Newborn Kitten Nose Changing Color

allielavonne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Fostering a mama cat and her kits. Everyone is doing great, litter of 5 and 5 days old but there is one all white and pink kitten and I noticed today their nose is turning a dark color. Is this normal? Should I be worried? Kitten has been gaining weight and acting fine... am I being paranoid?!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Congratulations! You probably have a pointed kitten in the litter. Pointed kittens are born pure white because their fur is heat sensitive and mom is toasty warm. Over time they start to gain color starting usually with the tips of their ears and nose. If you'd like to share a photo we can confirm but pointed is the most likely cause so I go that way.

Here is a video of my pointed boy as a kitten, I got him at 5 weeks but he was born white...
View media item 420975
And a photo of him now....
IMG_20190504_165015.jpg

Same cat, just got darker as he got older. The exact color will vary and pointed cats can be every color cats are. Most likely, the other kittens are the same pattern and general color just not muted by a recessive genetic trait.

I am not aware of any medical conditions that could cause nose darkening. Maybe a cold and build up on nose? If there are other symptoms of a problem do share but I go the most likely route given age and the description.

Edit: I was told my boy was 8 weeks and his birth home couldn't keep him a day longer. When I got him I realized he was younger but going back wasn't an option. It was exhausting keeping up with him, this clip was his on mode and off was sleeping no in between, and he is a stubborn child but we managed. He's a well adjusted and good boy now.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, it sounds like you have a colorpointed kitten! This is a very neat trait. Colorpointed cats are partially albino, they are born white, but then begin to get coloring on the cooler parts of their bodies, namely, their face, ears, tail, legs, and, sometimes, paws. So, your kitten’s fur will continue to change over the next days, weeks, and months.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allielavonne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
3DC4E3A7-A247-40F4-99E5-5649A0E04633.jpeg
1CF6D7E1-A69A-435E-A5BC-2C1187998063.jpeg
Ok I feel better I do see the fur getting darker on the ears and above the eyes too. Lol thank you!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cutie!

Based on mom and what I can see with the other kittens probably going to be a lynx seal point likely with some white..... Maybe. Since Dad is an unknown it's just a really wild guess but with all the dark and stripes I would put money on it (well not a lot but some).

Color point kittens really are interesting to see develop. Take lots of pictures because everyday they can be slightly different.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allielavonne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok so kittens are growing well but I may have a problem. I have a follow up question on one of the kittens. Everyone has opened their eyes but one of the Calicos has only one open. Everything I’ve looked up talks about discharge or pus around one closed eye but I don’t see any of that. It looks completely normal except it’s definitely shut. Should I be putting a compress on it or go straight to the vet? Wait a couple days and see?

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Put on a warm compress and wait two days yes.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It will probably open after you apply a warm, damp compress a few times, as Stefan said. If not, see the vet.