Newbie...

aloha420wsm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

My name's Windy, i'm 20. I have a husband named Shawn, we have two bunny babies named Pepper and Gaelyn, and we just added a new member, a little kitten... so far named 'kitty'. A friend from a rabbit forum told me that y'all are nice over here sooo... here i am.

A little background... I've had cats all my life, but i don't think we ever properly cared for them (funny, since my mom was going to be a vet...
), and after having my bunnies, and learning how to care for them properly, i figure the kitty deserves the same treatment. So if i ask stupid, basic, assanine questions (i'll try not to, but no guarantees), bear with me, k?

We got our kitty from my friend, her cat had a litter (
), and they were going to give them away. They really wanted one to go with us because they know how much i love and spoil my animals, and Shawn and i had been considering a kitten (need something to play with, the buns just look at us stupid, lol). Well... you can see what happened there...

The kitty's pretty nice... playful, she likes to sleep in our laps, or at least near us (score!!
), and shes well behaved when shes not hyper. Unfourtunately the buns don't like her much yet so she has to sleep in a cage for now (bunnies are free roam, and it was their house first). As soon as i can be confident that their not going to attack her and she wont swat them or try to 'play' with them she can be cage free too... oh yeah, and after i kitten proof. Alrighty... I'll post some pics of her now...

This is kitty with her siblings:

Like i said, her name is kitty for now, if you have any name suggestions let me know, i'll put them on my list and see what fits her best. Thanks!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome....has your friend gotten her cat fixed yet? If not, there is a list of low cost spay/neuter clinics in California:

http://www.lovethatcat.com/stca.html

She should have her cat spayed soon so that she won't have another litter of kittens. Also, she needs to keep the cat indoors until it gets spayed.

Also..your kitten is probably trying to play with the bunnies the way she would play with her siblings. Is there any reason why you didn't take 2? Kittens really do well with a sibling.

Katie

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Windy! Welcome to TCS! The people on the other board were right about this site. Everyone here is so nice! You don't have to be afraid to ask questions. You'll get lots of help here.

Kitty is a little cutie pie. The only names I can think of are cutie pie, precious, and babykitty.

laurelism

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! Thanks for the intro on you and your kitty
Hope you can have a lot of fun on the site, everyone here is really friendly. As for names, there are lots of sites on the net that have thousands of kitty names available, I'm sure there will be one that fits 'kitty'

Hope to see some more of your posts soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aloha420wsm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

Welcome....has your friend gotten her cat fixed yet? If not, there is a list of low cost spay/neuter clinics in California:

http://www.lovethatcat.com/stca.html

She should have her cat spayed soon so that she won't have another litter of kittens. Also, she needs to keep the cat indoors until it gets spayed.

Also..your kitten is probably trying to play with the bunnies the way she would play with her siblings. Is there any reason why you didn't take 2? Kittens really do well with a sibling.

Katie
My friend says that they're going to have her spayed, but i'm not holding my breath (her mom's one of those "noone can tell me how to live" type people... i hate it, but if i want to keep my friend this time around, i have to deal with her
). Our nearest low cost shelter has about a 6 month waiting list (i need to get ahold of them and get kitty on the list).

We didn't get two because we aren't actually supposed to have pets here (hence the rabbits... quiet.), we decided on the kitty on a whim, and so it would hopefully motivate the bunnies to be more social... so far they've been out and about looking for her, when they find her, they take off running, soo funny.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by aloha420wsm

My friend says that they're going to have her spayed, but i'm not holding my breath (her mom's one of those "noone can tell me how to live" type people... i hate it, but if i want to keep my friend this time around, i have to deal with her
). Our nearest low cost shelter has about a 6 month waiting list (i need to get ahold of them and get kitty on the list).

We didn't get two because we aren't actually supposed to have pets here (hence the rabbits... quiet.), we decided on the kitty on a whim, and so it would hopefully motivate the bunnies to be more social... so far they've been out and about looking for her, when they find her, they take off running, soo funny.
Understand...I had a friend along those lines...she ended up with 6 litters of kittens (I have 2 from the 5th litter). The problem is....it isn't just her life...it is the life of the cat and the kittens. I didn't know about the overpopulation back when my friend's cat had her kittens. Now that I know...I would have done everything in my power (nicely) to convince her to have her cat spayed. So definately try to get her cat on their list. Also, she really needs to keep the cat indoors....otherwise...she'll end up pregnant again.

The only reason I suggested 2 is that cats and bunnies don't normally play in the same way....kittens play fight....they chase each other..the romp all over. I don't know if she will "learn" to not try to play with your bunnies in the same manner she would another kitten.

Katie

babybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Welcome! Nice to meet you guys
I hope you like it here as much as I do, lots of great knowledgeable poeple here. I wish I could give you some advice regarding the bunnies and the kitty, but I never had bunnies or tried to get my cat to play with other species so I would be absolutely no help. I am sure someone will give you good advice

dmcwlvssr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
welcome to you and congrats on the new addition. I am donna proudly owned by the incredible trio

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aloha420wsm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the welcome
, We have a name for kitty now, it's 'Bella'.

... and i just started a new job yesterday so i dunno how much i'll be able to get over here for awhile.

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome!!!!

Your kitty is so cute!!!