Newborn with intestines on the OUTSIDE of its body?!?

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
was wondering what you did because its happening to my cat right now
Happens in humans as well.  The only kind thing to do is take the kitten to the vet asap to have it pts.  There can be an inherited element as the link below explains so best get the female neutered as soon as she finishes suckling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastrochisis

I used to work in a neo natal unit and saw a number of babies with this defect, or with the similar Omphalocele and most of them had a difficult post-operative course and several died.

darknesslover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
one of my mommas had identical twins and they were both born with their intestines outside of the body. they didnt live long but i asked one of my teachers in of my classes, im studying to become a veterinarian myself and she said it could possibly be genetics or they didnt develop right after the eggs separated. around the time of the mommas first trimester, my family was watching a little girl who didnt have any respect and she shook the momma. the vet couldnt tell if the babies were ok or not but then again he thinks thats the reason why they were born with their intestines out. so trauma could have a big influence in it too. its best to have your momma cat in a calm environment the entire pregnancy and after, so there wont be as many complications.

shunra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

fierysngel62

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've never heard of seen anything like that. We have cars that have had kittens n none that were born like that. Until today. We too had one born today like that. Alil black kitty born around 7/8:00 this morning n.Passed laway this morning a few hours later. I'm very sad the baby kitty didn't make. Is there something that couldve been done.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never heard of seen anything like that. We have cars that have had kittens n none that were born like that. Until today. We too had one born today like that. Alil black kitty born around 7/8:00 this morning n.Passed laway this morning a few hours later. I'm very sad the baby kitty didn't make. Is there something that couldve been done.
I'm so sorry for the loss. Poor baby 

If it was the same birth defect mentioned in previous posts, it is more than likely that there was nothing that could have been done for this little one. Even if he/she was brought in for surgery, there's no guarantee of survival, especially at such a young age. This baby is now over at the bridge receiving great amounts of TLC

It's so hard to lose them even when they come into our lives for just a short time. RIP sweet little baby 

Welcome to TCS. I wish I could welcome you under better circumstances. Feel free to stick around and tell us about your other cats/kittens. 

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is usually not a good sign and the kitten wouldn't make it. I'm sorry that you lost one.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If blackie died "just" a few hours later, the possibility is great there were more faults with blackie.  So even if you had rush with him to a good and experienced vet surgeon, it probably wouldnt save him.  In most cases its just the pts awaiting.  Or hoping they will pass by themselves soon enough, without long days of suffering.

Sorry you had this experience.

animalmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awe, this happened to my cat last night. When I woke up she was meowing to let me know she had her kittens so I went to go check on them and one had what looked like a red sack on it and looked dead. I picked it up thinking it was dead and saw it insides out of its stomach so I held it and waited for my sister to come over so I could show her when she got here it started moving and meowing. I got a little freaked out at first (I almost started crying cause it was awkward to hold a cat the wasn't breathing but still moving and meowing) I called my mom she said it was dead it was just a reaction it had so I sat it down and the mom (Petra) was trying to get it to drink some milk but it wasn't moving so she started playing with it, like it was a dead rat. Then it started meowing again so I sat with it and called my mom again and she was telling me to take it to the vet or something, I called our local vet and they said they couldn't do anything that it was already halfway dead so we left it with the mom and went back to check on it about two hours later and it died.

It was a weird experience.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awe, this happened to my cat last night. When I woke up she was meowing to let me know she had her kittens so I went to go check on them and one had what looked like a red sack on it and looked dead. I picked it up thinking it was dead and saw it insides out of its stomach so I held it and waited for my sister to come over so I could show her when she got here it started moving and meowing. I got a little freaked out at first (I almost started crying cause it was awkward to hold a cat the wasn't breathing but still moving and meowing) I called my mom she said it was dead it was just a reaction it had so I sat it down and the mom (Petra) was trying to get it to drink some milk but it wasn't moving so she started playing with it, like it was a dead rat. Then it started meowing again so I sat with it and called my mom again and she was telling me to take it to the vet or something, I called our local vet and they said they couldn't do anything that it was already halfway dead so we left it with the mom and went back to check on it about two hours later and it died.

It was a weird experience.
I'm sorry this happened. The kitten could have been brought to the vet to be humanely euthanized. That was likely the only option.

