Newborn not latching on

alannamcgregor27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey came home to my cat and 5 new born kittens, about 5mins later she gave birth to her 6th one. It was born at 10:12pm 1 hour 46mins ago (Scottish time) and hasn’t latched on yet, I’ve tried give it time and even tried guiding it and holding it at a nipple and it’s just not for latching on. I’m really worried, is this normal? All other kittens are feeding well but this one, it’s trying really hard to find one and keeps missing them, it’s crying and really fighting its way thro them all to get one. How long can it go without feeding? Does it take time sometimes or is this not normal? Where I stay there’s no places I could go buy stuff to bottle or syringe feed it and no vets or rescues open that would help until the morning but even then it will be hard as it’s a Sunday but pet shop will be open. How long can I wait? I’m so worried I can rest or go to sleep without seeing it feed or knowing it’s going to be okay. I don’t know what to do, mum is such a good cat and mum but she must be exhausted. Please help, any advice would be massively appreciated.
Don’t know if this is important but.. when baby was born It was struggling to get up the fluids in its mouth and nose and mum wasn’t paying much attention but I managed to get her to pay attention and to deal with placenta and cord. Then she kinda just left him to it so I got a towel and moved him to her belly then she started licking him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alannamcgregor27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Decided to go away for an hour and give them all peace them to come check again. The hour alarm I set has went off so I’m gonna go check and see if it’s latched and feeding…
No it’s not attached. It’s sucking the arm of another kitten so he’s able to but just not found a nipple. Really don’t know what to do

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please put the kitten to a nipple and help hold it there to see if it latches and suckles. Continue to hold it there if it is suckling until it has had its fill. Let’s hope this works.

If not, please use a dropper or syringe to give the kitten honey or sugar water in the side of its mouth for quick energy, one drop at a time. Let it swallow and breathe before giving more. Then after a few drops see if kitten will latch.

Get supplies tomorrow — formula, etc. just in case, and let us know tonight if kitten finally latches. It must have sustenance.

A alannamcgregor27

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alannamcgregor27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please put the kitten to a nipple and help hold it there to see if it latches and suckles. Continue to hold it there if it is suckling until it has had its fill. Let’s hope this works.

If not, please use a dropper or syringe to give the kitten honey or sugar water in the side of its mouth for quick energy, one drop at a time. Let it swallow and breathe before giving more. Then after a few drops see if kitten will latch.

Get supplies tomorrow — formula, etc. just in case, and let us know tonight if kitten finally latches. It must have sustenance.

A alannamcgregor27
I’ve got it to latch on, it’s on a top row nipple so I’m holding him up, he’s sucking well. Making little noises but I’ve checked his nose and milk isn’t coming out of it or that, think he’s just adjusting with it being his first ever feed. I’ll see how long he’s on for and if he comes off I’d he’s able to get back on himself. And keep an eye on him in general. I will get supplies tomorrow just incase. Thank you for your advice. I just really panicked and didn’t want to just sit doing nothing to help. Hopefully that’s him okay feeding now but I will keep an eye. I will get formula, droplets, syringes and whatever else he might ended up needing tomorrow. Is there anything else you suggest getting just incase? I don’t care wasting money on stuff we might not use, just want to be prepared for everything and give him the best chance possible. Thank you

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank goodness!

I suggest a digital scale that weighs in grams so that you can record all the kittens’ weights daily for a few weeks, especially this little one. You need to see that they gain 6-10 grams (or more) each 24 hours.

Do check on this one overnight if you can and keep us posted, but sounds like he needed the boost and is on his way now.

A alannamcgregor27

P.S. Mom is gorgeous!

Last edited: