Newborn and cats

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all! We have two cats and our new baby is 8 days old; so we have been spending a lot of time in the bedroom and I just feel extremely bad for them that I can't spend as much time with them as I would like.

Anyone have any words of advice?

My routine is all over the place

Attachments

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
While you should supervise until you know how they react, whenever you can let them in the room with you and the baby so that they can check out the smells and sight of this new creature. And try to keep a bit of the cats routine sort of the same, for meal times, play times and some cuddle times, even if it means that your husband or you need a baby break to have some cat time.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all! We have two cats and our new baby is 8 days old; so we have been spending a lot of time in the bedroom and I just feel extremely bad for them that I can't spend as much time with them as I would like.

Anyone have any words of advice?

My routine is all over the place
Whenever my cats hear kittens meowing on my tablet they rub against it and try to get inside. I doubt they will hurt a baby. But closely observe

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Set aside at least 2 times a day to play with and just be with your cats. I get it's hard, the first year of parenting is exhausting. Your partner can't breastfeed the baby, but they can hold a fussy baby or change diapers. They can also feed and play with the cats. I'd let the cats in while you're awake so all of you can have family time.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agreed with letting cats explore baby if they want. Mine were interested a bit right when I brought my daughter home, then one avoided me for weeks it felt like, and the other one wanted to snuggle while I was holding her. As long as someone is there to supervise, it's okay for them to be together. Or to give space if needed. It depends on the cat.

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on the birth of your baby. Lovely news.

My son was born at home (planned). About half an hour before he made his grand entrance the Midwife said to me that our cat had come into the bedroom and started to chase her out. I stopped her and said the cat is family too. Smokey sat under the bed. My son was born safely. When the Midwife, her trainee and our doctor who pushed the Midwife out of the way and delivered my son left, Smokey came up and sniffed my son all over. She never went into his cot but would curl up close by, keeping an eye on him.

36 years later my son is an ardent cat lover. He seems to have a way with him that even shy cats will come to him.

Just let your cat know who the new addition is and simply keep an eye on things - which we do naturally with babies and young children anyway. I bet your baby and your cat become best friends.