Newborns and nursing

CatLyfe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all! My sweet momma cat has just delivered her 1st litter. We've tragically lost 3 out of the 5, with these last 2 seemingly to be pretty healthy. It took momma 2 days and a lot of help from me to finally stay with her kittens and especially nurse! I've researched to the ends of the earth and still haven't found an answer to my much needed question: Will her kittens remain latched and nursing if there is no milk? Would they detach instantly if there was no milk? My concern comes from my checking of each nipple and not seeing milk from them. They seem content and fall asleep, as well as not crying or whimpering. (They're definitely urinating afterwards. But momma cleans too quick to check for poop) After losing the 3, I'm desperate and determined to make these 2 survive, even if I have to bottle feed intermittently or the whole time! Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatLyfe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They seem content? It's just that I can't seem to get any milk to come out myself. I had to check because she had refused to nurse the 1st 2 days so I was told to check. We got a new setup yesterday and she's been embracing the momma roll!

Attachments

CatLyfe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We're purchasing a scale today, and that's definitely going to help! However, it still leaves me wondering if a kitten is not getting milk, would they stay latched and suckle? They'll latch on, suckle between 10-40min and then sleep. They do not spend their nursing time going between nipples and searching, it's a pretty quick latch.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah, they can latch on a dry nipple and fall asleep without actually getting anything. Usually, they will be losing weight when that happens. Most kittens will try multiple nipples and with only two they should be trying a different one if it is dry. But some kittens will only use one nipple out of habit and won't move if it is dry.

CatLyfe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! I've been watching them all day and they're definitely both set on their specific nipple. I've not seen any frustration, any moving to try others, and almost zero crying. They definitely stay quite awake for the good first half-3/4 of nursing and kneading, then they'll doze a bit. Momma and kits seem content so I'm going to try to relax a bit. I'm hoping to get to a shop for a scale this evening just to make sure. We lost her 1st 3 already so my worries are intensified for sure. I found her 1st born in a bedroom when I got home, very cold and no life. Later, she had her second inside of our couch and by the time we found it, hypothermia had began. I fought for her for over 24 hours and she eventually passed in my hands 😭 Her 3rd was a stillborn, and a bit under-formed, although I still tried every revival technique I could. So these 2 are super special to me and my little family! Thanks!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd probably grab some KMR while at the store just in case there are any issues. If the kittens don't need the KMR you can mix it into Moms food and theirs when they get older so it's not wasted.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thanks! I've been watching them all day and they're definitely both set on their specific nipple. I've not seen any frustration, any moving to try others, and almost zero crying. They definitely stay quite awake for the good first half-3/4 of nursing and kneading, then they'll doze a bit. Momma and kits seem content so I'm going to try to relax a bit. I'm hoping to get to a shop for a scale this evening just to make sure. We lost her 1st 3 already so my worries are intensified for sure. I found her 1st born in a bedroom when I got home, very cold and no life. Later, she had her second inside of our couch and by the time we found it, hypothermia had began. I fought for her for over 24 hours and she eventually passed in my hands 😭 Her 3rd was a stillborn, and a bit under-formed, although I still tried every revival technique I could. So these 2 are super special to me and my little family! Thanks!
You can perhaps borrow a scale from some neighbour? If you dont have a scale, you can try to judge them by hand and eye - but its difficult if you arent experienced.

CatLyfe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I already picked some up on day 1. They were only getting that the majority of the time because momma refused to lay down for more than a minute or 2. I'd even leave her completely alone to see what she'd do and she never went back to check on them. It's been a long couple of days but she finally is embracing the roll.

