catching on now. Sometimes it can take a newborn a day or two. See how it goes!

Honey23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That’s fine, and if the kitten is beginning to feed well and gain more you can hold off supplementing. It’s important to have the formula powder on hand though. It can be frozen and they can all lap it during the weaning process if you do not end up using much to supplement.

Your last post is encouraging. It may be that this runt is just catching on now. Sometimes it can take a newborn a day or two. See how it goes!
Update: kitty gained 8g over night (12hrs) im so pleased thinking of holding off the supplementing as it has its own risks if i dont do it correctly. It’s not something i have done before.

Honey23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys please can you help me with the gender of the kittens. Im unsure as to what they are.
CFBCA770-B7DF-4F03-9733-7F23196CA0BE.jpeg
9B663610-56A5-44F3-B5D1-8E4D6D94097A.jpeg

Honey23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
heres a better picture all 3 of them look the same
918D3421-2154-4576-A9C2-98DADCEBB8F2.jpeg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They appear to be females as best I can tell from your photos.

Honey23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They appear to be females as best I can tell from your photos.
That’s what i thought but was unsure as the 2 round “bits” made me question if they were testicles.