Newbie: Is this fighting normal?

leahk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! Two weeks ago I adopted two cats from a shelter, Boo and Rosi. Boo is two years old, and he was given to the shelter by his previous owner. Rosi is six years old, she was found as a stray, and she is missing one eye. Both were previously declawed.

I got two cats, instead of one, so they would have company while my husband and I are at work all day--but so far, these two guys don't like each other at all! I am new to cat ownership, and I'd like to know if their behavior is normal.

Rosi hisses and growls at Boo anytime he comes near her. At first Boo was scared of her, but over time he's gotten bolder. It seems that he wants to play. He walks toward her, meowing, while she hisses; then she runs, and he chases her.

It seems that, instead of their fights getting less frequent over time, the fights are getting more frequent. It's getting to where they can't be in the same room together, without it ending with Rosi running away and Boo running after her.

It's Rosi that I'm worried about--she's hiding under the bed as I type this. She's a very sweet cat, and of course I took her home from the shelter to giver her a peaceful life, not to have her constantly on the run!

Is this fighting normal? Do you think it will get better? I read the stickies on cat aggression, but most of the info seemed to be for introducing old cats to new cats, and I adopted these two at once. Is there anything I can do to help them get along? The vet said that I should just stand back and let them work it out on their own, but I hate to see Rosi hiding so much.... Thank you!

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You can try the wait it out approach, that has worked for me in the past, however, they have to have the personality for it.

I would try separating them for a bit and then introduce them slowly. The older kitty is having to adjust to a new home AND a young friend that just wants to play. Combining them may be a little overwhelming for her.

Above all, don't let the young kitty chase her though. If you see it, correct him and redirect his play with a laser light or something else that moves quickly. Do not give him a treat to redirect him, that is rewarding him for chasing her.

And it's only been 2 weeks. These things take time, especially with an older kitty. Be sure to give her lots of quiet time without him where she is the center of your attention.

Good luck to everyone!

felinemama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I totally agree. Your new kids need to be separated and introduced in "neutral territory" for short periods, while you supervise. Both have been through a lot of stress and everything is new to them. I've adopted 2 or more cats in the past and each situation was different. Some became close and others merely tolerated each other. Please take it slowly with them.
Please keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leahk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the advice! I've been using Boo's favorite toy to redirect his attention when he seems like he's about to go after Rosi, and this has worked well. A couple of times yesterday, Rosi has even came over and played with the toy too--so they kind of played "together" a little bit.

Both RAFM and felinemama suggest separating them--I wish I'd thought to do that when I first brought them home! One thing, though, might make separating them difficult. I have a very small house, and there are no doors to close off any of the rooms--it's just a big space, except for a bathroom and the basement. So, my options would be to lock one cat in the bathroom (which is really tiny--a litterbox would take up all the floorspace) or in the basement (where both of them are scared to go).

I thought maybe of those baby fences, but I think the cats could jump over them. Any other ideas for cat-proofing the entry to a room?

felinemama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by leahk

Thank you for the advice! I've been using Boo's favorite toy to redirect his attention when he seems like he's about to go after Rosi, and this has worked well. A couple of times yesterday, Rosi has even came over and played with the toy too--so they kind of played "together" a little bit.

Both RAFM and felinemama suggest separating them--I wish I'd thought to do that when I first brought them home! One thing, though, might make separating them difficult. I have a very small house, and there are no doors to close off any of the rooms--it's just a big space, except for a bathroom and the basement. So, my options would be to lock one cat in the bathroom (which is really tiny--a litterbox would take up all the floorspace) or in the basement (where both of them are scared to go).

I thought maybe of those baby fences, but I think the cats could jump over them. Any other ideas for cat-proofing the entry to a room?
I definitely agree with you. The bathroom is not good or a basement they are both afraid of. I know that some stores have high room separaters used for dogs. You might want to check that online. If you have a Home Depot or similar store near you, they may have some suggestions. You mentioned that they both played with Boo's toy. That's a good sign. After playing together, was there a continuation of fighting?

leahk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by felinemama

You mentioned that they both played with Boo's toy. That's a good sign. After playing together, was there a continuation of fighting?
It didn't turn into a fight, but that may have been because I made sure Boo followed me away from Rosi when it looked like he wanted to wrestle with her.