How many healthy kittens did Mom have? Do you plan to spay her after this litter?

imrobielynne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My momma cat is giving birth right now to her kittens. The same thing is happening to her first born. All its intestines are out. I tried to search for what to do and then I found this. It's really sad to see something like this.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My momma cat is giving birth right now to her kittens. The same thing is happening to her first born. All its intestines are out. I tried to search for what to do and then I found this. It's really sad to see something like this.
You need to get the kitten to a vet right away. He will likely need to be put to sleep, but the vet can make sure he does not suffer. I’m sorry.

Kittencutness

Kitten-cuteness
Kitten
Purraise
My queens first born just had the same thing happen. I’ve Never heard tell of this before so I searched it up and found this thread. Now I know it’s a defect or from her pulling hard on the cord. She only pushed him half out and kept standing and turning and pulling on the cord so I think she done this herself. I immediately removed the kitten, wrapped him in a clean blanket and got as far as my front door to get him to the vet & he passed away. I’m very reluctant to ever let another cat cut cords anymore after this. Very stressful!

yurahae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know this thread is super old but I’m commenting this since this happened to me this morning. After my mama cat gave birth to the first kitten, it came with the placenta and stuff. Didn’t really think much of it bc there was a lot of flesh, I thought it was bc of the placenta and it’s normal? But after she cleaned it, I was wondering why the umbilical cord looks weirdly long (?) I didn’t know what to do so I posted a pic of it on reddit r/cats. A lot of ppl responded instantly that it was kitten intestines and I need to go to the vet asap. Didn’t have much funds on me since I live in Southeast Asia, and I doubt our equipments or surgery would be that successful. And even if it did, the kitten might grow up with complications. I started getting hate comments on my reddit post bc I didn’t know what to do which caused me to panic so I just took it down. My brother found this thread and I think it lessened the pain for me when I read other ppl’s comments that experienced the same thing, that it’s just best to end the poor kitty’s suffering. The thought is cold but it makes sense, I don’t want it to survive knowing it would not live a normal life. I think that’s more painful to watch overtime. I just tell myself whenever I feel sad, that at least the kitty is already in heaven running free. There was nothing I could do. I try not to blame myself too much even though it felt so heavy when this happened.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
...d I need to go to the vet asap. Didn’t have much funds on me since I live in Southeast Asia, and I doubt our equipments or surgery would be that successful. And even if it did, the kitten might grow up with complications. I started getting hate comments on my reddit post bc I didn’t know what to do which caused me to panic so I just took it down....
You did the right thing... Gave the kitten mercy. And the vet, unless an excellent vet surgeon, would too just put it down, and probably take payment for it too... As said earlier in the thread: IF the vet would try an operation, its risky anyway, and risk for later problems is big... AND it would cost lotsa...

We do usually recommend people to let a vet pts; as a vet can do it in a humane painless way, and vets are used with it...

But an important aspect is, most people arent comfortable with doing themselves the ending... And most dont know HOW to do it in a quick, painless way... So, by several different reasons, letting a vet do it is the usual and the best way...

But if you KNOW how to do it, and are OK with doing it; or say, have a neigbour whom is a hunter; and by any reason, cant get help from a vet;
sure, its a big gentleness... Also, such a weak and more or less already dying kitten is easier to put down than say, a healthy kitten...

Its not pleasant to think nor write about it; but sometimes we are there in the moment of thruth, and we must copy with this. As all these in this thread...
You had met this moment, and managed to solve this quest..

Well done, MadameSir!

yurahae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2
StefanZ StefanZ

Thank you so much for the heartwarming replies. It did lessen the guilt I felt for not trying to save the little one. I keep telling myself there was nothing I could have done.

The kitty eventually died a few hours after birth, and I was there the entire time when it was still alive. It was really heartbreaking to watch the momma cat hugging the little kitty, it almost felt like she was aware it was dying. The kitty got to spend its last few hours of its life beside the momma cat.

(Sorry I keep saying “it”, I did not check the kitty’s gender bc it was too painful for me by just trying to hold it :<)

I was ugly crying when I buried the little one in our front yard and I gave it a little flower. These are really tough moments we sometimes have to go through. No one wanted this to happen.

Thank you for this thread, for making me feel that I’m not alone during these times. I do not hope this to happen to anyone, but when it does and they read this thread, I hope that it will help them the way that it helped me.

The kitty may have crossed the rainbow bridge too early, but at least the suffering is over. I’d like to think that they are now happier up there.