newbie question

9357m

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm a newbie here and for owning cats. I'll try not to get wordy with history so if you have questions, fire away. I have 2 sisters about 1 yr and 8 mos old. One black, one gray striped tabby. Took them home from our building at 6 wks. I use Dr. Kelseys clumping litter in 3 boxes, one for each floor of the house. They're good about using them - no issue. However, the gray tabby has decided to use any convenient area of the carpet for toilet paper. The first time I saw her "scooting" along there was no mark. Figured she had an itch. Now she leaves stripes. A quick inspection revealed a not-so-clean butt. I say quick because she tired of it in about 2 seconds. Washing didn't appear to be much of an option!
What's up with this? She doesn't have long hair.
Thanks for looking.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is possible that she might have parasitic worms that cause itching and irritation. Has she been to the vet to check a stool sample? I would talk to your vet. Hope your kitties have been spayed too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

9357m

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. Yes they were both spayed at 7 mos. They stay indoors - are parasites an issue for an indoor cat? If so,where do they get them? They are due, late actually, for their next routine visit. Bringing a sample is a good idea.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could also be blocked anal glands or simply her stools are too hard and it hurts her when she passes them. She should go to the vet to determine what's going on. If it's simply that her stools are too hard, increase her wet food intake and try adding a bit of plain canned pumpkin to her diet. Don't get the pumpkin pie filling, just plain canned pumpkin. This will help her pass stools easier. Adding the canned food will help soften the stools.

Parasites are less of a concern for indoor only kitties, but they can still get them because of fleas and insects and things that come in when the doors or windows are open, or when you've been outside and the insects and such tagalong on your shoes and clothing.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS and to life with cats!

As has been said scooting indicates a problem. Could be parasites, could be blocked anal glands, could be constipation.

Best thing to do is get her to the vet, and yes, bring a stool sample with you!

I have one kitty who has trouble with constipation and blocked anal glands (they often come hand in hand) She has to be on an all canned grain free diet, or the trouble comes back,

What do you feed your kitties?

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the cat to fat to clean its butt? The ones I have had do this are the fatter ones. I got 24 cats and they get dewormed often. I try to always leave a scrap carpet in the litterbox area or towels from dollar store.

9357m

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow, lots of feedback. Let me try to answer. Steph - Otto, they eat a grain/gluten free diet. The dry is from Alberta and has egg, chicken, walleye and whitefish as protein sources. The wet is Merricks. Their 3 oz cans come in an 8 flavor variety pack. They get a different flavor each day - one 3 oz can and 1 cup of dry mixed. This is for both of them in 1 bowl. They graze and spend the whole day eating it. There's a reason I'm staying with this diet for now, but it's a long explanation. A diagnosis of an incurable disease that has not showed itself again after this diet was in place for several months. The pumpkin is a good idea - she had it in the past when we were initially having dietary issues.
Catsallaround-size wise she's not skinny but I think she can reach. Her organs appear clean - most appears in the hair around them.
I think we get to the vet first and start ruling out things.
Thank you all very much. I'll keep you posted.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We used to feed Merrick's, but then one of my girls was diagnosed with feline herpes and we decided to go all grain-free to help her. So, I understand the diet issue.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

We used to feed Merrick's, but then one of my girls was diagnosed with feline herpes and we decided to go all grain-free to help her. So, I understand the diet issue.
I've heard that before (probably from you!) Tolly's has feline herpes but does very poorly on a grain free diet. He is doing great on a diet that includes brown rice in the food.

to the OP if I understood correctly you are mixing canned and kibble together and leaving it out all day. This really is not a good idea. While cats do have short enough digestive tracts to handle some bacteria, dry food goes bacteria laden very quickly after being dampened.

In addition the two forms of food digest at different rates in their digestive systems, which might be part of your girl's problem.

You might want to work out a way to feed the different type of foods separately.

But do let us know what the vet says about your girlie.

9357m

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
[

to the OP if I understood correctly you are mixing canned and kibble together and leaving it out all day. This really is not a good idea. While cats do have short enough digestive tracts to handle some bacteria, dry food goes bacteria laden very quickly after being dampened.

In addition the two forms of food digest at different rates in their digestive systems, which might be part of your girl's problem.

You might want to work out a way to feed the different type of foods separately.

But do let us know what the vet says about your girlie.[/quote]

Otto, that is very interesting. The wet was added when she originally was constipated - very constipated. At the same time she was diagnosed with eosinphillic granuloma. The wet/dry diet made a difference as she started to digest properly and grew. She was a bag of bones while she was sickly. She now looks very healthy. But perhaps splitting dry + wet into 2 feedings several hours apart would be better. It's funny. Her sister, the black one, is a goat. She eats the dogs food, has broken her teeth on stuff, been through a tumble in the dryer, been stepped on, falls into the shower and doesn't care...etc. She shows no sign of fear or concern over anything or anybody. Once while the dog was asleep with her nose hanging off the edge of the couch, she walked by, jumped up and was hanging on the dogs nose. The dog is 10x her size. The dog scolds her and she runs away - laughing inside I'm sure. We call her Lucky, LOL. Lucky she's made it this far!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad adding the canned and going grain free has helped your kitty, in all of her special needs.

If you decide to separate her food, and feed canned at one meal and dry at the other, or some sort of schedule that works for you, be sure and let us know if it makes a difference for her.

9357m

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I finally saw her in the box so I got a sample to the vet this morning. No worms. (My schedule, 7:00 - 7:00, does not leave me much time around the house to see whose poo is whose!) His next choice was the glands also. He mentioned a small possibility 5%, of tapeworm. He said I'd see things like little grains of rice around her butt. Fat chance. She's too ladylike. I pick up her tail for a peek and she sits down - LOL. They both have an appointment this Tuesday. We did change their feeding routine. I give them 1 cup dry at 6:00 AM and my wife gives them the 3 oz can at 5:00 PM. Needless to say, the first couple mornings they looked at me like I was from Mars or something. They love my wife, however. On another note, how long will the pumpkin last in the fridge once opened?