But--*fingers crossed*--I do think maybe things are moving in the right direction. In general, I've been trying to keep Boo busy with toys (he's energetic!). Rosi seems better about just ignoring Boo rather than hissing whenever he's nearby, and she comes over to watch him when we play.

I do feel bad that she's started staying upstairs all day, but maybe it's alright, since essentially they're separated from each other, which is what I was advised to do here.

felinemama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

It didn't turn into a fight, but that may have been because I made sure Boo followed me away from Rosi when it looked like he wanted to wrestle with her.

But--*fingers crossed*--I do think maybe things are moving in the right direction. In general, I've been trying to keep Boo busy with toys (he's energetic!). Rosi seems better about just ignoring Boo rather than hissing whenever he's nearby, and she comes over to watch him when we play.

I do feel bad that she's started staying upstairs all day, but maybe it's alright, since essentially they're separated from each other, which is what I was advised to do here.
It definitely seems that Boo and Rosi are doing better. They play and have "supervised" interaction. I wouldn't feel bad about Rosi staying upstairs unless she seems depressed. Is she eating normally and otherwise Happy. If so, she's OK with upstairs. Also, it may turn out that you can increase time with Boo and Rosi together and down the road, they may coexist peacefully. I've had many who never loved each other but accepted each other without fighting. That's the ultimate goal of separation at the beginning, if it's possible. Please keep us posted. I've become a big fan of Boo and Rosi

leahk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by felinemama

I've become a big fan of Boo and Rosi
Thanks felinemama! I'm a big fan of them too!

Things seem to be very up and down.

Many times, this past week, I've come home to find them sharing the living room--one on the couch, one at the window, looking very peaceful.

Then, just this morning, there was some kind of huge fight at one of the litter boxes. I ran upstairs to find Rosi in the box, Boo standing outside it, and the little swinging door from the box cover was torn off and thrown across the floor.....

I have no idea what happened, and of course one of my big fears is that this fighting will lead to litter box problems

It all happened while I was rushing out the door to work, so I've been fretting about them all day since.

AND I've been reading horror stories from others here on the site, about fighting cats and elimination problems--I should probably stop freaking myself out!

felinemama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Thanks felinemama! I'm a big fan of them too!

Things seem to be very up and down.

Many times, this past week, I've come home to find them sharing the living room--one on the couch, one at the window, looking very peaceful.

Then, just this morning, there was some kind of huge fight at one of the litter boxes. I ran upstairs to find Rosi in the box, Boo standing outside it, and the little swinging door from the box cover was torn off and thrown across the floor.....

I have no idea what happened, and of course one of my big fears is that this fighting will lead to litter box problems

It all happened while I was rushing out the door to work, so I've been fretting about them all day since.

AND I've been reading horror stories from others here on the site, about fighting cats and elimination problems--I should probably stop freaking myself out!
Yes, stop freaking out
The fact that you've come home at times and found them peacefully together is a great sign BUT it takes a while and there will be some problems along the way. When you read the stories of others, please keep in mind that all situations are different. Just look at the whole picture. You've gotten Boo and Rosi to the point where they are much better.
Hang in there and please let me know. I'm pulling for them and you

leahk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wanted to update and say that I am *cautiously* optimistic that things seem to moving in the right direction!

I've been trying to be consistent with redirecting Boo's attention whenever he's feeling playful and looks like he's about to chase after Rosi. Plus, Rosi also seems less worried about, or scared about, Boo being near her.

My husband and I had a "discussion" (argument
) about spraying Boo with water when he chases Rosi, because I read online that cats don't respond well to negative reinforcement or training via punishment. But, anyway, I gave in to the spray bottle idea, and it does seem to have helped, I have to admit. We only had to spray Boo a couple of times, and he quickly figured out that chasing Rosi under the bed or into a corner was not what we wanted him to be doing.

So, they're definitely not best friends, but they're getting better and better about sharing space. They even both got into the bed with us last night, and slept there at the same time, which I think is a big step forward

felinemama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Great update

Boo and Rosi are doing well. They don't have to love each other, just peacefully co-exist

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If Boo is being litter box dominant make sure you have several litter boxes in different areas. And ones without covers or doors, so he can't hold Rosi under siege in the litter box.

Glad things are going better and hurray for you for adopting from a shelter!