Newbie with a rescue cat & I have some questions

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone

I just adopted a cat yesterday, who I named Magnus. I am told he's a Maine Coon mix. He's six months old, weighs 6 lbs, 12 oz and has yellow eyes and a black smoke color coat (the smoke color is more apparent on his ruff and under his belly, though you can't see this color all that well from the photos I have of him so far).

The rescue group I got him from said that his mother had had a litter back in June near a condo complex and one of the residents had been feeding the kittens. The rescue group took them in and had them fixed and vaccinated etc. They had to let the mom go back outside as she was too  used to being outdoors but they thought Magnus would be suitable for an adoption as he had a good personality. He was with the rescuer for nine days before I adopted him, and she had been socializing him by keeping him int he bathroom and playing wtih him and getting him acclimated to people. She said he was very friendly once he got to know you and was very sweet. 

Anyway, I went and adopted him and during the car ride home, although he was not overly affectionate, he was a champ in the carrier. He didn't cry or anything and he did let me pet him while he was in the carrier and didn't try to bite / hiss or scratch but was just calmly watching everything going on. We brought him home and put him in the bathroom along with his food / water bowls, toys, bed, scratching post etc, as we has been advised to give him a quiet spot to acclimate first.

He stayed in the carrier for probably an hour or so. I hung out in the bathroom on and off talking to him but didn't try bother him (i.e. picking him up or trying to drag him out of the carrier) to just to get him used to me.

Anyway, he eventually came out and was lying on the little bed thingee that I had for him and was investigating his toys. I lay down on the ground next to him and brought out the hairbrush that the rescuer game me that she said he really liked. Anyway, he LOVED it and after that we were pals. He was purring and was letting me rub his belly. 

I told my husband to do the same thing. He let him brush him but was a little more reserved, but not hiding or anything. He started to relax a little. (However, I should mention whenever my husband or I would stand up, or first enter the bathroom, he would get nervous. But he was OK with us if we were down by his level)

The rescuer also said he ate only Fancy Feast in the cans. I had bought some quality, high protein cat food that is supposed to be better for them but as of yet he wouldn't eat that so I gave him the Fancy Feast. Maybe if I try mixing in the fancy feast to the new food he'll eat that? I'd prefer him to eat something that didn't have a lot of fillers in it but I also want him to eat and not starve if he's picky :)

Also, after we went to bed last night he kept crying by himself in the bathroom. I Kept going in to him to play with him and then he’ d be fine and playing with his toys and his scratching post and purring but as soon as I left he started crying again. I thought he might be lonely. Finally around 3:30 AM or so, I decided to open the connecting door to the bathroom that goes into the bedroom. I closed all the other doors in the bedroom and he came in and was checking out the bedroom. He cried for a little bit but I picked him up and was petting him and he was OK while I was doing that. Eventually he found a “safe spot” in the bedroom (in one of the closets, by my husband's shoes) that he seems to like and he’s been hanging out there for the time being (but the bathroom door is still open so he goes in there to use the litter box or get his food).

So we’re letting him do that for the time being and keeping all the other bedroom doors closed so he just has the run of the bathroom and the bedroom. The bedroom only has two places he can hide (under the bed or in a closet) so I think he’s OK. We’ve been petting him and he’s been purring. I figure once he starts exploring more and is more confident we’ll gradually let him into the rest of the apartment. I also put his carrier in the bedroom in case he wants to go in there at all. And I put my pajama top in his “safe spot” (which he's lying on) so he’s get used to my smell.

so he's super friendly and plays with us from the safety of the closet,. but as of yet he still wants to hang out there and not out of the closet. So my question, after his LONG-WINDED set up is do I just leave him be and let him come ouf of the closet himself when he's comfortable? he's only been with us for about 24 hours so I realize we just have to have some patience with him.

I've included some photos of him below. They are not the best photos, just what I happened to snap last night with a flash, plus a couple of photos the rescuer sent.

Thanks in advance for reading my super long post. Sorry!

These are photos sent to me by the rescuer

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oops I realized after all that I never introduced myself. My name is Lynnette and I'm from Pennsylvania. I have had other cats before. I recently had to put down my Harley, my best friend for the past 15 years and I was just heartsick over it ( he had what we think was cancer and got very ill very fast). This was two weeks ago. Harley was also a rescue cat that I got when he was five months old. he was a big buff/orange and white tabby. 

