Newbie here with pregnant ragdoll

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
See how the weight gain goes today. Mom produces colostrum the first 24-48 hours before full milk comes in. They may begin to gain better today, but weight loss is never good.

As stated, with 6 kittens, the runts get bullied off the best nipples, so you may want to put the smallest ones who gain the least to mom's nipples while the others sleep, OR, you will need to supplement them 1-2 mL's of kitten formula with a needleless syringe, every couple of hours. They each need to gain 6-10 grams a day minimum.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

michkittycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thankyou. I've put her on mum twice extra today and she/he has had a good feed both time. And so far today gained 2g so will see how they all go tomorrow. I did notice the others pushing this one off. But this one was the biggest born.

Picture of the kitten feeding [emoji]10084[/emoji]

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I want to add,   10 8 10 plus is OK, but not championship status.  It may change for better when real milk is coming in, but not impossible you must change something.  Either even better feeding to momma, and or - some supplementing of the kittens, with all of them if necessary.

But begin to concentrate on the smallest (least gaining).  So rotate them, and or supplement, as SArthur said.
Picture of the kitten feeding [emoji]10084[/emoji]

Last edited by a moderator:

michkittycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Updated weights today
+7
+7
+9
+3
+6
+8

The one who lost has gained +8 today so that's good but gains aren't that great. They've been really happy and contented, they haven't been squeaking that much and they mostly feed and sleep. Her milk should come in today if it hasn't already? Do I start supplementing or wait and see until later on today?
It's been about 22 hours since last weigh so not a full day yet

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Updated weights today
+7
+7
+9
+3
+6
+8

The one who lost has gained +8 today so that's good but gains aren't that great. They've been really happy and contented, they haven't been squeaking that much and they mostly feed and sleep. Her milk should come in today if it hasn't already? Do I start supplementing or wait and see until later on today?
It's been about 22 hours since last weigh so not a full day yet
Good the least gainers had began to gain.  but big gainers are slower now, so something is there not in the elite class...   Supplementing has its dangers if not done skillfully.  So while its advisable to do it when its necessary, it may be better not to do it when its not necessary.

Wait till the full 24 hours measure, during the time collect all the gears, and read on thoroughly how to do it.  Perhaps train some on a doll...

That said, when I began to advise for 15 years ago, we though a kitten whom gets handraised, wont want to nurse from momma.  So it was a very fine balance -, when to try with momma as long as possible, and when to begin to supplement for real. -   But nowadays we know by long practice, its no true problem.  It may be difficult to begin supplement a kitten whom is used to momma, but its never difficult to return to momma.  Momma is best, after all...

What gears do you have?  what kmr / goats milk?  a little needleless syringe?

michkittycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have goats milk and can order a kitten bottle on amazon that will arrive tomorrow if need be.
I would much rather them feed from mum than having to supplement.
It seems like today it's a different kitten that has been fought off the nipple. Perhaps if I spend more time making sure they all get a good feed that may help?
Also they're marks keep rubbing off. I used a colour marker but a couple of them their marks are completely gone so it's getting hard to tell who is who

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have goats milk and can order a kitten bottle on amazon that will arrive tomorrow if need be.
I would much rather them feed from mum than having to supplement.
It seems like today it's a different kitten that has been fought off the nipple. Perhaps if I spend more time making sure they all get a good feed that may help?
Also they're marks keep rubbing off. I used a colour marker but a couple of them their marks are completely gone so it's getting hard to tell who is who
Yes, this is a good idea.  Or simply, some type of rotation.  3 biggest and 3 smallest...  So have a nice an cozy nest nearby, with heating pad, where they can have their after meal-sleep.   :)

You can renew this marking every day, its probably teh simplest.

Goats milk is good.  Raw is excellent but full fat bought in shops is OK too.    

As the kittens get from momma, they may be difficult to take bottle.  It may be easier to use a small syringe.  A little more difficult till you have learned exactly how to do it, but easier to get the fluid into an reluctant baby...

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not worry so much at this stage as to "who is who".  As they grow, their "distinct features" will come out and then it will be a lot easier to name them at that point.  Right now, for assistance purposes from our members, you can call them, say "big orange" or middle black and grey", etc.  A lot of our new "feline grandparents" describe the kittens that way in the beginning.  Just a thought.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I see good news in your report of the weights - everyone gained! The gains were all in the 6-10 gram range except for one who only gained 3. It seems they are getting off to a nice start. Mom will get more and more milk. The kittens should be fine, but continue weighing daily. As Stefan said, rotating may solve the problem IF there is one. If you do need to supplement, they may not take a bottle, and therefore you would use a needleless syringe.

michkittycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Updated weights today
+9
+22
+11
+21
+16
+14
Looks like they're all gaining well on their own [emoji]128522[/emoji]
How can you tell if there girls or boys?
2 are a bit more sticking out than the other 4?
I'm guessing 4 girls 2boys?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Now, this is differences!  Even I, Im satisifed now.  Continue to keep watch, but the Alert can be downgraded.

Yes, comparing them with each other is the easiest way.   Sometimes its not easy, even experienced persons had been known to take wrong, and a male cat suddenly had kittens below the bed...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's much easier to be sure of the sex in a couple weeks from now. They are tiny and sometimes the testicles do not descend until the kitten grows.

The weights are fantastic! Kudos to mama kitty for making so much good milk! Continue weighing daily for now. [emoji]128571[/emoji]

michkittycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thankyou guys. Kittens are doing great they all had big gains yesterday.
I wanted to pick your brains StefanZ about colours and genetics if possible.

Mum is a seal point and dad is a chocolate point which to my knowledge means we should get 50/50 on colours however if say both of them carried the dilute gene does that mean we could possibly get blue or lilac?
Mums mum was a blue and I know that some of dads brothers and sisters were lilac, so I'm thinking they could potentially both carry the dilute gene (which I am going to DNA test them for) just interested to see if they could potentially have blues or lilacs

Thankyou

michkittycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah thankyou Brian. That makes for interesting reading. I knew the basics but it's really good to have that information there.
Thanks a lot