CatLyfe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I made it to the store and picked up a Taylor Glass Kitchen scale. I'm beginning a log to keep full track of any weight gain/loss. At 2 days old, my Orange is 97g. She is my most worrisome as she's not as full or sturdy. My sweet tabby is a whopping 113g! Quite the difference. Should I record their nursing times as well weigh them a few times directly after nursing? I read your excellent article StephanZ and found it really helpful! Most articles say to only weigh them once every 24hr but others say twice. And the average gain should be around 14g? Thanks!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They should gain 6-10 grams per day minimum, and more is fine. Their weights are actually on the low end, as under 90 grams birthweight is considered premature. It sounds like the kittens were either premature and/or mama is inexperienced, but it also sounds like they are latching now and getting milk.

It can take new moms a couple of days to settle in to their new role as mother and this is due to hormones. Also give mom a dish a day of the formula for extra calcium she needs for nursing. Kittens get colostrum the first 24-36 hours before full milk comes in.

Weigh twice a day for now to make sure they are gaining. If not, supplement, and here’s a helpful video for syringe feeding:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

I’m sorry you lost 3 kittens. It’s heartbreaking. Let’s hope the remaining two thrive. It sounds like they are going to do well!

Last edited:

CatLyfe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It truly is so hard losing them. Especially when I was holding the one and giving my all and it wasn't enough. They're just over 48hr old so I'm hopeful that momma finally nursing will now be the key to their success. She doesn't barely leave their side so I've noticed they're either sleeping or nursing away! I'll definitely stay on top of their weight 2x a day thanks! My next concern is me leaving her alone with them. If I even try to go outside or even nap, she leaves them and follows me with high pitch cries. Or, like last night, she took them from her current box and put them back into her original choice spot, left them, and came to my room. By the time I realized it, they were already feeling cold! Unfortunately, that spot is drafty and cold, as well as she refuses to lay with them if they're in there. So it's like I'm glued to the cats for right now or she'll leave them. When she had them in that 1st place is when I had to bottle feed them because she wouldn't. 1st litter is definitely a learning curve for her and I! Thanks all.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If mom is that insecure right now, make a pallet on the floor for yourself and sleep next to her for a few days so that she is calm and doing her job. It’s a small price to pay for a healthy outcome! 😊

CatLyfe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: I put her bed next to me in my bed and she never tried to move them. She'd leave for whatever but came back every time. (This is the most sleep I've had in 4 nights) I noticed the babes fighting pretty intensely over one single nipple at each feeding last night so I checked each out, and I believe at least 2 nipples are in the beginning stages of mastitis. We're beginning her on an antibiotic treatment right away! But here's the BEST part of the update!!! Little O is weighing in at 116g today!!! That's +19g!!!! Praise God 😭 Little T is weighing in at 129g which is +16g! My hope is getting stronger 🤞Any tips or tricks for a momma on antibiotics, like diet or fluids, would always be welcome.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She’ll just need to continue eating and drinking as normal, and you can soothe her mammary glands with warm, damp compresses and apply coconut oil to the nipples and surrounding areas. It’s non toxic to the kittens.

What antibiotic is she on?

Excellent gains - bravo! Glad you got some sleep!

CatLyfe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Amoxicillin 50mg daily for 5 days. I placed warm and damp cloths last night and they seemed a little less swollen this morning, but uncomfortable discoloration and no milk coming out still. And warm to the touch. I'll do the coconut oil thanks!

CatLyfe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has 3 sets of teats. The two at her rear are the favorite of each kit and those are the mastitis looking. The middle 2 also look like they're getting really uncomfortable, and the 2 nearest her face are so tiny and the kittens just won't nurse them.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She should begin to improve in the next few days with the amoxicillin, and only needs two nipples to produce since there are only two kittens. Just stay on top of the weights so you can step in and supplement if need be while mom is not feeling great.

CatLyfe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Top left-birth Top right-Wed Bottom-Today
1 week update! On Wednesday they had weighed Orange: 97g Gray:113g
I'm so excited to share that on their 1 week milestone they're at O:196g T:209g They're growing steadily between 10-15g a day and doing great! They only nurse momma and no supplement feedings needed! Thanks to all who helped me last week! It was a tough beginning for sure!

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wow! They are now weighing above average for one week old! That’s awesome! 😊