Newborn Kitten Seems To Be Self Isolating

Nkemp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had 6 kittens, she is taking care of them and all are doing well and today are 2 days old. I'm concerned for the littlest out of the brood. The kitten doesn't seem to interested in feeding but will for short periods. The kitten also is very active constantly meowing and does not seem interested in sleeping in the kitten bundle. It immediately moves away from the mother and other kittens when it finishes eating. I have observed it sleeping by itself numerous times. The mother is attentative to it cleans it, hasn't shunned it. They are kept in a large plastic container with walls that are about foot and a half tall. This morning they were all eating this kitten quit first moved away from mother and siblings to the container wall and clawed at the wall as if trying to get out and further away, and while doing this meowed continuously. I picked the little one up and put him by the mom's kneck. The mom licked the kitten she seems attached to it but this seemed to increase the kittens meowing and it moved away from the mother and siblings again, continuously meowing until I think it exhausted it self and fell asleep alone. Ive fostered many mommas and there kittens, and bottle fed a couple litters that were orphaned and have never encountered this. Has anyone else seen a newborn kitten seem to purposely isolate itself. I'm wondering if he is sick or it's just an odd character trait in some kittens and he is fine.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you checking weights on these babies daily? This will give you an idea if it is getting enough milk. I would also try to look in its mouth to see if it has a clef palate or abnormality that is affecting its ability to drink. You can also try supplementing mom with a bottle of kitten milk.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nkemp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I usually don't handle kittens in their first week of life if the mother is caring for them. This kitten though I have handled moving back to the mom or placing it in the kitten bundle. So I don't think weighing it is going to disrupt it anymore then it has so I will start that. He looks healthy doesn't look like he is thinning and his energy level is above normal, he is constantly moving, and he is clean, but it will be a good safety net to weigh him to assure he is gaining instead of just maintaining. This morning I considered the cleft pallet possibility too so I did look into his mouth closely and what I noticed was not a cleft but his lower jaw seems to be narrower in the middle, creating smooth inward curvatures that are symetrical on both sides, the lower jaw rests slightly ahead of the upper jaw it almost seems like the kitten has an overbite. I bet your onto something here though. Considering that I wonder if this is causing pain to occur after awhile of suckling and that's why he is moving away from contact. He's uncomfortable and some animals and well humans too will seek comfort from others when uncomfortable and cope by contact then others personality find more comfort in suffering alone, and removing them selves from stimulation. I am going to get supplement for him start feeding him with an medicine dropper try to decrease the amount he suckers see what happens.

Nkemp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
20180726_105445.jpg
20180726_105359.jpg
20180726_105248.jpg

I usually don't handle kittens in their first week of life if the mother is caring for them. This kitten though I have handled moving back to the mom or placing it in the kitten bundle. So I don't think weighing it is going to disrupt it anymore then it has so I will start that. He looks healthy doesn't look like he is thinning and his energy level is above normal, he is constantly moving, and he is clean, but it will be a good safety net to weigh him to assure he is gaining instead of just maintaining. This morning I considered the cleft pallet possibility too so I did look into his mouth closely and what I noticed was not a cleft but his lower jaw seems to be narrower in the middle, creating smooth inward curvatures that are symetrical on both sides, the lower jaw rests slightly ahead of the upper jaw it almost seems like the kitten has an overbite. I bet your onto something here though. Considering that I wonder if this is causing pain to occur after awhile of suckling and that's why he is moving away from contact. He's uncomfortable and some animals and well humans too will seek comfort from others when uncomfortable and cope by contact then others personality find more comfort in suffering alone, and removing them selves from stimulation. I am going to get supplement for him start feeding him with an medicine dropper try to decrease the amount he suckers see what happens.

Nkemp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
See there he is looks comfortable, but all alone.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My suspicion is siblings are pushing him. So he prefers to crawl away instead of taking abuse.
Try perhaps to rotate.

Weighting and supplementing are wise too. Esp if he by any reason is a weak suckler.

What kmr are you using?
Can you get raw goats milk?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, it is unusual for a baby not to sleep in the pile of babies. I would keep a close eye on that baby's weight and try to supplement it.
By the way, based on the color of the kitten it is most likely a female.