Newborn premie kitten question

Status
Not open for further replies.

catessa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a litter of kittens that were born surgically. They are a day old. Four were normal sized and two were almost half the size of the others.

An inexperienced tech helped revive the kittens as they were removed and I believe she accidently killed one of the little ones by being too rough.

The other little one has been going okay. It was first to latch on but it got chilled and was turning blue unless they shook it.

When we got home I get the room really warm and it stopped turning blue. I She is really thin and can't fight with the other kittens to nurse so I have been helping a little with kitten milk. I helped her pee and poo and it was normal.

I was just at the Vet with my other rescue and when I got home I fed and wiped the little kitten and it peed what looks like blood. It abdomin looks brused.
It is possible the mom stepped on it as it is not a strong mover at all.

I already spent well over a thousand dollars on just the birth and then having just been there do I need to call the Vet or is this something that happens and will heal and are okay. (Like a brused kidney) I'm not even sure if this kitten will live the weekend but I am trying to do everything I can to support it until it can manage on its own in the litter.

Could I have some experienced opinions please.
Anyone without experience, Please don't auto post that I need to see the vet.
I am really looking for some experienced opinions.

Thank you

jesb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have successfully raised a few litters of kittens ... and that is definitely not normal.

I would suggest the vet again, but I would also suggest to prepare yourself for the worst. Loosing baby kitties is always very hard. However, there may be some birth defect that you don't know about and the kitten wouldn't have survived had it not been born in the vets office.

If the mom is ignoring that one kitten, thats kind of natures way of saying that the momma thinks something is wrong with that kitten. She's got great senses. I'm not saying give up, it may be something simply, but it also might not be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catessa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mom is not ignoring the kittens.

She was drugged up when she got home so I have been helping them as she comes around to normal. Mom still hasn't eaten. She drank a little water but I know her throat is sore because she has no voice when she tried to talk to me. I got mom to lick a couple eye droppers of Kitten milk from me. I think mom will come around to normal.

I have emailed my Vet but I wanted to know if anyone else has experience with a premie kitten and or blood in the urine of a newborn.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm sorry to report that the kitten has died and am now closing this thread. Catessa, when you are ready, please feel free to post in the Crossing the Bridge forum about this little one.

Status
Not open for further replies.