Newborn Kittens Going To The Bathroom

CassieFrassie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently had a pregnant cat show up on my front porch about a month ago. On monday(a week ago) she gave birth to 5 beautiful kittens. She’s been a wonderful momma. I weigh the kittens everyday on my kitchen scale and they always weigh at least 10g+. My question is..when I change their bedding I never notice any bowel movements. I notice momma is grooming the kittens and it’s been a week and they’re thriving so I imagine they’re going to the bathroom. Do you think she’s eating it? Where is it

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The Mom is stimulating them to potty and cleaning up the mess. Once they are about 4 weeks old they will start copying her and using a litter box too.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for taking them in!

Are you able to keep Mom 100% inside until the kittens have weaned and she can be spayed?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, momma eats the leftovers. so many breeders and rescuers of mommas never notice anything. Seeing the poo and pee do almost only the caretakers of orphans. :)

She will end up with this when they begin to eat another food, and their poo changes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CassieFrassie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for taking them in!

Are you able to keep Mom 100% inside until the kittens have weaned and she can be spayed?
Absolutely! She has her own bedroom and zero desire to go outside. We have 3 other strictly indoor kitties. She’s become a part of our family for sure and we plan on keeping her .

Thanks everyone! I’ve been a lurker of this forum when momma first showed up. Wonderful information.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You’ll start seeing the pee and poo at around 3-4 weeks when they start going on their own. At that point you should put down a shallow litter box with non-clumping litter in it. I use Yesterday’s News cat litter.

Clumping litter isn’t safe because the kittens could eat it and it will get stuck in their digestive systems.

CassieFrassie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kittens get weighed everyday. 2 of the kittens hardly gained any weight in 24 hours. Kitten 1 only gained 1g and kitten 2 only gained 4g. The other 3 gained between 8-11g in the 24 hour period. Kitten 1 did gain 18g the day before and also 18g the day before that. Kitten 2 had gained 17g the day before and 14g the day before that. So they each had some large weight gains the 2 previous weigh-ins. Should I be concerned?

Thanks guys.

CassieFrassie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh I do want to mention, they have been nursing since I’ve just weighed them and haven’t been crying out like they’re starving.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
One off day is okay if they return to gaining well the next day. If they do not, you’ll need to supplement the low gainers.