allie g

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hiya,

I have adopted two cats from a cat shelter and i collected them on Friday.

Susie who is a female and maybe as old as 12 and Bandit a male who may be as old a 16.

Both kitty are settling in well here and each seem to have their own spots to sleep in.

I have a bit of a concern about their claws, they seem excessivly long to the point where im worried they may be uncomfortable crossing the wooden flooring in my house. To give you and example when susie walks over onto my lap her claws actually pierce thru my demins.

Would a scratching post be the answer or should i ask my vet to trim them when they get their 2nd innoculations on 22nd?

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome...
As far as the claws, I would do both things, the post, and have the vet look to see if they need trimmed on your next visit..

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Allie G

Hiya,

I have adopted two cats from a cat shelter and i collected them on Friday.

Susie who is a female and maybe as old as 12 and Bandit a male who may be as old a 16.

Both kitty are settling in well here and each seem to have their own spots to sleep in.

I have a bit of a concern about their claws, they seem excessivly long to the point where im worried they may be uncomfortable crossing the wooden flooring in my house. To give you and example when susie walks over onto my lap her claws actually pierce thru my demins.

Would a scratching post be the answer or should i ask my vet to trim them when they get their 2nd innoculations on 22nd?
WOW...can we clone you!!! Seriously...how wonderful of you to adopt older cats. They are the ones that sometimes don't find an adoptor..so THANK YOU.

As far the nails go...you should do both....they definately need their nails trimmed and you should have a few scratches posts for them to use.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allie g

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
they had both been in the shelter for around 8 weeks since their owner had died.

Personally i love cats its just a shame i couldnt take them all home.

I really think i may have to visit the vet soon and get some nail clipping done. When the cats a relaxing you can see around half an inch of claw.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!

There need to be more people like you out there that are willing to adopt older cats!

Thanks for joining us here

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS
That is so wonderful of you to adopt two older cats, bless you! I would love to see pictures of your sweet babies.

emmysamson

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!!! And I agree, bless you for adopting older cats.

crazybash

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
if you r planning on keeping them indoor cats get them declawed...I think that is best

and thankyou for taken them in a homeless shelter is not a good home for a pet

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CrAzYbAsH

if you r planning on keeping them indoor cats get them declawed...I think that is best

and thankyou for taken them in a homeless shelter is not a good home for a pet
NO NO NO don't get your cats declawed!

You can trim them yourself it is very easy.

Welcome to TCS!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allie g

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for welcoming me.

I used to clip my previous cats claws myself and they were fine but these two are still settling in so i think i will get the vet to do it the first time, they seem un used to being handled and i dont want to scare them.

As for the cats being house cats, that is still undecided at the moment but so far they are showing no intrest in going outside. I will not be declawing them tho, I really dont think it is needed even if the cat is permanently indoors.