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Magnus is gorgeous! It sounds as if you are doing a great job with him. If I were in your shoes, I'd let him hang out in the closet (as long as your husband doesn't mind sharing) and acclimate to his new home at his own pace. As you say, he's only had 24 hours, and it can take a while for cats to adjust to a new territory.

On another note, I'm sorry to hear about your Harley; it must have been really hard to lose him.

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for replying Motoko - 

I was not expecting to adopt so soon after Harley passed, but the opportunity presented itself and I kind of feel like it was meant to be. 

hopefully everything will work itself out..... thanks for taking the time to comment.

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I took a short video clip of Magnus earlier today. He is starting to take forays out from his hiding spot to play with us.

And here are some new photos

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, he's going to come around just fine. You are doing a fine job in allowing him to take his time. You are already comfortable in your home, he deserves the chance to do so as well.

He's a beautiful boy, thank you for bringing him home. I'm sorry about the loss of your Harley....it is really difficult to lose them but the joy they bring us throughout their life is immeasurable.

Good luck to your new addition!

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks RAFM.

Also I got him to start eating Blue Buffalo wet (kitten food formula). I saw some of the dry food stories on here that scared me so I removed his dry kibble and will try and just do wet mostly.

I had no idea about some of this stuff (cancer risks from dry food? Now I feel guilty that I may have unwittingly given my last cat Cancer because he pretty much mostly ate dry food as he didn't like wet).

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds to me like you're doing a great job helping Magnus get acclimated to you and  your house.  He may have the occasional setback, but I think you're doing great.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS. Magnus looks gorgeous and it is interesting to see that he already looks very much more relaxed and happy in your house than in the foster home, where he seems to have a still wary look in his eye. I think you are doing exsactly the right things with him and I hope he will reward you with as many happy years as you had with your Harley. Do not feel guilty about his death - we all do the best we can for our kits and nutritionbal advice changes all the time. I doubt very much whether eating a good quality dry food would have contributed to his death. Good luck.

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your comments. I appreciate them. I am determined to start this new relationship off correctly :)

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thanks for your introduction and beautiful photos of Magnus.  [color= rgb(0, 0, 255)]  [/color]

I have already said hello  in another thread but I just wanted to let you know that  if you have any questions about how to use our site, I will be glad to help.  Simply click my username, send your questions,I will get back to you asap.

Last edited:

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Magnus gave me "kisses" twice today (i.e. came up to me and licked my face) and even, of his own accord, snuggled with me a few times, as well as rubbing up against me and giving me head buts before running off to play with a toy so I take that as a positive sign. He still calls under my bed his base camp though. ;) He still runs under there anytime somebody stands up or walks in the room, though he'll often come back out again once you start talking to him.

Last edited:

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Magnus is marking you as his property...

this is a very positive sign. 

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there
we're so happy to get the chance to welcome you and your fur family to TCS. I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay with us - we're one great big family and you'll find loads of friends here. If I can help at all while you're finding your way around TCS just click on my username and send me a Personal Message - I'll do what I can to answer your questions. 

Just look at your beautiful Magnus - he's gorgeous.  It's such a shame when they come to us so worried, but it looks as if he's settling down beautifully.  He clearly went to just the right home to give him the love he needs.

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well, my husband left the bedroom door open this morning (while vacuuming) and now the cat has sneaked out. 

I left out his food and water but i have no idea where he is in the apartment. I assume he'll turn up someplace eventually, but right now he's hiding....

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
nevermind, found 'em.

He was blending in with the shadows in one of the closets

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No, actually he never made it out of the room. When my husband was vacuuming he must have run into the closet (in the bedroom) and he was behind a box in a shadow at the back of the closet, which is why when I looked in there originally I missed him.

he still runs and hides when we first walk in the room some of the time (though the past couple of days I've gotten him to not run a few times by very slowly walking into the room if he's out from under the bed and talking soothingly to him. I also picked him up once and put him on the bed with us and he stayed for maybe a minute and let us pet him before jumping off again to go play with something.

So, he's not quite ready for the rest of the house yet, i think. I guess when he no longer hides under the bed at all (or rarely) is when we leave the door to the bedroom open to see if he wants to explore?

At this point he hangs out under the bed and then comes out to play with us and do some exploring (or to eat or use the bathroom), but it's still his base camp. Tomorrow he'll have been with us for a week. Is that a normal amount of time to acclimate or should I expect him to stay in the bedroom for another week or two?