Newborn kitten not feeding

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I weighed the three kits today (day 3) and they have all gained about 15 grammes from yesterday.  Even allowing for toileting and taking into account responses from experienced owners, I think they are doing fine.  Mum is out of her box for longer periods now and has started to feed better after the v&d episode on day 1!

Thank you to those who responded; I am sure I will be asking questions as they develop. 

I will put up some pictures soon. 
15 gram plus!  Splendid!

You can if you want start your own tread, as it is now it is intermingled.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moffatcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Stefan..If mini moff was 103 grams at birth two days ago..and today she weighs 117 grams..is that ok??

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I think it is OK. Not grandiose, but entirely OK. Especielly as you had problems there.

It is possible mini moff still has problems, dangers are not over, and you must continue to watch out, but so far, so good, lets proceed. So to speek. And hope for the best.

Good luck!

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Figaro, you can give this goat milk to mom too. Very nourishing. Normally if the litter not too big, and momma gets good quality food, no extra calcium and such is necessary. But with momma weakishly it  cant hurt with the mild goat milk, it may even be wise to give her a little extra.

If you dont have problems with salomonella in eggs in your place, a raw egg yolk stirred into this goat milk is a real kick up booster!  Excellent for mommas and for recovalescents.

Sorry I didnt wrote this earlier.   :(

Good luck!

figaro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you StefanZ - we have our own chickens so I will definately add one of the bantam eggs to the goats milk thank you.

moffatcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Stefan I noticed some wierd behavior. I came home to find one kitten far from the nest and on the floor crying. Moffat was only just looking at him and nudging him. Moffat has never carried her kittens anywhere. How can I teach her??

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This can happen when the mother cat thinks something is wrong with the kitten.  Keep putting it back with her, keep weighing it, and if it's not gaining supplement it - but you MUST keep it warm.  A cold kitten can't digest the milk and it stagnates in their digestive system.  You also have to toilet it before and after feeding, and feed it every couple of hours or so.

Is this the same kitten you were initially worried about? 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This can happen when the mother cat thinks something is wrong with the kitten.  Keep putting it back with her, keep weighing it, and if it's not gaining supplement it - but you MUST keep it warm.  A cold kitten can't digest the milk and it stagnates in their digestive system.  You also have to toilet it before and after feeding, and feed it every couple of hours or so.

Is this the same kitten you were initially worried about? 
I second this!  With a little luck the mom will take the kitten back, or it was some sort of misunderstanding. But you must follow up closely, and if necessary, help the kitten manually.

A cold or dehydrated kitten will quickly lose forces.  You can also massage a little if need be.

Mom doesnt mind  smell because of some help from her caretaker and protector, so you dont need to worry your help will risk her not wanting him back.

Good luck!

Good luck!

moffatcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sometimes she leaves the nest and accidentally carries kittens still attached to nipples. I think this hypotheses for why the kitten was out is the best one. I put the kitten with the mother immediately and she went to go sit on it. No it is not the kitten that had trouble feeding its a different one.

robert notter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of our kittens would not take mama's nipple, so I went and got a feeding bottle and milk replacement (from Wal-Mart because it was the middle of the night). Our mama cat is very trusting, so there was no problem taking the kitten in hand. I had to put the nipple from the bottle into the kitten's mouth and gently squeeze to get her to swallow some. Once she got a taste of food and swallowed a couple times, she took her mama's nipple and all was well. One result of this event is that mama now meows to demand I replace one or more straying kitten to its feeding place! Haha she has become spoiled! Best wishes to all!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of our kittens would not take mama's nipple, so I went and got a feeding bottle and milk replacement (from Wal-Mart because it was the middle of the night). Our mama cat is very trusting, so there was no problem taking the kitten in hand. I had to put the nipple from the bottle into the kitten's mouth and gently squeeze to get her to swallow some. Once she got a taste of food and swallowed a couple times, she took her mama's nipple and all was well. One result of this event is that mama now meows to demand I replace one or more straying kitten to its feeding place! Haha she has become spoiled! Best wishes to all!
It's great that you are able to coparent! How many kittens are there?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What a nice story! You did exactly the right thing! How old are the kittens?

robert notter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
​Yes it is! There are 5 kittens, they will be a week old this Monday, growing so much already!