Newbie & Moving :-(

JadeRochy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone, I’m at a very exciting point in my life right now, I just bought a house with my boyfriend for the first time! Being 23, I am very excited to start this journey, but instead of celebrating I am sitting here stressed out and crying.

I’ve lived in my current apartment now for over three years, and just noticed how bad the cat population was this past winter, so I decided to build a shelter and put food out and it was instantly a hit. I’ve been feeding an entire colony for a year now, none of them let me get very close to them but we are now at the point that they don’t run when I open my door to feed them. I’ve been working with another neighborhood lady who plans on living here forever who has helped me TNR a few of them. She has also been rescuing them, she has ten of them and is bringing them to a no-kill shelter. My time however, is now limited. I only have about a month left here and I’m not sure what to do. I’m extremely afraid and saddened that they will not survive, or that I have wronged them or betrayed them. :-( We got to one of the kitties too late before she had her kittens, so we also have three tween kitties now roaming the neighborhood. I’ve noticed the new neighbors across the street have started caring and feeding for them, along with the lady I mentioned earlier. I don’t have an option to take them with me, because there is probably between 12-15 of them, and I already have two cats and one of them absolutely HATES other cats that aren’t her brother. As of late, I’ve noticed a few of them are now ear-tipped, which relieves me a little bit to see that perhaps someone else is in on the TNR game here. I guess I am just nervous leaving them because I feel like I am betraying living things that depend on me sort of? Or am I being dramatic? I am leaving during one of the harshest parts of the year, the Wisconsin winter and this one is supposed to be brutal :-(. I guess I just really need advice on if I should be so worried or if they stand a chance on their own? Or any tips on how to leave without feeling extremely guilty that I’m doing the wrong thing? The lady I’ve worked with to TNR a couple this summer said she’s lived in this neighborhood for over ten years, and this colony all are identical throughout the years to previous colonies, so she is confident they are all doing well. All of the cats we have cared for all are beautiful, and look very healthy. I’m just so sad guys :’-( they’ve started to feel like a big responsibility for me, like my own kitties are.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! You are a very caring person. Can you maybe ask these other ladies to send you emails of updates and pictures?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JadeRochy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! You are a very caring person. Can you maybe ask these other ladies to send you emails of updates and pictures?
Yeah, I am going to stay in touch with her. I’m only moving like ten minutes away, but in a completely different neighborhood. What I’m most concerned about them having had food from me for a year now and then suddenly going without once I move :-( but do you think feral cats adapt? I just really can’t shake the feeling of guiltiness. If she’s also been feeding/sheltering them do you think they’ll be okay? It makes me soooo sad now whenever I see them waiting outside for food, do you think I should wean them away from my house by putting less and less food out so that it’s gradual and they know to start looking elsewhere?

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why don't you get some food shipped to this apartment lady so she can put out more food? I don't see this as a disaster. It's pretty easy to work around this actually.